Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TalkBoard Minutes Sept 2003 - Feb 2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2004, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
TalkBoard Minutes Sept 2003 - Feb 2004

A big thank you to Starwood Lurker for compiling these minutes!

09/08/03 – Randy sent an email to all TalkBoard (TB) members asking for input/discussion on several issues, including having moderators serve in two capacities – as moderator and TB member. Also, said to send what our thoughts were on voting for new officers.

09/09/03 – Gaucho100K proposed discussing the installation of new UBB software and suggested Randy could institute a fee-basis Flyertalk to pay for it. After brief discussion, no motion was made.

09/09/03 – Gaucho100K asked for elaboration on the differences between the TalkBoard forum and the TalkTeam forum. It was explained to him that the TalkTeam forum was for moderator use only.

09/09/03 – 09/13/03 – cigarman posted the Rules by which TalkBoard operates. Discussion ensued about election of new officers, which was tabled pending Randy’s input.

09/09/03 – Official discussion began on whether it should be allowed to have moderators serve on the TalkBoard. This discussion ran all the way to 09/23/03, which ran past the voting process noted below on 09/17/03. It was eventually decided that the status quo was to allow moderators to serve on the TB and since the vote was neutral, there was no necessity to do anything else to maintain the status quo.

09/13/03 – wharvey asked that all TB members check-in. 8 of 9 did so in three days.

09/16/03 – Gaucho100K made a motion that Flyertalk venture into becoming multi-lingual by creating a single new forum dedicated to non-English language postings related to miles and points. It was seconded by wharvey on 09/16/03. Official discussion ensued through 10/07/03.

09/16/03 – Gaucho100K made a proposal to create an OMNI News forum. Discussion ensued. Motion seconded by wharvey. Further discussion ensued, including input from Randy that he would need a lot more information to support it. An extended period of time was given to allow for more input, all the way to 10/07/03, but nothing more was forthcoming.

09/17/03 – Voting was opened on the moderator/TalkBoard issue. The question was posed as “Moderators are not prohibited from sitting on the TalkBoard; however, as with all TB members, they are expected to honor the confidentiality of TB deliberations and discussions pursuant to TB bylaws.” 4 members voted yes, 1 voted no, 3 abstained, and 1 did not vote at all. Since 6 yes votes were necessary to pass a 2/3rds vote, the issue was tabled for later discussion. See results of same under 09/09/03 above.

09/17/03 – wharvey posted a link to the Suggestion forum having to do with creating a handicapped traveler forum in Flyertalk Travel. The motion was seconded by Starwood Lurker. Some discussion was continued on this thread, but the Official Discussion did not begin until cigarman returned to live action on 09/23/03.

09/18/03 – missydarlin makes 7 motions that will affect how TB operates in the future, only two of which were considered: Motion 3 - I move that the 2/3 majority voting requirement be counted only of actual voting members yes and no votes. Abstain and non votes should not count for or against the 2/3rds and Motion 7 - Any vote getting a majority but not the 2/3 vote required for a win should be re-voted on after an additional 7 days discussion time. If it fails to win on the second vote it will be tabled.

0918/03 – Official discussion begins on the 2/3rds vote motions. Discussion ended on 09/28/03, which upheld the current practice to require 2/3rds of the total TB members voting yes to pass an issue.

09/19/03 – missydarlin asked for clarification of Official Discussion and discussing something before a motion was made. cigarman clarified the issue.

09/19/03 – missydarlin asked the TB to re-consider a majority voting “yes” instead of a 2/3rds vote to decide issues. Discussion ensued. No motion was made.

09/23/03 – gleff suggested that we do something more to keep the community informed on what we as the TalkBoard are doing. His motion was: In order to be more open, we should take steps to keep the TownHall updated at least once a week both with MOTIONS UNDER CONSIDERATION (things that have reached the "official discussion" stage, unless a motion contains a request to do otherwise) and the RESULTS OF VOTES. This motion was seconded by wharvey. Official Discussion was set up by cigarman on 09/23/03. The ensuing discussion ran to 10/10/03, during which Starwood Lurker added a motion to accept Spiff’s offer to volunteer to keep Town Hall updated. This motion was seconded by gleff.

09/23/03 – Official discussion began on adding a handicapped travelers forum. It ran until 10/21/03. A voting thread was set up for this issue on 10/23/03.

09/28/03 – gleff reminds us that Randy had asked each of us to tell him when we might be available for a TalkBoard Live Chat meeting. Spiff, missydarlin, and Starwood Lurker replied with their constraints. hfly said to name a time and he would do the best he could to make it considering he was so far outside our time zones. No further discussion past 09/30/03 on this issue.

10/03/03 – gleff asks if we, as TalkBoard members, should be held to a higher standard of posting than other members of the message board. Various opinions were voiced by Gaucho100K (we shouldn’t lose our identity), Spiff (no, we should not be held to a higher standard), and cigarman (I edit and re-think more now).

10/04/03 – Gaucho100K asks if it is normal for Randy to not be around the TalkBoard forum for an extended period. cigarman said, yes; it is normal and that Randy checks in whenever he has time to do so.

