Reload this Page >

Renaming the Buzz forums?

Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

Back in July I asked for opinions on renaming MilesBuzz in conjunction with splitting out some of the content into a Q&A forum we now call Information Desk.

The TalkBoard is now refining a proposal to rename forums for companies rather than programs. We would like members' input on the possibilities for renaming MilesBuzz. For consistency, this would almost certainly mean renaming the other Buzz forums.

Here are the two leading options as I see them:

1. Keep the current names:
MilesBuzz!, TravelBuzz!, DiningBuzz!, and CommunityBuzz!

2. Change the names to:
Miles and Points Hot Topics
Travel Hot Topics
Dining Hot Topics
Community News and Events

Please post your opinions here over the next few days. Don't be shy. If we do rename the forums, we want your very best ideas. Conversely if people are very attached to the current names and feel they are the best choice, we want to know that too!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
:dislike:

"Hot topics" seems overly sensationalized. Some topics are not "hot," but are nonetheless interesting precisely because they are amenable to being discussed with nuance and thoughtfulness rather than innuendo and sensationalism - which the word "hot" cries out for.

If you must fix something that isn't broken, imo, why not simply "topics" or some such?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I am 100% in favor of a change.

I'm not married to nsx's specific proposal, but I very strongly dislike the current "___Buzz!" names. I mean, seriously, an exclamation mark?! What is this, 1998?

FlyerTalk needs to get with the times. That kind of naming scheme was "in" back when the Internet was new and we were Randy's side project with a few hundred members, but it's 2013, and FlyerTalk is the leading source of frequent flyer program information in the world. We desperately need a more up-to-date, professional image, and "Buzz!" makes us look like we're some little rinky-dink site hosted in someone's basement.

So while I'm personally looking forward to discussion on the merits of nsx's specific wording and alternate suggestions, I vehemently disagree with anyone who suggests that the status quo "isn't broken."

Last edited by jackal; Oct 18, 2013 at 3:23 pm Reason: Just like FlyerTalk, I've been living in the past, apparently...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If there must be renaming, make the names suitable for an informational library and not a supermarket tabloid
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal

I'm not married to nsx's specific proposal, but I very strongly dislike the current "___Buzz!" names. I mean, seriously, an exclamation mark?! What is this, 1998?

FlyerTalk needs to get with the times. That kind of naming scheme was "in" back when the Internet was new and we were Randy's side project with a few hundred members, but it's 2012, and FlyerTalk is the leading source of frequent flyer program information in the world. We desperately need a more up-to-date, professional image, and "Buzz!" makes us look like we're some little rinky-dink site hosted in someone's basement.

So while I'm personally looking forward to discussion on the merits of nsx's specific wording and alternate suggestions, I vehemently disagree with anyone who suggests that the status quo "isn't broken."
I'm not married to Buzz (#1) nor am I married to Hot (#2). I do agree that if we change one Buzz we should probably change the others to be consistent.

I disagree that simply having Buzz in a name implies that Flyertalk is a rinky-dink site hosted in someone's basement

Also IYO the current wording is broken. That doesn't necessarily make it true.

So the real merit discussion is whether FTers think the current names are fine or if the proposed names (or alternate suggestions if anyone has some) will be better for FT. I look forward to reading FTers input on whether to keep Buzz or make a switch, & why re: either.

As I mentioned, I could go either way. cbslaid does make a valid point that Hot is just as trendy/dated as Buzz

BTW - it's 2013, not 2012

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I disagree that simply having Buzz in a name implies that Flyertalk is a rinky-dink site hosted in someone's basement
It's barely one step above having an @aol.com email address.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I have never thought that "buzz" dated the forums in some way, however I do understand how it could appear somewhat dated.

Perhaps something like "latest news", which I think is a bit less sensationalist, but also communicates that it is current.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by jackal

I wouldn't be against removing the ! marks, but I like the Buzz names.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I happen to like the Buzz names for these forums and don't see any need for a change. We should definitely keep the names MilesBuzz!, TravelBuzz!, DiningBuzz!, and CommunityBuzz! ^
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:06 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Totally agree!

Originally Posted by cblaisd
If there must be renaming, make the names suitable for an informational library and not a supermarket tabloid
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Nice re: the dig Lucky for me my clients don't care what my email address is, just that I get the work done @:-)

As mentioned I could go either way on the names, so I look forward to FTers input on whether the Buzzes should stay the same or change, & if they change to what.

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I happen to like the Buzz names for these forums and don't see any need for a change.
Agree. Any forum name change will bring about some confusion and so IMHO the pros of renaming don't outweigh the cons by enough of a margin to necessitate it.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:44 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Great discussion, everyone. Anybody else want to chime in?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Miles needs to be changed to miles and points to more accurately reflect the content.

I agree with cblaisd that the word hot is a misnomer for the content.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:06 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

The current "buzz" names have worked fine for 15 years and are very established. They are unique so search engines identify them with Flyertalk.

I see no reason to change the forum names but perhaps fine tuning the descriptions listed next to them would be a better way to go?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.