Search

My resignation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
My resignation

I have just posted my resignation to TalkBoard, effective Dec 1.

I want to emphasize that my reasons have nothing to do with FlyerTalk or any members of TalkBoard. They are completely personal. Indeed, I told Randy about a month ago that I might have to do this and he was very understanding.

My resignation is from TalkBoard only, not from FlyerTalk. At the same time, I will be resigning as a moderator from FlyerChat, and for the same reasons.

I very much request that nobody make any speculation connecting the two actions or coming up with any conspiracy theories theorizing any pressure on me to take these steps. There was absolutely none. They have nothing to do with FlyerTalk politics, my relations with Admin, my relations with other TB members, or anything along those lines.

While I am not happy that I believe I have to leave TB, I am cheered by three things:

1. In the year that I have served on TB, it has changed its views on how to judge proposed forums. It has proven that it is now willing to judge them based on their possibility/probability of becoming good additions to F/T instead of requiring that this be proven beforehand. This was my major goal when I sought to run for F/T.

2. With Doc standing in the wings, ready to replace me (although he won't know until he reads this thread that it is about to happen) we have one of F/T's most experienced members about to join TB.

3. The person now in line to fill a TB vacancy is Bhatnasx, who, IMHO, is an extremely qualified person and would make a truly excellent addition to TB.

In fact, the more that I think about it, the more fitting it seems to me that having had a three-way tie for the last TB seat that one (ScottC) wound up with a two-year term, one (Doc) gets a one-year term, and one (Bhatnasx) is the standby to fill any possible opening.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:03 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Best of luck, Dovster, and thank you for having been a great TalkBoard member.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

I knew it Dov, it must all because of me that you decided to resign. The brick I banged your head with in TLV must have such ill effect that you can no longer serve the TB.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Dov....best of luck! You'll be sorely missed on TB but I'm grateful that you'll continue to post on FT.
And thanks for the advice, support and guidance thus far in my very limited TalkBoard experience.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
We'll miss you my man..

best to you.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula

Dov....best of luck! You'll be sorely missed on TB but I'm grateful that you'll continue to post on FT.

And thanks for the advice, support and guidance thus far in my very limited TalkBoard experience.
Please let me echo those exact words. ^

I told you that taste of Vegemite 2 weeks back in TLV would change your life.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster

2. With Doc standing in the wings, ready to replace me (although he won't know until he reads this thread that it is about to happen) we have one of F/T's most experienced members about to join TB.
And my congratulations of course to doc who was the member with the next highest vote, and will automatically fill your vacant spot, as per Randy's post on Community. ^
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:31 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Best wishes, Dovster, on new directions and thanks for your service.

I assume since the first runner-up in the 2004 election where you were elected was FewMiles
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=26
that he'll be joining the TalkBoard to fill out this unexpired 2004 term?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd

I assume since the first runner-up in the 2004 election where you were elected was FewMiles that he'll be joining the TalkBoard to fill out this unexpired 2004 term?
Nope.

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen - November 9

by action of the TalkBoard, doc is now the first member in line to fill a vacant seat should any current member of the Board be unable to fulfill his elected term
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...44&postcount=1 -
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:49 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Ah, ok. I missed that.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:18 am

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by ozstamps
And my congratulations of course to doc who was the member with the next highest vote, and will automatically fill your vacant spot, as per Randy's post on Community. ^
Absolutely. While it will be a shame to see Dovster step down, Doc is a true FT ambassador and will be great in the role no doubt.

As one door closes, another opens. Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Firstly, my thanks to every one for your kind words.

Cblaisd, your assumption was a very logical one so a bit of an explanation is in order.

FewMiles, did, indeed, wind up as the highest runner up in the 2004 elections. Had any of us resigned during 2004 (not just those who were elected that year) he would have been the replacement according to an announcement by Randy.

This made the question of who would replace a member elected in 2004, but who resigned in 2005, very unclear. Would it be FewMiles or would it be the first runner up in the 2005 elections?

At that point -- and this was long before I had any reason to suspect that I would be resigning -- I raised the question to TalkBoard. I said that the very worst possibility would be to have this question still unclear at the time of a vacancy. It would make the matter a personal one. My own preference, I said, would be to follow the precedent set by Randy: The first runner up in the new election would be the replacement for anyone, no matter when he was elected. I was willing, however, to accept that the first runner up in a particular election would replace whoever was chosen in that same election.

The important thing to me was that the matter be decided before personalities become involved.

The various members of TalkBoard stated their opinions and it was heavily in favor of it being the first runner up in the latest election (in this case, Doc).

In August, we had a vote on the following resolution and it passed by a vote of 6-1:

In the case of a member who leaves TalkBoard, his replacement shall be the candidate who received the highest vote in the most recent election without having been elected. A second vacancy from TalkBoard would be filled by the next candidate in line, and this process will continue until there are no more candidates available. If it reaches that point, the Administrator will appoint a member.

Once the date for a new election has been announced, no vacancy on TalkBoard will be filled until after that election. At that point, the results of the new election will determine who will fill vacancies.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:50 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I also answered cblaisd's question, which he cross-posted, here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...96#post4907496
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:50 am
doc

To say that Dov will be missed is a tremendous understatement. Dov has served the FT commmunity so very well.

One can only hope to try to emulate him and to serve FT so energetically and so very selflessly.

Naturally, I join everyone in wishing him well.

Mark
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
First Sharon and now Dov.

Thanks for contributing your efforts to Flyertalk. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.