FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   a Spirit Airlines forum, it's time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/539713-spirit-airlines-forum-its-time.html)

rcowen Mar 22, 2006 12:09 pm

a Spirit Airlines forum, it's time

Now that Spirit Airlines has a frequent flyer program (FreeSpirit) that they claim will be very different, I think it's time for a dedicated forum for posting actual results, tips & suggestions.

Spiff Mar 22, 2006 12:15 pm

Here's the web page:

http://www.spiritair.com/welcome.aspx?pg=fsmemberguide

In light of many people defecting from NW over their crappy Coach ChoiceSM blunder, I'd be inclined to support such a new forum.

How about some more support?

Airlinetraveler Mar 22, 2006 1:56 pm

I agree 100%

And while FT is at it, can they add a section in the Frequent Flyer Wiki on Spirit too? It appears FT doesn't let you edit the Subcategories page with the table of contents - you can only edit the content once you select an airline program.

masp73 Mar 22, 2006 2:04 pm

I'd be all for that

I'd like to see a Spirit forum too. I'm all for starting one up on the site.

aviationkiwi Mar 22, 2006 2:34 pm

Set Spirit Free, I support the creation of the FreeSpirit Forum ^

mentaljujitsu Mar 22, 2006 3:31 pm

Did somebody say Free? I'm all for it!

I like how the #1 flyer gets to name a plane. I would name it the Spirit of "I'm #1 and you are not!"

J/K...please do add a forum so that we figure out the secrets of yet another program.

Thanks!

PineyBob Mar 22, 2006 6:00 pm

I happen to think it's an excellent idea.

HRDiva Mar 23, 2006 5:14 am

The day Free Spirit was announced, there was a forum created. Then they pulled it the next day. I sent a message asking why and received no reply. It would make sense to have one!

doc Mar 23, 2006 6:34 am

Originally Posted by HRDiva
The day Free Spirit was announced, there was a forum created. Then they pulled it the next day. I sent a message asking why and received no reply. It would make sense to have one!

---

Really? I do not know what happened, unfortunately, no less why.

When was it that you wrote, and to whom?

In any case, I can assure you that you're member elected TB will promptly give this matter due consideration.

As Spiff notres above, I too am curious how much traffic it would generate.

Thanks! :)

Mark

ozstamps Mar 23, 2006 8:12 am

Originally Posted by rcowen

Now that Spirit Airlines has a frequent flyer program (FreeSpirit) that they claim will be very different, I think it's time for a dedicated forum for posting actual results, tips & suggestions.

Seems to be some support from members for this.

Floated for discussion by Talk Board today.

FreeSpiritFan Mar 23, 2006 12:18 pm

I just created my handle to show support! Get this up and running!

I stopped using my US Airways handle on FT about 2 years ago when I stopped using US Airways. I don't travel quite as much as I used to, but when I do I love the LCC's like Spirit. I fly their FLL - DCA route a bunch and love the new Airbus. The last two flights I've been on, the plane was not even a month old.

Has anyone else noticed the 15% discounts that they are advertising here on FT? I guess if they are good enough to advertise, they should be good enough for a forum!!!

--Cheers!

chexfan Mar 23, 2006 1:41 pm

Seems like a no-brainer to me...

Spiff Mar 23, 2006 1:56 pm

Motion made by wharvey and seconded by Spiff: move that the Talkboard recommend the creation of a Spirit Airlines Forum.

Voting should commence shortly. :)

Spiff Mar 23, 2006 2:06 pm

A vote has been posted and voting is underway! :)

DTownBrian Mar 23, 2006 2:20 pm

How Do You Vote?

Forgive me for being igonorant here, but how do you vote? :confused:

chexfan Mar 23, 2006 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by DTownBrian
Forgive me for being igonorant here, but how do you vote? :confused:

The Talk Board Members are voting.

Current TalkBoard Members:
Cholula
ozstamps
doc
wharvey
attorney28
ScottC
missydarlin
gleff *
Spiff

* President

FreeSpiritFan Mar 23, 2006 6:46 pm

Can you see the results anywhere as they vote?

Or do we have to wait until they finish the vote? How long does that normally take?

