Discussion in TalkBoard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2001, 3:12 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Discussion in TalkBoard

Any reason why this board is not readable by all. In the true democratic spirit, after voting I would like to see what the views of my representatives are
Old Oct 24, 2001, 4:24 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I don't think you really want this.

Dorian
Old Oct 24, 2001, 9:06 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Gee, PG has posted my very thoughts here - over my... whatever!

And yet I so respect Dorian's opinions as well. So this leaves us, where exactly?
Old Oct 25, 2001, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
Well, I would not mind "TalkBoard" being made accessible "read-only" to all members of FT. As I am quite sure all of you must know by know, I am not afraid of saying my opinion (though some people's reactions make me somewhat sad).

My only concern is that the TalkBoard may (will probably) deal with personal questions that should not - for the protection of the indivual - become public knowledge.

There is also the concern that doing the right thing for FlyerTalk may not be doing the right thing for you FlyerTalk friends - I think that has already been mentioned in our TB discussions, actually.
Old Oct 25, 2001, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although I am behind the TB the fact that there is a closed place on the board that discusses personal questions is somewhat disturbing...
Old Oct 25, 2001, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
Well, I think our discussion has resulted in that we pretty much all agree that Randy and the moderators should deal with most "personal" things. I just know that there has already been some things mentioned (just when discussing recent events) and I am not sure if we can avoid ANY such discussion.

Don't worry, we have yet to have a topic on "How do we ban ScottC forever?"
Old Oct 25, 2001, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Goldlust:

Don't worry, we have yet to have a topic on "How do we ban ScottC forever?" </font>

Old Oct 25, 2001, 2:00 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I believe that TB operates and will operate better if it has a closed place to discuss things openly (and very, very blatantly).

I will say though that we have been discussing what/how/if to make the recommendations provided to Randy public.

Dorian
Old Oct 25, 2001, 2:11 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I'm willing to concede that some of the discussion may be personal in nature and may well be done in private. But if it is not personal, shouldn't it be freely disseminated? And the same goes for the recommendations.
Old Oct 25, 2001, 4:46 pm
doc

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dorian:

...I will say though that we have been discussing what/how/if to make the recommendations provided to Randy public...

Dorian
</font>
---

I do hope at the very least that the final recommendations will be made public!
Old Oct 25, 2001, 5:34 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Hard to believe that the talkboard members would condone a private forum.

Hmmmm, it wasn't that long ago that they were saying about others....

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cigarman:
have become a founder of another exclusive board that Flyertalkers aren't welcome without an invitation. So he's not likely going to see this thread, out amoung the unwashed here on FT. </font>
Old Oct 25, 2001, 6:04 pm
doc

I sincerely do hope that we can keep this discussion friendly, if not productive!

I would be VERY surprised if matters of concern to the FT membership were not eventually made public. Little doubt, at the very least, any of those recommendations which Randy has reviewed and accepts will evidence themseves.

The "organizational" issues for a first and totally new TB, such as how to collate data, arrive at specific recommendations, voting mehanisms/logistics, etc., even simply how to officially submit recommendations to Randy & Co and how to best communicate with the FT membership as a whole are "massive" to say the least.

Admittedly I'm not the most patient guy in the world by nature, yet it is my assumption that they are quite "busy" at work - but also let's remember that members across many time zones and work schedules need to express themselves adequately on each item of interest - and come to some agreement also!

So let's please try our best to give 'em a bit of "slack." Thanks!

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 10-25-2001).]
Old Oct 25, 2001, 6:54 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
NJDAVID, FOR THE RECORD... I have been vocal to the point of making many other members of the talkboard uneasy; about ALL business being open to ALL members of FT. I feel if the US congress can discuss business and vote in public... we should too. However, I have only one of ten votes. The difference NJDavid, is I never proposed the forum be closed to anyone...unlike you and moremiles. And if you would like FULL disclosure. I defended your right to be a complete jerk with those bin launden comments... because I do not believe in moderators or censorship for the most part. However, my turn the other cheek mood is wearing off with your unsolicited cheap shots. You clearly know that "they" being the talkboard did NOT post the quote of mine you posted. Yet you use the word "they"... Clearly, this is an attempt to make me out to be a hypocrite. If you must try and paint me as a hypocrite you could avoid implying that the whole board is.
Old Oct 25, 2001, 7:30 pm

NJDavid,

Has everyone on FT done something to offend you? I'm not fully understanding a lot of your posts lately.... ?

Regards,

Dorian
Old Oct 25, 2001, 7:51 pm

Doc, thanks for the understanding and giving us some slack.

We are all communicating with eachother and Randy. We are moving forward...and yes it is not real simple...which I'm sure anyone here can understand.

Dorian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.