a Spirit Airlines forum, it's time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

a Spirit Airlines forum, it's time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
kipper, I haven't seen a new case made by gbkiiii to justify a Spirit forum and not seen a lot of change since last year when this came up for a vote.
I wasn't suggesting that there would be enough traffic. I was suggesting that those who want the forum do the work in regards to compiling statistics and such.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
So why does Spirit and others deserve to be put into the "budget travel section"? There are more Spirit flights than Virgin America and others, yet it is just "budget"? There are much more posts about this airline that seem to be noticed by the TalkBoard body.
I may have posted in the other thread that there may be some changes due to FlyerTalk's organizational model, but as far as a dedicated Spirit forum goes, I have seen nothing from you or from anyone else (well, subtract you and it's pretty much crickets around here ) that convinces me a dedicated Spirit forum is necessary.

At this point, in the absence of solid data (or even just the filled-out questionnaire that's been suggested to you several times) from you showing that a Spirit forum is warranted, the farthest I'm willing to go is a shared forum for LCCs.

Frankly, you have been so adamant about this subject for awhile with practically zero support from anyone else that I have to wonder what your motivations are for pushing for this are. I will support this forum when I become convinced (with solid data) that it is beneficial and/or when I see an overwhelming tide of support and demand for the forum. To date, neither one of those has even come close to happening.

If you want my vote, you have some work to do.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
So why does Spirit and others deserve to be put into the "budget travel section"?
As far as Spirit goes, it's because it would be rude to just delete them.

There are more Spirit flights than Virgin America and others, yet it is just "budget"? There are much more posts about this airline that seem to be noticed by the TalkBoard body.
There's little interest in discussing Spirit and with good reason. Until there's a compelling case (see the criteria for starting new fora which you have pointedly ignored) for a forum, Budget Travel is where Spirit belongs. Barely.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
I may have posted in the other thread that there may be some changes due to FlyerTalk's organizational model, but as far as a dedicated Spirit forum goes, I have seen nothing from you or from anyone else (well, subtract you and it's pretty much crickets around here ) that convinces me a dedicated Spirit forum is necessary.

At this point, in the absence of solid data (or even just the filled-out questionnaire that's been suggested to you several times) from you showing that a Spirit forum is warranted, the farthest I'm willing to go is a shared forum for LCCs.

Frankly, you have been so adamant about this subject for awhile with practically zero support from anyone else that I have to wonder what your motivations are for pushing for this are. I will support this forum when I become convinced (with solid data) that it is beneficial and/or when I see an overwhelming tide of support and demand for the forum. To date, neither one of those has even come close to happening.

I am more than fine, with a combined forum for Spirit/Ryan/EasyJet etc.

I started this odd journey after wondering where the Spirit thread was and reading the long sorted history of this topic, for 2006. It did have its own forum (as I understand it) for a couple of days.

The whole thing around this airline and the others is quite odd, with high passions of those whom don't like them.

At the very least, I was able to get the first vote on Spirit, since 2006!

If you want my vote, you have some work to do.

This is fine with me, as it seems more than reasonable!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Does, The 2015 Value Airline of the Year, Deserve Its Own Forum?

Spirit has been named Air Transport World, 2015 Value Airline of the Year: based on this recent honor, and the fact that Spirit is the top discussion topic of the budget airline forum North America; I propose the Spirit be given its own forum.

This would be an important milestone for flyertalk, as Spirit would become the first Ultra-Low-Cost Carrier, to get this recognition. @:-)

http://ir.spirit.com/releasedetail.c...c-2MmNUc-9m0xJ

http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/Attachment/31016

Congrats to Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza!

Last edited by gkbiiii; Feb 26, 2015 at 3:13 pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I think I've heard this before.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ghlight=spirit
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looking at the last month in Budget North and South American Airlines I see 14 Spirit Airlines threads. Barring some other development, that data doesn't seem to lend itself to the airline needing its own forum, sorry.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As you can see there has been previous discussion on this topic; you can read the previous, lengthy thread via the link in the second post.

To further your cause, you should read the criteria TalkBoard considers important in evaluating establishing a new forum; if you find and share substantiating information and data, those will aid in bringing your suggestion to fruition.

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Passed June 28, 2010:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...m-changes.html
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
To answer the OPs question, no, it does not until it's proven there is a need.

Can this thread be merged with the other one?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In the interests of full disclosure, OP, it appears you work for Spirit, correct? It's not tequired, but it probably affects the discussion.

And BTW, congratulations.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...l#post24421027

We Won!
Spirit Is The Value Airline Of The Year, 2015
Spirit has been named Air Transport World's Value Airline of the Year! This is a huge honor for us. But an even bigger honor is having so many awesomely smart passengers (like yourself) fly with us. Thanks to you, we can give more people more go, every day!

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 27, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
In the interests of full disclosure, OP, it appears you work for Spirit, correct? It's not tequired, but it probably affects the discussion.

And BTW, congratulations.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...l#post24421027

No relation to Spirit.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Spirit has many fans, including some friends of mine. However they don't read FlyerTalk. People here collect miles and points or at least they fly a lot. Those categories have very little overlap with Spirit's customers. That's why you don't see a lot of Spirit threads here.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm having a flashback...or second verse, same as the first.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nsx
Spirit has many fans, including some friends of mine. However they don't read FlyerTalk. People here collect miles and points or at least they fly a lot. Those categories have very little overlap with Spirit's customers. That's why you don't see a lot of Spirit threads here.
That's probably true, but there are exceptions. I live near Ft. Lauderdale, Spirit's home base, so I can use them to fly, usually nonstop and extremely cheaply, to dozens of locations in North, South and Central America. And I do, maybe half a dozen times a year. I'm a member of their Free Spirit frequent-flyer program, and I hold their Mastercard. Many of my flights cost me just 5000 miles round-trip, plus some nominal taxes. You have to be really clever to avoid all of Spirit's fees, but to date, I have not given them one extra nickel!

Anyway, Spirit is a close second (behind JetBlue) for busiest airline at FLL. It's really becoming a major player in the airline industry, and giving it a forum on FlyerTalk would not be inappropriate in any way.

Bruce
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bdschobel
That's probably true, but there are exceptions. I live near Ft. Lauderdale, Spirit's home base, so I can use them to fly, usually nonstop and extremely cheaply, to dozens of locations in North, South and Central America. And I do, maybe half a dozen times a year. I'm a member of their Free Spirit frequent-flyer program, and I hold their Mastercard. Many of my flights cost me just 5000 miles round-trip, plus some nominal taxes. You have to be really clever to avoid all of Spirit's fees, but to date, I have not given them one extra nickel!

Anyway, Spirit is a close second (behind JetBlue) for busiest airline at FLL. It's really becoming a major player in the airline industry, and giving it a forum on FlyerTalk would not be inappropriate in any way.

Bruce
Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but to analogize it to another issue the TalkBoard is working on, Enterprise is the largest rental company in the world, and yet they do not have (nor is the TalkBoard proposing opening) their own, dedicated rental car forum. Why? Because:

-Their rewards program is pretty worthless and thus does not attract a lot of attention
-The rewards program's structure and operation is relatively simple, so there is not much to be said or asked about it
-Enterprise's target market and most of their clientele are first-time or very infrequent car renters who are not likely to be seeking information out on a forum like ours

Spirit isn't even king of the airline marketplace (like Enterprise is with the car rental world), so the fact that they are an increasingly popular airline really has little impact on the level of discussion they will engender on FlyerTalk.

Last edited by jackal; Mar 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.