Originally Posted by chexfan
The Talk Board Members are voting.

Current TalkBoard Members:
Cholula
ozstamps
doc
wharvey
attorney28
ScottC
missydarlin
gleff *
Spiff

* President

Spiff Mar 23, 2006 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by FreeSpiritFan
Or do we have to wait until they finish the vote? How long does that normally take?

You have to wait until the vote is closed and then I will post the results here and in the TalkBoard Official Voting Decisions Forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=605

Votes are open for 14 days but may be closed earlier if all TalkBoard members vote before the 14 day voting period is up.

HRDiva Mar 25, 2006 7:00 am

And for those who see things in a blur:

www.spiritair.com

vs.

http://www.iflygo.com/

:eek:

masp73 Mar 28, 2006 11:25 am

Skills to master

And for those who see things in a blur:

www.spiritair.com

vs.

http://www.iflygo.com/

:eek:

Looks like someone mastered the art of "save target as" :)

Spiff Apr 3, 2006 6:44 am

Motion Tabled

On Mar 31, 06 at 8:59 pm:

Moved by gleff and seconded by ozstamps for a seven-day vote:

To table the motion on whether to create a Spirit Air forum.

Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff

Voting no: wharvey

Did not vote: doc

ozstamps Apr 3, 2006 6:51 am

This motion has the effect of shelving the vote referred to above in this thread.

Spiff Apr 3, 2006 6:53 am

Why was this motion tabled?

We discussed whether or not we were moving too quickly in the creation of this forum. The Spirit Airlines Free Spirit program is very new and those who voted for tabling the motion seemed to agree that it needed some time to mature in the Other North American Airlines forum before being given its own forum.

One suggestion that came up in our discussion was to revisit this issue in 6 months' time. We may revisit the issue sooner (or later) than that.

Please continue to support the Free Spirit program in the Other forum.

HRDiva Apr 3, 2006 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Why was this motion tabled?

Please continue to support the Free Spirit program in the Other forum.

What other forum? I too, am disappointed.

Spiff Apr 3, 2006 5:29 pm

What other forum? I too, am disappointed.

Other North & South America Frequent Flyer Programs

Spiff Apr 3, 2006 5:32 pm

Please Stay on Topic

Spirit Airlines - Free Spirit Frequent Flyer Program.

Any inquiries as to whether/why someone votes the way that they did should be directed to that person only and he/she will answer if he/she cares to/is able to.

Thank you.

kokonutz Apr 3, 2006 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
On Mar 31, 06 at 8:59 pm:

Moved by gleff and seconded by ozstamps for a seven-day vote:

To table the motion on whether to create a Spirit Air forum.

Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff

Voting no: wharvey

Did not vote: doc

I'd like to know from wharvey whether his vote against tabling was because he supported the forum or because he wanted an up or down vote on the forum.

I'd also like to know from Doc why he decided not to vote.

It seems to me that this TB is creating an impressive record of NOT doing things, ie:
Creating a Mens Travel Forum
Creating a Seattle Froum
Creating a Singles Forum
Creating a Mattress Run Forum
Allowing name changes
Allowing posters to read TB deliberations
Correcting where WV is located
and now Creating a Spirit Forum

If posters COULD read the TB deliberations would there be a lot of 'if it aint broke dont fix it' being bandied about?! :-:

Texas Apr 3, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm confused. Why isn't there a Free Spirit forum? We need to vote for it?

Spiff Apr 3, 2006 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Texas
I'm confused. Why isn't there a Free Spirit forum? We need to vote for it?

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

If you read the thread from beginning to end, you'll see that Free Spirit is a relatively new program and we're looking for support for the program before it gets its own forum.

Voting for new forums, among other things, is the job of your elected TalkBoard representatives. :)

Football Fan Apr 4, 2006 2:09 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I'd also like to know from Doc why he decided not to vote.

