Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel video and photography forum?

Travel video and photography forum?

Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Two thumbs up

Originally Posted by birdstrike
FYI, It is my intention to initiate the first FlyerTalk Photo Contest in Trip Reports tomorrow morning.
^ ^ Good idea re photo contest (if monthly, it is even better; with subjects pre-announced). Be sure web site servers are capable of handling the storage issues and bandwidth issues.
I also endorse a forum or sub-forum dedicated to two sections - "Gallery Section - just to show one's work" and "Basics Section - to cover fundamental techniques". There exists lots of resources on the web addressing various levels of digital imaging already. FT need not duplicate.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
^ ^ Good idea re photo contest (if monthly, it is even better; with subjects pre-announced). Be sure web site servers are capable of handling the storage issues and bandwidth issues.
This first contest is running now:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669583

Since images are hosted at sites chosen by the contestants, storage is not an issue for FT. Bandwidth is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall data-flux that passes through here every day.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
We have a travel technology forum; why not one on photography/videography?

I'm for it for what it's worth.
Yes. Ditto. A good idea and a ripe area for discussion. ^ ^ ^

Let's not forget, it's not just about "travel" photography, but also some might be interested in advice about photography of planes and such (best locations, lenses, etc.). I'm only interested in the former and not at all interested in the latter, but some might be.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
I just stumbled upon this thread off of a signature file from another forum. Count me in. Myself and several other magazine photographers are fond members of FT due to our travels and whatnot. There is a wealth of photographic knowledge already on the site.

Last edited by photojojo; Mar 16, 2007 at 1:51 pm Reason: poor grammar
Old Mar 18, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by birdstrike
This first contest is running now:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669583

Since images are hosted at sites chosen by the contestants, storage is not an issue for FT. Bandwidth is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall data-flux that passes through here every day.
Not even a drop in the bucket - with the images hosted at other sites, there is no bandwidth cost to FT.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I would also like to support the creation of a forum for travel video and photography. Some more gear oriented stuff gets talked about in the Travel Tech forum but a dedicated forum for this topic would really be a great asset to those of us who are both frequent travelers and photographers. Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This Navy photo officer (6472) supports the proposed forum. ^

If approved, I'll share my experiences of shooting stills and video on six continents, numerous seas, and at FL350.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djerikd
This Navy photo officer
Wow!

If approved, I'll share my experiences of shooting stills and video on six continents, numerous seas, and at FL350.
Even if not, I hope you'll share your experiences -- I'll bet they're fascinating! And for starters, I'm curious what a Navy photo officer does. Are you one of those guys who are in the midst of combat armed only with a camera to document military actions? Are Navy ships equipped with darkrooms? Is everything digital now?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTravel
Wow!

Even if not, I hope you'll share your experiences -- I'll bet they're fascinating! And for starters, I'm curious what a Navy photo officer does. Are you one of those guys who are in the midst of combat armed only with a camera to document military actions? Are Navy ships equipped with darkrooms? Is everything digital now?
I don't mean to threadjack, but most of the time my job is just the usual paperwork drill that comes with any senior management position along with some job-specific technical expertise. We generally work with the public affairs program, but also have some intelligence and ground/sea-based combat documentation responsibilities. I have carried a camera in hostile and dusty places, but always with a full loadout of weapons (I usually carry a 9mm Beretta and a M-4 carbine (basically a baby M-16)) and body armor. About 10 years ago we converted all of our large-deck ships to digital darkrooms (aircraft carriers and large amphibious assault ships) to eliminate the production of hazardous materials. The transition was costly at first, but has paid off in reduced disposal costs and eliminated harm to the environment caused by accidental spills.

IF you've got time to kill, HERE is a link to our 2006 year in review.

I'll share more stories if the forum gets approved.

Last edited by djerikd; Mar 27, 2007 at 2:23 pm Reason: added Link
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

Thanks for the link. I did not have time to kill. That's why I went thru the 6 min 40 sec slide show only once. But I got the site book-marked. Great action photos! Each one tells an un-ending story, I'll bet.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ah, now I see what you do. Some amazing pictures in a very nice presentation that reminded me why I respect and appreciate our service men and women, a good thing in these divisive and heavily politicized times as its something I think all Americans can agree on.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:50 pm

I really enjoyed looking through those images, thank you for that! And I truly hope you will share some stories, whether the forum is approved or not!
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:49 am

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
I'll chime in with support for the proposed forum.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I am not a good photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I love taking pictures of people. Several years ago, Ozstamps told me that I should try to find a way to share my FlyerTalk people pictures, so I did, so I did. It is great fun and helps me remember whom I met, when and where, along with all of the great times we have had.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but I think they are wrong. A picture is worth several million words.

I love everybody's pictures. It almost makes me feel like I was there. So, whatever we can do to encourage more pictures is a fabulous idea as far as I am concerned.

^ ^ Hurray for pictures!
Old Apr 3, 2007, 6:07 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The TalkBoard is discussing this matter and appreciates your continued input.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.