10/07/03 – Voting began on the language issue raised by Gaucho100K. It ran until 10/14/03 with cigarman, Starwood Lurker, gleff, hfly, Tolarian Wind, and missydarlin voting “No”. Gaucho100K, wharvey, and Spiff voted “Yes”. Motion failed.

10/14/03 - Starwood Lurker moved that we accept Spiff’s offer to keep FT Town Hall updated. gleff seconded the motion the same day. No official vote was taken, but Spiff was given the keys to FT Town Hall to update at will.

10/14/03 – Randy posts the instructions on how to keep Flyertalk Town Hall updated. Until this date, no one knew how. The last note from Spiff on 11/10/03 was to thank other TB members for their suggestions as far as content was concerned.

10/23/03 – Voting began on adding a handicapped travelers’ forum to Flyertalk Travel. Voting ran until 11/04/03. cigarman voted "No". Voting “Yes” were Starwood Lurker, gleff, hfly, Gaucho100K, wharvey, missydarlin, and Spiff. Tolarian Wind did not vote. Motion passed.

11/10/03 – Spiff reports that AirTran is soon to be expanding out of Atlanta and that there had been several requests to re-create a separate forum for them. He moves that the forum be created. cigarman seconded the motion on 11/13/03. Official discussion ensued until 11/28/03 when Randy asked that we go ahead and vote on the issue since plenty of support was to be found all over Flyertalk.

11/29/03 – Spiff says he was approached by one of the moderators to support their position for more powers in dealing with trolls. The position was voiced as, “"Frankly, moderators should have the power to impose temporary timeouts, pending a review by Randy. One suggestion would be to allow a moderator to timeout a poster just from that particular thread but not prevent them from posting elsewhere. This would be a less severe approach that might work as opposed to a general timeout. It would also be an excellent tool to stop flame wars. As FT has grown, the number of troubled people that it has attracted has increased also. We clearly have to have some teeth to stop this from occurring." Short discussion ensued with wharvey saying that the moderators should be granted whatever powers they need to do their job to gleff giving his intuitive input as a moderator. No further discussion was forthcoming and the matter was tabled.

12/01/03 – Voting began on the AirTran forum. It ran to 12/17/03 as several TB members were traveling extensively. All TB members who voted, voted “Yes”. The following TB members voted: cigarman, Starwood Lurker, gleff, hfly, wharvey, missydarlin, and Spiff. Tolarian Wind and Gaucho100K did not vote. Note: Randy created the AirTran forum before the vote was officially closed, probably because of its popular support on Flyertalk as a whole.

12/05/03 – Gaucho100K announces that he is resigning from the TalkBoard. He does not give a specific reason, but states that since he is hardly ever posting to Flyertalk any longer, he feels he cannot do service to the position.

12/08/03 – cigarman posts a thread that he thinks is “over-the-line” as far as Flyertalk is concerned. Discussion ensued. It was determined that a majority of the folks on the TB thought the post was likely inappropriate for the forum it was posted to, it finally found a home, assisted by the moderator, in OMNI where it belonged.

12/18/03 – gleff expressed his viewpoint that we do not act as quickly as we should be when discussing and voting on various issues – particularly the AirTran forum issue for which we are taking some criticism. Discussion ensued through 12/22/03. No motion was made or seconded.

12/18/03 - cigarman questions whether we as the TalkBoard should propose or have any say in member bannings when we discover someone has violated the TOS or any directives that Randy may have placed on a particular member. Discussion ensued. While it is apparent that some members present challenges to many Flyertalkers, there was no formal motion made. As such, the issue was tabled.

12/22/03 – wharvey proposed two motions in order to speed up and facilitate the voting process: “I would like to propose that there be a 120 hour limit/5 days on all votes that are called for by the Talkboard. I further propose that vote tallies be 2/3rd of the votes cast on a given vote. I believe both of these are important... tough to have the first without the second. If two people happen to NOT be available for a vote, then their non-participation should not be construed as a vote against. An abstention would also not count as a no vote.” Discussion ensued. Starwood Lurker, gleff, wharvey, missydarlin, Spiff, and cigarman were all eventually in favor of the limit to voting on a given issue being set to 7 days, provided notification was sent to everyone on the TB that an issue was being officially voted on. There was not a majority opinion to override considering the 2/3rds vote issue. Discussion ended on 12/31/03 with no motion seconded. They were therefore considered tabled.

01/07/04 – wharvey proposes that we discuss the formation of a Travel With Pets forum to be added to TravelBuzz. Discussion ensued through 02/17/04 with five out of seven TB members expressing the need to be convinced that this was really a necessity. No motion was ever made, so the issue was tabled.

02/01/04 – Despite having resigned from the TalkBoard on 12/05/03, Gaucho100K posts in the TB forum that his email and FT accounts have been hacked. He asks who he can contact to get his access to the TB forum deleted. wharvey says he will contact the admin/tech people at Flyertalk in everyone’s best interests.

02/12/04 – wharvey posts his resignation to TB on FT Community.

