FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   a Spirit Airlines forum, it's time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/539713-spirit-airlines-forum-its-time.html)

FreeSpiritFan Apr 6, 2006 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
It is pretty common bulletin board courtesy to not cross post. Just like there are many other "netiquette" rules like not using CAPS, not posting commerical spam etc...

I do agree though that a link should/could be added to the signup procedure, but the FT moderator team is in the process of creating a new TOS, and I'm sure this is one of the things that will be covered in that.

Or if there were just a Spirit Airlines forum, there would only be one place stuff needs to be posted about Spirit :p

ScottC Apr 6, 2006 11:14 am

Originally Posted by FreeSpiritFan
Or if there were just a Spirit Airlines forum, there would only be one place stuff needs to be posted about Spirit :p

Yes, that would be nice, wouldn't it? But there isn't. :p

Dovster Apr 6, 2006 11:28 am

FreeSpiritFan, let me give you some practical advice: right now, you are hurting your own cause.

TB has voted. Whether you agree with it or not, arguing the point will not change that vote in the immediate future. Indeed, it might well have the opposite effect.

It has also indicated that it will revisit this question in six months (or even less) after FT has more experience with the new Spirit program. People are people are people -- even if they are TalkBoard members. If you antagonize them, they are going to remember that when this question arises in the future. Perhaps they shouldn't but, again, they are only human.

Let it rest for a number of months and then raise the question again.

magiciansampras Apr 6, 2006 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
FreeSpiritFan, let me give you some practical advice: right now, you are hurting your own cause.

TB has voted. Whether you agree with it or not, arguing the point will not change that vote in the immediate future. Indeed, it might well have the opposite effect.

It has also indicated that it will revisit this question in six months (or even less) after FT has more experience with the new Spirit program. People are people are people -- even if they are TalkBoard members. If you antagonize them, they are going to remember that when this question arises in the future. Perhaps they shouldn't but, again, they are only human.

Let it rest for a number of months and then raise the question again.

I'm not on TB, but I respectfully disagree. I think showing disagreement with TB decisions is not only appropriate, but helpful. Kokonutz in an earlier post did a great job of illustrating a voting trend that TB is on (and I agree with his assesment). If there is going to be a forum for TB Topics, it should be home to threads that are critical of TB decisions as well as those that praise them.

Also, he's doing nothing to "hurt his cause." That's just silly. TB is going to vote based on merit, and if they vote a certain way out of spite because someone is asking a lot and being critical, then that is just plain silly as well.

Keep it up freespirit! ^

Dovster Apr 6, 2006 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I'm not on TB, but I respectfully disagree. I think showing disagreement with TB decisions is not only appropriate, but helpful.

I am not talking about theory but effective tactics. I think the proposed Men's Forum is a good example of this -- the tactics used by its supporters, IMHO, turned off a number of TB members -- even some who were inclined to support the forum.

The result is that the Forum has less of a chance of ever being established.

Spiff Apr 6, 2006 12:07 pm

Then am I not correct that the rules you agree to on signup should state that, or at least link to the other rules you are agreeing to? Maybe a separate Talkboard forum should be created to discuss this topic - but I was just a little concerned b/c it was NOT against the rules users actually state they have read.

As ScottC has noted, that is the scope of the moderators, not the TalkBoard.

Next month, the moderators will be updating the TOS.

kokonutz Apr 6, 2006 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I'm not on TB, but I respectfully disagree. I think showing disagreement with TB decisions is not only appropriate, but helpful. Kokonutz in an earlier post did a great job of illustrating a voting trend that TB is on (and I agree with his assesment). If there is going to be a forum for TB Topics, it should be home to threads that are critical of TB decisions as well as those that praise them.

Also, he's doing nothing to "hurt his cause." That's just silly. TB is going to vote based on merit, and if they vote a certain way out of spite because someone is asking a lot and being critical, then that is just plain silly as well.

Keep it up freespirit! ^

I WOULD agree with you, MS, except for the fact that Dov used to be on the TB so is probably has a better perspective on the inner-workings of their decision-making process. I have little doubt that some of the bomb-throwing and boisterous tactics engaged in by partisans of a mens travel forum (myself especially) not only cost us a vote or two on the TB vote, but also virtually destroyed any chance of this forum happening with anything close to current TB composition, merits to the side.

So while I agree that continued good-faith efforts for change are one thing, employing class and decorum will be more effective than hurling stones (honey v. vinegar). We can see above that throwing a ' :p ' at the TB will only get you a ' :p ' from TB members in return...

FWAAA Apr 6, 2006 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Next month, the moderators will be updating the TOS.

Next month? Again? A new TOS seems to be posted already:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

Or were these released prematurely? :)

magiciansampras Apr 6, 2006 6:38 pm

I am not talking about theory but effective tactics. I think the proposed Men's Forum is a good example of this -- the tactics used by its supporters, IMHO, turned off a number of TB members -- even some who were inclined to support the forum.

The result is that the Forum has less of a chance of ever being established.

I disagree. That forum was doomed from the start because of PC issues. But then again, that's just my opinion. :)

The bomb throwing didn't start until peopel started saying no for no good reason (demand was silly - there clearly was demand).

Spiff Apr 6, 2006 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Next month? Again? A new TOS seems to be posted already:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

Or were these released prematurely? :)

"Continuous improvement" is the moderators' motto. :)

Dovster Apr 6, 2006 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
"Continuous improvement" is the moderators' motto. :)

Okay, the debbil made me do this:

I'm sorry, Spiff, but it is forbidden to discuss moderation on TalkBoard Topics! :D

Spiff Apr 6, 2006 7:02 pm

Okay, the debbil made me do this:

I'm sorry, Spiff, but it is forbidden to discuss moderation on TalkBoard Topics! :D

Thank you for the reminder! :eek:

:D

HRDiva Apr 6, 2006 7:55 pm

Well, I guess we'll never get a forum. I don't like the Other North American forum because we get lost. So I just won't post. Oh well. I still am amazed that it was admitted that JetBlue got the forum before the program went into effect! It just proves the point--JetBlue is the darling, gets preferential treatment and can do no wrong.

magiciansampras Apr 6, 2006 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by HRDiva
Well, I guess we'll never get a forum. I don't like the Other North American forum because we get lost. So I just won't post. Oh well. I still am amazed that it was admitted that JetBlue got the forum before the program went into effect! It just proves the point--JetBlue is the darling, gets preferential treatment and can do no wrong.

You raise good points. Also note the "demand" argument that gets floated around here when voting against new forums. The JetBlue instance is good evidence of the contrary.

wharvey Apr 7, 2006 7:28 am

Originally Posted by HRDiva

If you choose to not post on the Spirit Airlines subject, then you may be right... if the Talkboard sees no "demand" or "activity" around the subject, they you probably will not see the forum get the necessary votes for passage.

Check out the JetBlue forum... I do believe you will find many posts the evidence that the airline does much wrong... at least in the customers' view.

Also, recognize that times change... as do criteria for forum creation. JetBlue Forum was created a few years ago... and Flyertalk was a much different board then... heck, even the software has changed and forum organization.