Wiki Posts
Search

Talk Board Priorities

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2001, 7:40 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Talk Board Priorities

I POSTED THIS HERE BECAUSE I THINK ITS AN IMPORTANT *SEPARATE* FORUM SO WE ALL CAN GIVE OUR VIEWS.

In order:

* STOPPING THE FLAME WARS FASTER That means working with the moderators on a more definitive strike policy so posts don't erupt into World War III. This is what almost Killed Flyertalk earlier this year and could happen again.

*A definitive moderation policy. Maybe a code of ethnics to warn us what could face moderations.

*Create a forum of "most frequently asked questions" so new people have a resourse.

*Trying to work with people to be Nicer when others ask repeated questions.

BIG LOW PRIORITY: THE SMILIES THING!

Here is DOC's thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/002884.html

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 10-12-2001).]
Old Oct 12, 2001, 7:48 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
This was my reply to Doc on the link Catman provided - I appreciate it if we could keep these discussions here for the time being at least.

Doc Wrote:

Priorities for the new TalkBoard to Consider
Well, what are they? Anyone?

1) Moderators - what is/are their role(s)?

2) Buzz - what goes there - and what doesn't?

3) Search - improvements in capabilities and/or ease of use?

FWIW, these are my top three priorites for FT, in no real order of priority!

So what is/are your most pressing concern(s)?
My reply:

Doc,

I agree (with Catman) that the Talk Board forum will be the most efficient place for us to communicate for the time being at least.

I will point out that we (the TalkBoard) have not yet organized in terms of how we even intend to collect information. If we are going to do a good job analyzing member input, I sure hope we aren't going to have to do that by manually scraping information from individual posts. I'm hoping for some kind of input form that we can keep in some kind of database or flatfile for analysis purposes.

I certainly agree that your three personal priorities all bear examination and clarification. But first we need input from all of you - for I believe our role is to represent you and we can't do that effectively by simply 'believing' that our opinion is your opinion.

I ask for your patience while we figure out how we(the TalkBoard) are going to talk to each other and how we're going to structure things that will make us effective.

I'm going to copy this over to the TalkBoard Forum and hopefully we can keep things going there...

Pam
Old Oct 12, 2001, 8:28 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds good to me. I'd mistakenly thought that this area "TalkBoard: Election 2001"
might be effectively archived following the announcement of the results.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 8:48 am

I sure hope not - we don't have anyplace else to gather comments right now
Old Oct 12, 2001, 9:00 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please recall that we do have the "SUGGESTIONS" forum.

Alternatively, the title of this very forum could easily be changed to something like "Talk Board Priorities" of "Talk to the Board!"
Old Oct 12, 2001, 10:00 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Catman,

A "code of ethnics"??? Can you explain? Sounds interesting!

Dorian
Old Oct 12, 2001, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I think the first priority is to ban smiles.

I can say anything and it is OK if I use a smile .

I would like to use Osama bin Laden's severed head as a soccer ball .

See??

Seeing all these smiles makes me nauseous

And using them makes me look like an idiot!

Am I serious? How can you tell?
Old Oct 13, 2001, 12:04 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Dorian, give me a few to think what a "code of ethics" is...

But it is despirately needed.

Among what should be in it:

*An IMMEDIATE suspension for personal attacks on any member of the Flyertalk community. Like 30 days.

*The committee having the power to, with consoltation with Randy and Inside Flyer, banning those people who cause repeated problems.

What I mean a ban is A PERMANENT TOTAL COMPLETE BANNING. THAT MEANS THOSE WHO CAUSE REPEATED TROUBLE DO NOT COME BACK.

The decision to ban would be based on imput/complaints from other FLyertalkers as well a majority vote of the Talk Board.

Sorry, but my concern is those who may get banned may try to come back.

More thoughts later Dorian. Enjoy digesting these.

Just some quick thoughts. I'll have more later.

