Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Omni" versus "OMNI"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2005, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
"Omni" versus "OMNI"

Would it be possible to change the capitalization of the name of the forum, so that it matches the case of the other three forum categories to its left ("Miles & Points," "Travel & Dining," and "Community")?

The forum name is not an acronym or abbreviation, and there seems to be no valid reason to capitalize this one forum to the exclusion of all others. Indeed, it would seem to give unwarranted emphasis to Omni, when we know that the real reason this board exists is for Miles & Points.

Respectfully submitted,

/s/ SPN
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Ok, I'll pass this request on to the TalkBoard.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
"Omni" is not an English word, but rather Latin.

The generally accepted style for writing foreign words or phrases is to distinguish them but putting them in "quotations", by italizing them, to by writing them in bold face.

I can see where an acceptable alternative would be to write them in CAPITALS.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I don't think writing them in capitals is an acceptable alternative, Dovster.

I'm in favor of maintaining the status quo, switching to title case, italic title case, changing the name to "Ominators" (prophets), or to "Omni-Genus" (of all sorts), or finally, I'd all find it acceptable to find a unanimously acceptable acroynm for which OMNI would stand.

I expect this topic and the candidates' positions on it, will be of keen interest to those FlyerTalk members who have not yet voted in the election.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dovster
"Omni" is not an English word, but rather Latin.

The generally accepted style for writing foreign words or phrases is to distinguish them but putting them in "quotations", by italizing [sic] them, to by writing them in bold face [sic].

I can see where an acceptable alternative would be to write them in CAPITALS.
In legal publications, italicizing or underlining is used, but not boldface, for foreign words or phrases. However, when a word becomes accepted English terminology, italicizing or underlining is no longer called for.

While "omni" has a Latin etymology, the Latin word for "all" is omnis or omnes. "Omni-" as a prefix has become a standard part of English, listed in most dictionaries, and is not set apart from the remainder of the word by underlining or italicizing. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=omni

In any event, this background is no justification for capitalization.

Perhaps the capitalization was placed for emphasis, like the exclamation points in MilesBuzz! and CommunityBuzz!. However, when listed at the top of the page adjacent to the list of the four main groups of fora, it creates inconsistency. Also, it makes for usage problems, as referenced in a pointer-thread on this topic in Omni, so the users would be aware this issue had been raised in TalkBoard.

See "Omni" versus "OMNI" (Omni forum)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485106
Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:22 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
What about a vote for "It ain't broke/don't fix ... ?" @:-)
Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by essxjay
here here!
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also, it's placement at the bottom of the list de-emphasizes its visibility, so this little stuff is all a wash. And if that's not enough de-emphasis, you can't even access it unless you've been around here a while.

TalkBoard should be addressing other things, IMHO.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by apudme
here here!
Where? Where?
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Would it be possible to change the capitalization of the name of the forum, so that it matches the case of the other three forum categories to its left ("Miles & Points," "Travel & Dining," and "Community")?...
We are pole-vaulting over mouse turds

M8
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:14 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by essxjay
How about NO vote at all?
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is something broken that this needs to be "fixed"?

If there's going to be a vote on this, can we have the Talkboard vote -- with a choice "for change", "against change" or "this change issue is a waste of time" -- rushed through before the election and get a published list of whom voted for which choice?

What's the next issue? Should GLBT Travelers have periods ( " . " ) in it (i.e., "GLBT Travelers vs G.L.B.T. Travelers)? I think things are just fine the way they are.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 22, 2005 at 11:07 am
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Would it be possible to change the capitalization of the name of the forum, so that it matches the case of the other three forum categories to its left ("Miles & Points," "Travel & Dining," and "Community")?

The forum name is not an acronym or abbreviation, and there seems to be no valid reason to capitalize this one forum to the exclusion of all others. Indeed, it would seem to give unwarranted emphasis to Omni, when we know that the real reason this board exists is for Miles & Points.

Respectfully submitted,

/s/ SPN
Because FlyerTalk is an Internet bulletin board whose main topic is the discussion of miles and points, I personally would have used a play on words and instead called the OMNI forum a name which has multiple meanings:

What’s Your Point?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:51 am

Programs: Peon in all
I agree. And "What's Your Point?" would match the other 3 forum categories also.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:46 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Just in from the did you know files:
The term OMNI as it is spelled and conceived was proposed and put forth by various members of the FlyerTalk in its earliest days. It was not included in the original version of FT nor was ever considered by myself. Changing the course of history that was originated by members themselves might be considered less than admirable. The point being - are you more right than they were? And while i am a bit fuzzy on the exact members involved, i seem to recall that PremEx might have suggested it? But i could be very wrong on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.