Perhaps a look at doc's moniker (or what is stated below the moniker) could help answer your question.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/member.php?u=823

Dovster Apr 4, 2006 5:48 am

It seems to me that this TB is creating an impressive record of NOT doing things, ie:
Creating a Mens Travel Forum
Creating a Seattle Froum
Creating a Singles Forum
Creating a Mattress Run Forum
Allowing name changes
Allowing posters to read TB deliberations
Correcting where WV is located
and now Creating a Spirit Forum

To be honest, TB has always rejected more ideas than it has accepted. There is nothing wrong with that -- most ideas presented to it really should not be implemented.

Non-members have generally not been aware of this simply because no action was taken and hence no announcement was made. eg: If FTerX went to TB Topics and said he wants Israel's Arkia Airlines to have its own forum, a TB member might ask on the private forum whether there is any interest. When he sees that there isn't, the matter is dropped -- without ever coming to a vote.

The only problem lies in the fact that ordinary FTers can not see that the matter was raised -- or see why no member made a motion. (In the hypothetical case I just raised, someone would be certain to point out that there are not many Arkia flyers on F/T and its frequent flyer club has so few options and offers that it is not worth having a forum for it.)

If FTers could see the discussions, I think that the majority of them, in most cases, would agree with TB. As things stand now, of course, they are simply left frustrated by the lack of information.

For example, even as a former member, with a good idea of how TB works, I am left puzzled by this vote. Obviously one member (WHarvey) felt that it would be a good idea and made a motion to establish the forum. A second member (Spiff), found enough value in it to second the motion.

The normal procedure would be to vote on it and if six members favored it, to recommend that it be approved. Without those six in favor, it would fail.

Instead, TB took an action which I have never seen before -- Gleff moved to table the existing motion, OzStamps seconded it, and these two members, along with five others, voted in favor. Even more unusual, it decided to hold this vote with a one week cut off, instead of the usual two weeks, which I have only seen done in emergency cases.

With 7 of the 9 members voting in favor of this, I would have to presume that there was a very good reason for doing this instead of simply voting against the original motion (which could always be brought up again some time in the future).

Still, I have no idea of what that reason was. It was not only because TB needed more time to see how Spirit was doing. It could have accomplished that, as I said, by voting down the existing motion now and raising it again in the future. There had to be an additional factor of which non-members are not aware.

This is not to suggest that there was some kind of anti-Spirit conspiracy. As I know TB, and its members, I would find that idea rather ridiculous. My gut feeling is that given the all the information I would agree that TB took the right track.

But how can I -- or any member -- know that without knowing all the details?

FreeSpiritFan Apr 4, 2006 7:19 am

I bet it had something to do w/ this thread losing momentum.

Would I be correct to say that if we talk about Spirit a bunch on the AA, NW, and US boards that those members would eventually want to "expunge" the Spirit talk onto another board?

kokonutz Apr 4, 2006 1:23 pm

Would I be correct to say that if we talk about Spirit a bunch on the AA, NW, and US boards that those members would eventually want to "expunge" the Spirit talk onto another board?

For now your threads would be put into the pegatory of 'other NA programs.'

The decision mystifies me. If FLYERtalk is not about airline frequent flyer programs, ...rig is it about!?!?!?!?!!?

I sure do wish I was privvy to the debate!

wharvey Apr 4, 2006 2:05 pm

[QUOTE=kokonutz]I'd like to know from wharvey whether his vote against tabling was because he supported the forum or because he wanted an up or down vote on the forum.

Kokonutz... I am always glad to explain my decisions... :)

As Spiff announced earlier in this thread, I actually made the motion for the creation of this forum... and it was being voted on.

So, I definitely support this forum and believe it should be given a chance... I seem to remember JetBlue being given a forum BEFORE its frequent flyer program started. The Talkboard voted to wait until it announced its program... I was the only dissenter... and Randy created the forum against the wishes of the majority of the Talkboard. So, I am not a firm believer that a need for a forum needs to exist all the time. (I reserve the right to change that view depending on the forum request... :) )

Without talking about deliberations, I can also say I was against this tabling for one simple reason: We are an advisory board and as such, should be able to make recommendations that may or MAY NOT be what Randy wants. He can choose whether or not to accept our recommendations... and he has done both in the past.

Finally, if people did not want the forum... they could have simply voted against the motion to create the forum. Members have done that before... and then revoted for the same motion some time later.

