Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Student Forum? What do you think

Student Forum? What do you think

Old May 5, 05, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Question Student Forum? What do you think

I have noticed that alot of the members I come across are also college students.

I have not noticed alot of OT issues from the students in the forums they are in but thought I would ask what people thought about suggesting a forum for students-something on the terms like-Women Travelers. or a mix topic type of forum...????

Last edited by Shiloh; May 5, 05 at 6:08 pm
Old May 6, 05, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

If they are OT, then there's OMNI. Women Travelers relates to women traveler issues - Do a lot of students have issues when traveling that relates directly to them being a student? I never did when I was in college (that was only a few years ago) - I haven't seen enough of these kinds of threads that this would warrant a new forum.
Old May 6, 05, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
There are student-focused travel agencies, programs like Student Advantage which include some travel benefits, and student (or age) specific fares that some airlines offer... but there hasn't seemed to me enough discussion that didn't fit perfectly into the relevant airline's forum or in travelbuzz to warrant a separate forum.

The problem in creating a new forum without sufficient activity is that questions don't get answered nearly as well, infrequently post to forums don't get much traffic which compounds the problem that they're little used.

I have no objection to new forums, but they need to be on a topic likely to generate a critical mass of commentary.

I could be misreading the student issue?
Old May 6, 05, 9:30 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by gleff
There are student-focused travel agencies, programs like Student Advantage which include some travel benefits, and student (or age) specific fares that some airlines offer... but there hasn't seemed to me enough discussion that didn't fit perfectly into the relevant airline's forum or in travelbuzz to warrant a separate forum.

The problem in creating a new forum without sufficient activity is that questions don't get answered nearly as well, infrequently post to forums don't get much traffic which compounds the problem that they're little used.

I have no objection to new forums, but they need to be on a topic likely to generate a critical mass of commentary.

I could be misreading the student issue?
I would support this idea but there has to demand for it.
Old May 6, 05, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure the demand exists. TravelBuzz! is probably the best place to get answers, and most of the questions I could think of that would be of interest to students would probably be of interest to a wider audience (e.g. questions about backpacking).

TravelBuzz gets a lot of traffic, but a student forum wouldn't get nearly as much. When there are a lot of fora, people only end up going to a few. That's why TravelBuzz is filled with threads that could be put into one of the other fora - people expect to get better answers in TB because there's more traffic.

Last edited by Doppy; May 6, 05 at 9:55 am
Old May 6, 05, 10:16 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'd really like to see some demonstration of demand on this issue before creating a new forum.
Old May 8, 05, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The position expressed by several posters on this thread -- "First we have to have enough posts to prove that the forum will be popular" -- is, indeed, how TalkBoard views things.

Although I am a TalkBoard member, I do not agree with it.

I feel that if a proposed forum looks reasonable it should be given a chance. If, after a year, we see that it is not working out we can remove it.

The simple fact is that a forum can attract members. Perhaps there is not a great number of student posters today simply because there is no forum which caters to their needs. Let's face it -- most of us are more interested in upgrading to F/C seats than in finding inexpensive hostels.

Indeed, had Randy waited to see if there was a great number of Frequent Flyer posts somewhere, F/T would not exist today.
Old May 9, 05, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
Although I surfed the web constantly when I was in college, I didn't spend too much time on travel forums, on the other hand, I wish I had. There alot of information here that has helped me out that would have been very useful. I think it would be in order and fair to have a student forum, there are forums here for all walks of life. This is no less of a good idea. Jus my 2cents