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old Oct 13, 2001, 12:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I just read now Catman's explanation of 'ethnics' and I am relieved that he is probably speaking of 'ethics' (I, first, was worried that an 'ethnic' discussion might be started here too).

My personal goal (as appointed by Randy to represent partially an opinion from/for 'outside North America') and not voted for by my fellow FlyerTalkers, see other priorities for me here than to discuss smilies or to start banning 'non-conform' posters.

My priorities here are to have this (= 'our') FlyerTalk-Board open to the whole 'flying world' and asking/helping my North American friends to be please very tolerant to all 'others'. This might be better achieved if FlyerTalkers will continue freely to post their personal opinion (often contrary, and also contrary to a probably large majority of active FlyerTalkers) but 'restrain' from getting (too) personal when responding to 'others'.

I am fully aware, that probably over 90% of the posters (and may be 99% of the lurkers) on FlyerTalk are based in North America.

As a member of Talk Board I will try to represent and 'weigh in' the opinions/interests of 'Non-North Americans'. I will not discuss my Talk Board activities / discussions etc. in 'FlyerTalk' public.

As an active FlyerTalk contributor I will continue to 'just' represent myself.

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 10-13-2001).]
Old Oct 14, 2001, 7:40 am

Dorian, give me a few (?) to think what a "code of ethnics" is...

But it is despirately needed.

What is despirately needed is a spell/grammer checker above all else IMO.

----------------------------------

[This message has been edited by geordie6 (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old Oct 14, 2001, 9:11 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I certainly hope all members of the Board will represent ALL members of Flyertalk.... and not just "North American" or "Non North American" members.

Catman, I really appreciate those thoughts you have about what the Board should focus on as it does it work. I also believe the "flame wars" need to stop immediately. This is the area I am most concerned about. Of course, a couple of TalkBoard members have factored pretty prominently in these wars over the past months. I certainly hope they are held to a much higher standard than has been previously exhibited.

I know we all can react quickly to what we see written here, but members of TalkBoard (same for the Moderators) have to model what they expect on this board.

I certainly hope they tackle the more important issues before dealing with the smiley issue (still not sure why this is so important to everyone!).

William
Old Oct 14, 2001, 9:57 am

Wharvey - lighten up! Of course none of us believe that the smilies are a mission-critical issue - but it's a light-hearted way to get started. And some of us really don't like the new version. On a spectrum of issues, maybe not the most important. But surely we can work it in ?
Old Oct 14, 2001, 11:40 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
HHHHmmmm....

Noticed I got chastised by a Talkboard Member while others did not... did I say something wrong? (insert frown here - don't want to overdo the "smiley" icons)

William
Old Oct 14, 2001, 12:45 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Chastised?
Old Oct 14, 2001, 3:02 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

I think if we are going to make some positive changes in the board we have to tackle the tougher issues... there are minor stuff that can be settled leter.

Case in post: the Goldlust thread. It has gone on WAY, WAY, WAY too long IMHO

It exploded. It needed to be settled sooner.

Rudi makes some good points, as usual, about keeping the board open to opinion. That also should be in the code of ethics with a reminder that personal attacks and direct attacks should NOT be tolerated.

Also:

*We are not from California, or New jersey Or Europe or Switzerland or Australia. We are all from the nation of Frequent flyers. Hense IMHO we are all on one playing field.

*There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. That means if someone asks an unsual question (like me asking about the 20K AAdvantage promotion around the time of the tragedies, don't just go out and call someone a hypocrite. Again, avoid the attacks.

*We are all seeking the same basic goals: sharing tips, travel experiences and making the path we travel smoothier.

*In that case basically there is no one better than anyone. That includes the Talk Board members, the Moderators. We are all flyers who just want the travels going easier.

*People will be forgiven for not knowing how to express a statement (or knowing how to spell.)

Just some suggestions. Again if we all have an idea of what works and what doesn't we can work to make a better Flyertalk board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.