02/12/04 – gleff makes a motion that we publicly thank wharvey for his service to the TB. Spiff seconded it. Discussion ensued. Spiff made a different motion to thank all TB past members after discussion ran against us making it a TB function to thank wharvey specifically for his service. The overall feeling was that anyone who wished to thank wharvey on the thread he started at FT Community, should do so. There was no second of Spiff’s motion, so it was tabled.

02/12/04 – gleff says there is discussion in ORP about setting up a GLB OMNI separate from OMNI. Discussion ensued. No one (including gleff who later made a motion for it) is in favor of starting another OMNI section. Randy, who posted his comments on 02/13/04, was also not in favor. A motion was made by gleff that the forum be created so that the discussion could come to a head. There was no second; therefore, it was tabled on 02/16/04.

02/19/04 – gleff suggests that when we make the move to the new bulletin board format, we also consider adding some more smilies. No motion was made.

02/21/04 – gleff made a motion that when the new bulletin board format is in place that we re-create an Emirates forum. It was seconded by Starwood Lurker as long as it was understood that we would not be asking Randy to do so before the new format is in place.

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shame on those that said that the Talkboard doesn't do anything.

This is an awesome piece of work, many thanks!!

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you Spiff and Starwood Lurker.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Very cool. I'm not sure about others who have called for openness, but this definitely satisfies my curiosity about what is being done and how it is being done.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 9:57 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
thank you Spiff and Starwood Lurker.</font>
Yes, thank you.

And ScottC, that was not necessary. I believe that our expression of interest in what the TalkBoard does has contributed to this compilation being posted, so no reason to gloat for you.

Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by attorney28:
And ScottC, that was not necessary. I believe that our expression of interest in what the TalkBoard does has contributed to this compilation being posted, so no reason to gloat for you.</font>
Where exactly is he gloating?

FewMiles..

Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by attorney28:
Yes, thank you.

And ScottC, that was not necessary. I believe that our expression of interest in what the TalkBoard does has contributed to this compilation being posted, so no reason to gloat for you.

</font>
Did you ever say that the Talkboard didn't do anything? If not then it's obvious that my post wasn't directed at you. Why must you be so negative in all your posts?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Why must you be so negative in all your posts? </font>
Negative? You mean like this?:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Originally posted by ScottC:
The request for an idine board has been out there since September 2003
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum73/HTML/000601.html

People have been bumping it every week or so, yet there has been no response from the Talkboard, instead of waiting for the new software why not just motion it now and request it be implemented WHEN the new software is running (i.e. as part of the implementation) instead of waiting for the new board and THEN motioning it?

IMHO the Talkboard could/should be a little more proactive in these matters. In the thread in question there are many members who say they would like that board, as member representatives I think it is the TB's duty to have a listening ear for suggestions like this.

</font>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../000161-2.html
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:53 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Shame on those that said that the Talkboard doesn't do anything.</font>
Why must you be so negative in all your posts? </font>
Now that was funny .

Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

.... it's obvious that my post wasn't directed at you. </font>

Scott I could almost be forgiven in imagining your post was directed at ME.

And if so - why? For starting this 5 page long thread October 13 and making a statement to the effect that TB was about as secretive as Al Queda or the KKK up until that time???? :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000161.html

Are you saying "Shame on me" for ever raising it????? And others for agreeing????? Perhaps I misread it?

Nope, these minutes at last being available are a good thing. I agree with techgirl and several others here. Thanks greatly to Spiff and Lurker for working on it.

I hope members keep being updated. All members SHOULD have been updated on this September stuff over 6 months ago IMHO, but let's applaud this new posting as a positive start.

Reading officially that a popular TB member resigned early December is not good or open policy.

If you (or others) want to toss rocks at me for raising this Scott, and keeping the pressure on TB from time to time, I'll take all the rocks you can throw.

Like all areas of politics a stimulus is always needed to get action. And if anyone here thinks TB is not about politics ....

If I was part of that stimulus I am happy for the finger to be pointed.

I might add that the 'Town Hall' still says:

http://www.flyertalk.com/townhall/

Archived Minutes of TalkBoard Meetings

coming soon

And I do trust that this thread's initial post is posted there as well. Where it surely should be, and hopefully stays.

------------------
Try and make it down to SYD for "OZ FEST 2004" - May 21-23

~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from UA 747-400 exit row 15A near you SOON!
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:29 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
And if so - why? For starting this 5 page long thread October 13 and making a statement to the effect that TB was about as secretive as Al Queda or the KKK up until that time????</font>
Well, that statement is perhaps the most tasteless comparison I've seen on flyertalk absent OMNI.

Perhaps next you can simply invoke Hitler, and go for the trifecta.....

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Godwin's Law

Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet]

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many
groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned
the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress.
Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on
thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized
codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke
its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms...win_s_Law.html
Old Mar 19, 2004, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thank you Starwood Lurker and Spiff for your efforts. For me, however, the minutes honestly tend to raise more questions than answers.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Oh well,

Maybe the answers can be found at www.moremiles.org

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.