Wiki Posts
Search

a Spirit Airlines forum, it's time

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I will be moving the two "closed to posting" forums under United Airlines in to the Discontinued Programs boneyard in early January. I'll also be moving the AirTrans forum at that time. Last month, I moved the two forums that were under the Delta forum head. The closed AA and US forums won't be moved yet as that airline merger has occurred very recently. People are still referring back to threads in the closed forums.

Are those the ones of which you speak or are there others?
At this moment, AA forum readership is as follows:

American Airlines | AAdvantage (current): 339 (50 members & 289 guests)

Legacy American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger - closed): 106 (3 members & 103 guests)

Legacy US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger - closed): 13 (1 members & 12 guests)

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 17, 2015 at 4:42 pm
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Talking

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I will be moving the two "closed to posting" forums under United Airlines in to the Discontinued Programs boneyard in early January. I'll also be moving the AirTrans forum at that time. Last month, I moved the two forums that were under the Delta forum head. The closed AA and US forums won't be moved yet as that airline merger has occurred very recently. People are still referring back to threads in the closed forums.

Are those the ones of which you speak or are there others?
Those are the ones, and thank you!

If nothing else, it will save my occasional mis-click on the closed UA section when I click too fast!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm not sure that Spirit would get more active discussions on here if Spirit had its own forum, but (then again) absent trying it, who knows for sure. I'm just curious where the line is being drawn and about why it is being drawn where it is. And I'm talking more about how each of us individually decides than about a collective vote by TalkBoard.

There are circumstance where increased forum specialization undermines information acquisition/sharing and discussion on a topic; and there are circumstances where decreased/reversed forum specialization undermines information sharing/acquisition and discussion.

Spirit is enough of a different beast and a large enough airline that I think it worth trying a separate forum. If it flops, after say 1 or 2 years of failing to meet some kind of predetermined activity criteria, merging it back into some amalgamated forum is easy enough to do.
I think a Spirit forum should have a go. As GUWonder pointed out, it could be that the program doesn't attract as much attention as it's lumped in with the "Other..." forum. I didn't even find, or think to look for, Spirit threads for a long time after joining.

Spirit had about 17M emplaned passengers in 2015 and has a frequent flyer program that some folks get a lot of utility out of, and others may be able to use it more effectively if there were more discussion of it.

There is a separate Frontier forum so I just checked some quick statistics since they're both in the ULCC model. Both airlines serve a similar quantity of destinations (57 Spirit and 55 Frontier). Spirit has a current fleet of 79 aircraft to Frontier's 61. Frontier has around 275 daily departures to Spirit's approx. 250 (I assume these vary with seasonal flights). Offhand I couldn't locate 2015 total pax emplanements for Frontier but in 2013 it was about 10M so they're likely in the same ballpark as Spirit anyway. The current EarlyReturns program is not anything to write home about these days.

I don't know the history of the F9 forum creation but I realize that Frontier was a different animal when that forum began years ago. But in their present forms the NK and F9 airlines are certainly comparable and their FFPs are more in the same ballpark than the other major carriers. If the only argument is that there aren't a lot of active Spirit threads now, while Frontier is a decently busy forum, I'd circle back to the quoted post and my own thoughts, that traffic may build up if there is a dedicated forum which begins to grow organically. Why not try it and see?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Great analysis!

Bruce
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Six Spirit threads in the last five weeks. Other than the long running "Lower Fares at the Airport" thread, the most posts any thread has is 12.

I'm still not seeing the demand.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Why not try it and see?
I am the type of person who would rather refer back to factual information and proof rather than merely speculate what could or might happen.

Despite the lack of actual demand, I am in favor of launching a forum dedicated to Spirit Airlines and revisiting it after a specific period of time — say, six months or a year. If the demand or views never develop to be enough to support a forum on its own, then TalkBoard can vote to deactivate that forum, as we have voted to do for several now-former forums during the past year or so.
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Great analysis!

Bruce
I was also impressed with your analysis and data, 84fiero. Thank you for putting the time and effort into it, as it helped sway me further towards voting to launch a forum dedicated to Spirit Airlines should a vote occur.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Despite the lack of actual demand, I am in favor of launching a forum dedicated to Spirit Airlines and revisiting it after a specific period of time — say, six months or a year. If the demand or views never develop to be enough to support a forum on its own, then TalkBoard can vote to deactivate that forum, as we have voted to do for several now-former forums during the past year or so.
If that's the case I think you're going to have to make the motion yourself, I'm happy to help you with it if you want but I can tell you I plan to vote no on it.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by CMK10
Six Spirit threads in the last five weeks. Other than the long running "Lower Fares at the Airport" thread, the most posts any thread has is 12.

Not that this is a significant difference; but there are an additional twelve discussions over the years pertaining to Spirit Airlines in the MilesBuzz forum — one of them which posted recently.
If that's the case I think you're going to have to make the motion yourself, I'm happy to help you with it if you want but I can tell you I plan to vote no on it.
I just might eventually do that; but I would prefer to read more input from other FlyerTalk members first.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Not all discussion about Spirit is in threads that are in the "Other ...." forum; but even if all such discussions were, it's possible that a separate NK forum about the airline would result in more posts about a topic.

Also, is it really necessary that a thread have a lot of posts for the thread to be really useful? Sometimes view counts speak to utility more than even post counts.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Rather than address piece meal requests such as this, I think it might be a better idea if a wider, more strategic review is undertaken in order to identify potential new airline forums. This initiative might involve an ongoing due diligence exercise, studying the traffic being generated in all four regional airlines forums.

Is this an exercise TalkBoard would be interesting in leading?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
... twelve discussions over the years pertaining to Spirit Airlines in the MilesBuzz forum .
Appears to be a couple dozen in TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:07 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by mia
Appears to be a couple dozen in TravelBuzz.
Exactly right. That is one reason I support creating a Spirit Airlines Forum.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just curious - in the other forums where Spirit appears, have the mods moved them to the Other North/South American forums? Sounds like they haven't & would be interested in knowing why not. Obviously they know of the "Others" existence.

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:35 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others

Neither do I. Even with a few thread created, I just don't see the demand there.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
With TB going away I feel like this should be the final push to treat Spirit with some respect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.