No TB Elections: TalkBoard Disbands 30 Nov 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TalkBoard Will Disband 30 November 2016

"Talkboard will be disbanded at the end of November. Many people have faithfully served as Talkboard members. Many good decisions have come from it, and FlyerTalk has been strengthened as a result. However, FlyerTalk is now a mature board with little activity where Talkboard can engage. It's been increasingly difficult to get members to vote in the Talkboard election. I think that readers are happy to engage in conversations about miles and points but have little interest in the mechanics of the board. I deeply appreciate all that Talkboard has done over the years. We are a better site thanks to their efforts.

Carol
Community Director"
(See post #4)

In our opinion, the members who have so ably served TalkBoard and the Community over the years deserve our thanks for sharing their interest, time, efforts and varied points of view towad building an ever better FlyerTalk.

Please direct your comments, feedback and discussion regarding this new stage in FlyerTalk's growth and direction in a friendly, respectful FlyerTalk manner here.

JDiver and Moderator2, proud to have been your TalkBoard forum Moderator team
Print Wikipost

No TB Elections: TalkBoard Disbands 30 Nov 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Bickering on FT has been going on since FT's earliest days. And it's never been limited to TB or OMNI or any other single section of FT. The richest bickering I've ever seen online has been in the Miles & Points section. But then again there too is a move to "drain the swamp" and target the perceived "signal to noise" ratio on FT.
Do you have inside information on swamp draining and signal enhancement or noise reduction measures?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have inside information on swamp draining and signal enhancement or noise reduction measures?
The wikization and some other things going on on FT that have been publicly available for observation by those paying attention make it unnecessary to have inside information about some developments on FT.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The wikization and some other things going on on FT that have been publicly available for observation by those paying attention make it unnecessary to have inside information about some developments on FT.
So you see FT as evolving to a specialized travel Wikipedia (travipedia?) with no discussion and no credit for contributions? If so, I'm not particularly interested, just as I'm not interested in seeing hotel master threads become like TripAdvisor.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So you see FT as evolving to a specialized travel Wikipedia (travipedia?) with no discussion and no credit for contributions? If so, I'm not particularly interested, just as I'm not interested in seeing hotel master threads become like TripAdvisor.
I don't believe that's what GU said. You asked if he had 'inside information' and he replied that he didn't. I think his point was that information provided in wikis of various threads can potentially reduce the snarkiness or noise to signal ratio when FTers ask the same (basic) questions over & over.

It can be easier to create a wiki on certain items or to provide some basic information or a heads up on something in an airline/hotel forum to try & reduce some basic stuff being asked over & over & then some FTers being snarky. He said nothing about FT being a wiki/no contribution/discussion BB. At least that's my take on his post.

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:14 am
Suspended

So you see FT as evolving to a specialized travel Wikipedia (travipedia?) with no discussion and no credit for contributions?
I don't see that happening, as killing off FT isn't in the interests of IB.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I'm sorry to see the board ending. I still have my luggage tags and use them! I have enjoyed reading, even when I did not actively post. And it was a great alternative to A.net

Dave
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:08 am
Suspended

Did TB vote to disband?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Davescj
I'm sorry to see the board ending. I still have my luggage tags and use them! I have enjoyed reading, even when I did not actively post. And it was a great alternative to A.net

Dave
FlyerTalk is NOT ending.

The TalkBoard, which is a user-elected group of representatives to (among other things) make recommendations concerning various FT management concerns, is being disbanded.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
No. As has been stated in this thread, other member-friendly processes for communicating with management are under consideration and are very likely to be put into place.

. . ..
Most organizations would have such processes in place before the dismantlement of the current process.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:49 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by controller1
Most organizations would have such processes in place before the dismantlement of the current process.
The TB will be disbanded on November 30th, I trust there will be a process in place on that date if not before, but since there is a still a TB until that date, there doesn't need to be a process before that date.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Did TB vote to disband?
No. The decision was made by Carol on her own accord, we did not suggest it and at least one of us (me) does not welcome the decision.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:04 pm

FWIW - I agree w/ the decision/Carol's statement, which is in the wiki.

Cheers
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CMK10
No. The decision was made by Carol on her own accord, we did not suggest it and at least one of us (me) does not welcome the decision.
The lack of any replacement mechanism in place shows a lack of commitment to transparency and commitment to authoritarianism.

One reason people may have stopped voting is because elections were never well-publicized, and the quality of FT has gone in the toilet as the number of random people come on to post one time asking for help "travel hacking" or seeking travel agent services.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222
The lack of any replacement mechanism in place shows a lack of commitment to transparency and commitment to authoritarianism.
This.

The customer-facing person is friendlier these days, but in reality it's not much different than it was back when I joined.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222

One reason people may have stopped voting is because elections were never well-publicized, and the quality of FT has gone in the toilet as the number of random people come on to post one time asking for help "travel hacking" or seeking travel agent services.
The above is a joke, right?

The CD did a LOT to publicize TB elections - sitewide announcements for call for candidates/elections underway/don't forget to vote/countdown to vote, Talkmail newsletter, I Voted icons, questions for TB candidates to answer so FTers could get a handle on where candidates stood,and more.

And since the beginning of FT in 1999, there have been random people coming on one time asking for help. That's never going to change & has jack-all to do w/ TB.

FT has developed after 17 years into a mature IBB. A lot of 'hot button' issues & new forums have been settled along the years, so there has been less for TB to do. 95% of FTers could care less about the administration of FT. They're here to learn more about miles & points.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.