Reload this Page >

a Spirit Airlines forum, it's time

a Spirit Airlines forum, it's time

Old Dec 6, 15, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Well then perhaps you would like to craft a motion and put it to a vote?
For the motion, can you suggest some predetermined measures for the forum dissolution criteria to be triggered if the forum fails to meet the measures for post count/view count/thread count metrics say 12 or 24 months after creation? Are there some other metrics that you would apply for triggering dissolution of what I would call a cemetery forum?

This way, a new forum creation won't lead to a bunch of cemetery forums being retained for too long.
Old Dec 6, 15, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Despite the fact that I am willing to give it a try, I am not yet ready to craft a motion, as I still want to hear from other FlyerTalk members first.

Not many have responded to the latest round in this thread; but perhaps I should ask Carol or a Senior Moderator to post an announcement in the Other North and South American Airlines forum that a separate Spirit Airlines forum is being considered by TalkBoard.

I prefer an actual announcement over starting a new thread because I would prefer that the discussion occurs here and not there.
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Are there some other metrics that you would apply for triggering dissolution of what I would call a cemetery forum?
That is actually a good question which might be worth a discussion with Carol and Internet Brands.

The reason why I say this is because I do not know the ramifications opening and closing forums on FlyerTalk could cause in general beyond what is part of the purview of TalkBoard. Can it adversely affect search engine optimization, for example?
Old Dec 6, 15, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You don't need a Senior Mod or Carol to post a thread, I went ahead and created one.
Old Dec 7, 15, 12:58 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You don't need a Senior Mod or Carol to post a thread, I went ahead and created one.
Creating a thread about a topic and posting an announcement about a topic are not necessarily one and the same thing.
Old Dec 7, 15, 7:08 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We need more discussion and ideally a consensus before someone rushes to make a motion.
Old Dec 7, 15, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
We need more discussion and ideally a consensus before someone rushes to make a motion.
Well that's a matter of opinion, one could argue as this topic has been open for nine years it would hardly be a rush.
Old Dec 7, 15, 10:55 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
True, but after 9 years there haven't been a gazillion posts either. #s seem to be down this year.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 15, 7:23 pm

As one of the frequent posters in regards to Spirit, I feel that I've lumped some different topic items into the "lower fares at the airport thread" just because I felt that most people that wanted to see it would see it there.

I definitely scroll down and open the forum each time to see if there are any replies to the Spirit threads. Spirit has been making a huge push in regards to their FF program with their credit card and I'll bet there are more people than ever using it.

I was actually considering starting a thread today to talk about how NK has started blocking Fri/Sun reward redemptions but hesitated because I didn't want to clutter the "other" forum.

I feel like Spirit certainly wouldn't be the least frequented board open right now.
Old Dec 8, 15, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
I was actually considering starting a thread today to talk about how NK has started blocking Fri/Sun reward redemptions but hesitated because I didn't want to clutter the "other" forum.
...so are you saying that there might be more discussions dedicated to Spirit Airlines if it had its own forum on FlyerTalk?
Old Dec 8, 15, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can anyone possibly clutter a forum that is so infrequently used the first page holds every thread made in the last four weeks?
Old Dec 9, 15, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
...so are you saying that there might be more discussions dedicated to Spirit Airlines if it had its own forum on FlyerTalk?
Yeah, but it's rather silly I know. Like I said, I tend to just post things in the spirit thread instead of starting a new one.

How can anyone possibly clutter a forum that is so infrequently used the first page holds every thread made in the last four weeks?
Very fair point.

I will note thatthere is potential for interest. The thread announcing this discussion thread has 148 views in 3 days, so somebody is at least interested.
Old Dec 9, 15, 9:02 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
VX has a loyalty program worth considering. Frontier used to have such a program. Spirit's program has nothing that an FT'er would be attracted to. That reduces the scope of discussion.

I believe that Spirit will continue to grow, and some day they may feel the need for a semi-competitive loyalty program. Southwest's Herb Kelleher famously resisted creating a program for many years before giving in.
I live near FLL, Spirit's headquarters, and fly Spirit several times a year, often using free tickets earned through my use of Spirit's Mastercard. I don't see that much of a difference between Spirit's "Free Spirit" frequent-flyer program and those of other airlines. Spirit allows miles to be earned through flying, dining, credit card use, etc. And those miles can -- and are -- redeemed easily for free flights (of course, you still have to pay Spirit's endless fees).

I really don't understand why Spirit is treated like a second-class airline in this regard. I don't see much difference. And I actually use Spirit.

Bruce
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:45 am

YES

Originally Posted by DTownBrian View Post
Forgive me for being igonorant here, but how do you vote?
I have no idea where or how to vote for this. Did I miss a link somewhere? Possibly our comment is vote?
If so, I vote YES. I'm taking my first Spirit airlines trip tomorrow and I have all sorts of questions. The anxiety over that bag fee (I paid for a carry on, my husband did not) is there. Would love a forum instead of having to do searches on ft for any Spirit info or answers. Thanks please DO this!
Old Dec 9, 15, 12:15 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, SPG
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal View Post
I have no idea where or how to vote for this. Did I miss a link somewhere? Possibly our comment is vote?
You actually don't. There is a member-elected TalkBoard that is representative of the membership of FlyerTalk and are the only ones who create and vote on motions. But the members of the TalkBoard should hopefully be reading this thread, will see your support of the forum, and hopefully act accordingly.
Old Dec 9, 15, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal View Post
You already did “vote” for this; and I am taking what you posted under consideration.
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
But the members of the TalkBoard should hopefully be reading this thread, will see your support of the forum, and hopefully act accordingly.
We are monitoring this discussion.

Search this Thread