Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Creation of a Lodging Services Forum (Including AirBnB)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread documents the creation of the new Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO forum from the announcement the vote is open, through the vote and announcement by the Community Director of the new forum's opening. Post-opening discussion is included as well.

The initial forum suggestion thread can be read at Lodging Services forum (such as Airbnb, VRBO, Homeaway, etc)

Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO (link)
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Creation of a Lodging Services Forum (Including AirBnB)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a “Lodging Services forum (such as Airbnb, VRBO, Homeaway, etc)”, which will reside in the Hotel and Loyalty programs sub-forum under Miles & Points.

Moved by SkiAdcock, seconded by CMK10

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread, or in the other discussion thread.

Voting will commence by TB members two days after the sightwide announcement by the senior moderators which will be November 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Last edited by CMK10; Nov 25, 2016 at 10:17 am
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As a few TB members have indicated in the general discussion forum there are some unanswered questions to this proposed forum so would prefer to see this motion in its current form defeated.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
As a few TB members have indicated in the general discussion forum there are some unanswered questions to this proposed forum so would prefer to see this motion in its current form defeated.
Your concerns are duly noted. It hardly matters though, we disappear into oblivion in three weeks and if Carol doesn't like what we come up with she can fix it.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I think the title as proposed is awkward and unwieldy. I'm also a bit disappointed at the rush to push out our one and only shot at this motion before I feel that some concerns and details were adequately analyzed and answered. We had a few more days, so I don't understand the rush.

However, despite these issues, I am likely to vote "yes" for this motion as it stands (as I do support the basic idea) and trust that the Community Director will make the necessary fixes in its implementation.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Forum title is similar to Ride Services forum: Ride Services (including Uber & Lyft), so Lodging Services (including Airbnb, VBRO, Homeway) isn't that much different/is similar in terms of nomenclature.

Recommended it go in the hotel & loyalty sub-forum/miles & points vs. travel & dining now that Delta & Qantas have partnerships w/ Airbnb, and it wouldn't be surprising if others also announce.

People aren't booking Airbnb & VRBO via Orbitz, etc, so the splitting of the other forums didn't make sense to me & putting Lodging Services there.

For those who will be coming to this thread after the public announcement is made, they can post their input here. Also, this initial discussion thread provides feedback on the forum suggestion.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...eaway-etc.html

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it should have zero hotel discussion

unless the hotel has some kind of residential units that can be rented by the owner on sites like AirBnb (and AibBnb did not invent this rental concept/market contrary to their marketing)

such a forum would be especially great for reviews and the internet is definitely lacking in reviews of rentals etc

especially reviews comparing to local hotels, or when rental is of a unit AT a hotel

for example re rentals at hotels, in NYC hotel residences that can be included in hotel inventory do not have minimum leases

some of us would say vote is worth having, regardless out outcome, as can always repeat (or modify?) in future
Old Nov 9, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
some of us would say vote is worth having, regardless out outcome, as can always repeat (or modify?) in future
Seems you may have missed the note:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ov-2016-a.html

The last day we can move and second anything would be November 15th, I believe, in order for the voting period to fully fall within our term. There is no way that this motion can be posted, voted on, fail, and for us to come up with a new motion, announce it, and vote on it before the end of our term. We missed our once chance to get this "right."
Old Nov 9, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed i did, thanks

perhaps vote one way or another could be done by then
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I support this. I use VRBO a lot to rent and may soon be using it to let and would love to have a place where people gather to talk about their experiences.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:40 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I also support this. I have used Airbnb a few times before and enjoyed it.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:48 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I support this
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I think it is a great idea. Fine with the title.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Skyteam
These types of lodgings are getting more popular. I'd appreciate a dedicated forum for it. Yes!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by jackal
I think the title as proposed is awkward and unwieldy. I'm also a bit disappointed at the rush to push out our one and only shot at this motion before I feel that some concerns and details were adequately analyzed and answered. We had a few more days, so I don't understand the rush.

However, despite these issues, I am likely to vote "yes" for this motion as it stands (as I do support the basic idea) and trust that the Community Director will make the necessary fixes in its implementation.
No doubt the CD can and will make the necessary fixes, but, once again, I hate the rush to get something done halfway.

Having said that, I'm supportive enough to be a "yes".
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
For those saying they have concerns or don't understand a rush to get this done or thought it was halfway, you could have been very specific re: your concerns - and outlined your solutions to your concerns or fleshed out what would take it all the way vs. halfway. I didn't see that reading the two threads.

I'm fine w/ the motion & unless FTers really come up w/ big objections (detailed & what they'd rather see addressed), I'll vote yes.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.