Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

So many wonderful candidates- so how do we select just 6?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2001, 3:21 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Congrat's to our three newly appointed Talk Board representatives, Dorian, Punki and svpii!

Well, what are the most critical qualities that we might all want to see among the new Talk Board members? They will literally shape our future, so please consider very carefully and then vote diligently!

I'm personally looking for those very well balanced individuals, showing the most wisdom, dedication, independence, open mindedness, and so on...

Yet they should ideally, most of all, be devoted to helping to make FT what we ALL collectively want it to be, just as Randy wants and has always tried to do.

Great selections so far by Flyertalk, and a great group from which we may select the remaining six.

So what is the most important quality we should look for, if any?

Old Sep 10, 2001, 4:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
So what is the most important quality we should look for, if any?
</font>
I'll vote for the candidate who works to get rid of the new, disgusting looking smileys.
Old Sep 10, 2001, 4:27 pm

I see many good choices here.

As FlyerTalk is a community, my vote goes to the person or persons who understand and promote the sense of community which has made FT so successful. Specifically, he/she who puts forth his/her best effort at making everyone feel welcome and most of all, respected, despite differences of opinion, "newbie-ness" or anything else.

I would also like to mention that I wholeheartedly accept campaign freebies like UG certs and SWUs.

Old Sep 10, 2001, 6:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I'll gladly sell my vote to any candidate who wants to deposit a suitable number of frequent flyer miles into any one of my accounts (AA, UA, US, DL, CO, NW, AS).
Old Sep 10, 2001, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
MileKing. DONE!

I'd just like to state publically that I'm honored AND flattered to be one of the names listed. I'm in such good company.

Dan
Old Sep 10, 2001, 10:26 pm

I will be voting for the one that bribes me
Old Sep 11, 2001, 4:52 am

Doc, excellent question and thread ... jetsetter777 offers sage advice. I plan on using those guidelines in reviewing previous posts of the candidates who make my short list.

edited upon further reflection and the good advice of Dan and Blair --- bygones

[This message has been edited by anim8r (edited 09-11-2001).]
Old Sep 11, 2001, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
anim,

In the interest of fairness to ALL parties, I believe that it's NOT a good idea for people to start campaigning.
I suggest that everyone read the bio's and make your decision based on that.

Regards,
Dan edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by dhammer53 (edited 09-11-2001).]
Old Sep 11, 2001, 5:44 am

Dan,
I'm not a candidate nor have I endorsed one. All candidates are worthy, some more than others. Your wisdom and humor are reflected in your posts, I like your odds for success. I don't consider that campaigning, just expressing an opinion.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
DOC,

I'm looking for all the qualities you named.

I also think JETSETTER777 summarized very well the overall quality needed by Talk Board members: respect for FT and their fellow FTers. I love the differences of opinions here on FT, but sometimes these opinions are expressed without any respect whatsoever ... and I'm not talking about respect for "PC" issues, here - I'm referring to some people's inability to acknowledge (thus respect) another person's opinion that differs from their own.

And I really do hope people are not going to start campaigning in their posts - reminds me of high school.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 7:42 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
As important as this is... it is sad that we are still voting on this during this time. I believe a candidate should be able to help flyertalk and help foster the environment that we all want on here, but the real concern of the day is on Air Travel itself.

I pray for safe travel for all during this tryign times.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 7:46 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Elections are being suspended I believe.

Randy was trapped somewhere and he will attend to it ASAP.

Dorian
Old Sep 12, 2001, 10:42 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
I believe the selection process should include a crietrion that anyone who has ever engaged in personal attacks on this board be immediatly disqualified, as he or she would clearly NOT be an appropriate representative of the entire community.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 09-12-2001).]
Old Sep 13, 2001, 10:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I voted based upon my experience with these people here and my observation of their behavior.

I didn't have a hard time picking six. I prbably could have picked 10 or so, but I think there are a few we know will go in with a large percentage.

GOod luck to everyone, though.

And Dan, you didn't need to bribe me. But if you want to reward me with miles. well....
Old Sep 14, 2001, 1:58 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
A couple of thoughts for some who have commented on this thread. Doc, you are amazing. You are faster with the news than Aviation Daily. With over 22,000 posts, you ought to get a special seat on the board. NJDavid, you appear to be in the broadcast business (as am I). You have taken a lot of heat for your candor on the CO upgrade changes, but many of your observations are correct. Success has changed that company. I have flown them since the days of Bob Six, when the furthest east they went was ORD, and you needed an invitation to get in the Presidents Club. BoSoxFan, I spent 7 years in the Twin Cities (a number as manager of KDWB Radio), and my hat's off to anybody who can leave their car at MSP for a week in the winter, and sit on a cold front seat when you first get back (truly a character builder)...but that Boston baseball stuff has to go! And finally dhammer...good luck (but not too much)in the voting. HPN is one of my "home" airports, and you appear to fly United, which I assume wil give you a lot of time to contribute to FT, as I don't think I have ever been in that airport when UA didn't cancel at least one flight. Seriously, this is a terrific board. Unlike the ones which feature posts largely from employee types, no one need fear participating in this one, as it is friendly and welcoming. Although most of us have never met each other, it is hard to participate and not get the feeling we've all known each other a long time. Good luck to everybody, as we fly off into the post September 11 world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.