Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Suggestion: Make the TalkBoard forum public (read-only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Make the TalkBoard forum public (read-only)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wharvey:
While I have said nothing in those private conversations that I would have a problem with anyone seeing, the fact remains they were private.</font>
I tend to work under the assumption that anything I write will be read by others.

At work we call it the "Wall Street Journal test" -- assume that whatever you're saying or doing winds up on the front page of the Wall Street Journal.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:11 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
There are several false statements and misconceptions floating around.
1) The Yahoo board is closed. I did not renew it. It seemed inappropriote to discuss FT business where there would be no FT record. Punki set up that board on her own without permission of the talkboard.
2) Kokonutz, talks about government functions. IF we were a government, or had any legislative power I would be the first to argue that the forum should be transpartent. I spent the first few weeks arguing with Punki about the forum SHOULD be open. She was against it. For her to claim it should be open now... well that would just contradict her original position. Perhaps she changed her mind? Regards of that, we are only advisory. Thus, our advice can be private.

I used to favor it being open. However after all the complaints in this forum, it would be a nightmare to do so. There are some who would be real time posting complaints about our discussion.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cigarman:
Regards of that, we are only advisory. Thus, our advice can be private.
</font>
First of all, best regards to you, too.

Secondly, you are elected (well, at least some of you). Thus, it could be argued that you should keep us informed.

Then again...who cares .
Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[sorry, couldn't resist]

[This message has been edited by anonplz (edited Mar 02, 2004).]
Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
I tend to work under the assumption that anything I write will be read by others.

At work we call it the "Wall Street Journal test" -- assume that whatever you're saying or doing winds up on the front page of the Wall Street Journal.
</font>
That is my M.O. (and it's a good one, since they lurk here...)
Old Mar 4, 2004, 6:11 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
I also see absolutely no reason on earth that TalkBoard should not be a read only board. It really should be open to the public--</font>
Punki,

In going through the TB archives I found a post where you had this opinion, which is contradicts what you are saying now.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
If we need to argue, discuss heatedly, or even get mad, spit, scream, kick and yell, let's have the taste and class to do it in private and, after we have fought our battles in private, share our unified conclusion in public.</font>

Why should the current talkboard not have the ability to fight our battles in private?

Old Mar 6, 2004, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cigarman:

The Yahoo board is closed. It seemed inappropriote to discuss FT business where there would be no FT record. </font>
Hmmm, the Moderators did not seem to think it was "inappropriate" at all a few weeks back when they set up their own private board to discuss FT matters.

------------------
Try and make it down to SYD for "OZ FEST 2004" - May 21-23

~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from UA 747-400 exit row 15A near you SOON!
Old Mar 6, 2004, 5:34 am
Patron

ozstamps, I would not say that the Moderators set up their own private board to discuss FT matters a few weeks back….

Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Actually, Missy, I believe that my statement was referring not to the creation a "read only" Talk Board forum (at the time I did not know that such a thing was possible), but instead referred to the practice of Talk Board members making public posts about matters under consideration prior to achieving consensus.

At this point, however, I think that having a "read only" Talk Board forum is about the only thing that could bring efficacy to, or rejuvinate any general interest in, Talk Board. As it stands, I would be very surprised to learn that the vast majority of FlyerTalkers either know, or care, that Talk Board exists.

Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:44 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
one (and as I remember it, may be the major reason) to put up that Yahoo board in the very early days, was the voting feature that it did provide (and that didn't exist on FT board).

Punki (and I) were not aware (for which nobody else but us were to blame at that time), that some other FT-board-members had no previous experience with that Yahoo feature (board and voting) and so had difficulties to get initial access (and some didn't trust those that put op the yahoo board and did question privacy-questions regarding the initiators).

But this is really tempi passati, and I don't see really big need to go back to 'those (early) FT-board days' and go on argueing about any individuals then - as I remember it, it was just difficult for anyone then to agree on anything ....
Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering the amount of 2,4, 5 and even 9 page threads on Talkboard issues I'd say there is plenty of interest in it
Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum

At this point, however, I think that having a "read only" Talk Board forum is about the only thing that could bring efficacy to, or rejuvinate any general interest in, Talk Board. As it stands, I would be very surprised to learn that the vast majority of FlyerTalkers either know, or care, that Talk Board exists.

</font>
I agree! I am sure you are right - most FT'ers I meet have no idea what the TalkBoard is. I myself have not noticed the TB contributing anything positive to FT.

Perhaps I am just not looking enough.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Goldlust:
I agree! I am sure you are right - most FT'ers I meet have no idea what the TalkBoard is. I myself have not noticed the TB contributing anything positive to FT.

</font>
Goldlust, I find myself truly speechless. That doesn't happen often.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Goldlust:

</font>
Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
In the past month I have been in 9 different countries with literally dozens of different Flyer Talkers. We have talked about miles, points, upgades, future trips, flight loads, Freddie Junior, various travel trials and adventures, passport stamps, airport club lounges, celebrations, food, wine, skiing, and oodles of other things, inluding our favorite Flyer Talkers, but I don't recall any discussions about Talk Board.

I do, however, think wharvey's thread is very interesting--but am still not exactly sure how it relates to TalkBoard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.