Understand, as was posted in this thread, an Up-or-Down vote on this forum was taking place at the time this tabling motion was put on the table. To this day, I believe this vote should have been allowed to proceed, the results posted, and - if passed - our recommendation to Randy.

William

kokonutz Apr 4, 2006 2:17 pm

[QUOTE=wharvey]

I'd like to know from wharvey whether his vote against tabling was because he supported the forum or because he wanted an up or down vote on the forum.

Kokonutz... I am always glad to explain my decisions... :)

As Spiff announced earlier in this thread, I actually made the motion for the creation of this forum... and it was being voted on.

So, I definitely support this forum and believe it should be given a chance... I seem to remember JetBlue being given a forum BEFORE its frequent flyer program started. The Talkboard voted to wait until it announced its program... I was the only dissenter... and Randy created the forum against the wishes of the majority of the Talkboard. So, I am not a firm believer that a need for a forum needs to exist all the time. (I reserve the right to change that view depending on the forum request... :) )

Without talking about deliberations, I can also say I was against this tabling for one simple reason: We are an advisory board and as such, should be able to make recommendations that may or MAY NOT be what Randy wants. He can choose whether or not to accept our recommendations... and he has done both in the past.

Finally, if people did not want the forum... they could have simply voted against the motion to create the forum. Members have done that before... and then revoted for the same motion some time later.

Understand, as was posted in this thread, an Up-or-Down vote on this forum was taking place at the time this tabling motion was put on the table. To this day, I believe this vote should have been allowed to proceed, the results posted, and - if passed - our recommendation to Randy.

William

Thanks as always for the explanation, William, it is as enlightening as ever! I do hope that Randy chooses to override the TB's 'non-decision' decision on a recommendation since this IBB's core mission is talking about frequent flyer programs.

It would appear, FreeSpiritFan, that a direct appeal to Randy might yet bear some fruit if you are so inclined: [email protected]

magiciansampras Apr 4, 2006 4:27 pm

Hopefully Randy will overrule this one. Bad decision by TB :td: (IMHO of course).

FWAAA Apr 4, 2006 4:48 pm

:td: :td: to today's lobbying efforts. Spamming the AA forum (and other airline fora) isn't the proper way to drum up support, IMO.

FreeSpiritFan Apr 4, 2006 4:52 pm

OK, so I am learning the rules here....people don't like to know about $9 fares in "their" chatroom. I guess they only want to gripe and mope about the situation they got themselves stuck into w/ their dying legacy carrier (insert DL, US, UA, NW - maybe even AA here).

but

I also posted on the "Other North & South America Frequent Flyer Programs" board - and got blasted there, then had the post removed.

A. So much for telling people about an amazing sale anymore

B. What's the deal? Looks like talk about Spirit isn't welcome anywhere on FT. I see their ads on this site everyday...maybe they should be told they are advertising on a site that doesn't want them? Anyone have BBB's # handy?

Spiff Apr 4, 2006 4:57 pm

OK, so I am learning the rules here....people don't like to know about $9 fares in "their" chatroom. I guess they only want to gripe and mope about the situation they got themselves stuck into w/ their dying legacy carrier (insert DL, US, UA, NW - maybe even AA here).

but

I also posted on the "Other North & South America Frequent Flyer Programs" board - and got blasted there, then had the post removed.

A. So much for telling people about an amazing sale anymore

B. What's the deal? Looks like talk about Spirit isn't welcome anywhere on FT. I see their ads on this site everyday...maybe they should be told they are advertising on a site that doesn't want them? Anyone have BBB's # handy?

Try reading the rules first rather than discovering them as you break them. @:-) The FlyerTalk TOS is quite clear about multiple posts/cross posting.

Your post would have been welcome in the "Other North & South America Frequent Flyer Programs" had it been the only place you posted it. Mileage Run, if these fares earned miles, might have been another possibility.

ScottC Apr 4, 2006 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Hopefully Randy will overrule this one. Bad decision by TB :td: (IMHO of course).

Thanks for the input.

The decision to NOT create the forum just yet was made in coordination with Randy, so I don't expect any "overturning" of our decision.