Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

No TB Elections: TalkBoard Disbands 30 Nov 2016

No TB Elections: TalkBoard Disbands 30 Nov 2016

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 6, 16, 12:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
TalkBoard Will Disband 30 November 2016

"Talkboard will be disbanded at the end of November. Many people have faithfully served as Talkboard members. Many good decisions have come from it, and FlyerTalk has been strengthened as a result. However, FlyerTalk is now a mature board with little activity where Talkboard can engage. It's been increasingly difficult to get members to vote in the Talkboard election. I think that readers are happy to engage in conversations about miles and points but have little interest in the mechanics of the board. I deeply appreciate all that Talkboard has done over the years. We are a better site thanks to their efforts.

Carol
Community Director"
(See post #4)

In our opinion, the members who have so ably served TalkBoard and the Community over the years deserve our thanks for sharing their interest, time, efforts and varied points of view towad building an ever better FlyerTalk.

Please direct your comments, feedback and discussion regarding this new stage in FlyerTalk's growth and direction in a friendly, respectful FlyerTalk manner here.

JDiver and Moderator2, proud to have been your TalkBoard forum Moderator team
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 8, 16, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Amtrak Select
I am vehemently opposed to the removal of TalkBoard, not only because we have created some forums that I don't think would have been created otherwise but also on a personal level, because people did select me to serve a two year term and now that won't happen. This has been a really important part of my Flyertalk experience, I am saddened and disappointed it's coming to an end.
Old Nov 8, 16, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by kokonutz
In recent years the cumbersome TB Guidelines (that, in fairness, I led the drafting of back in the day) have retarded nimble reactions to the marketplace, and so the process was doing more harm than good.
TB Guidelines retarded nimble reactions? Actually it was quite the opposite as those same TB Guidelines until amended allowed a motion you made to be seconded and receive enough votes to ensure adoption in under 17 hours. It was so fast IIRC there was no time for a site-wide announcement so if that isn't legislative nimbleness I'm not quite sure what is.

While admittedly not all TB decisions were cast with quite the same haste several were which prompted TB to agree to slow the process down by further TB Guidelines amendments to create a timelag to force members to count to 48 hours before rushing to cast their ballots.

I respect and applaud the CD's decision to disband TB as it had become a body that had outlived its usefulness.
Old Nov 8, 16, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
While admittedly not all TB decisions were cast with quite the same haste several were which prompted TB to agree to slow the process down by further TB Guidelines amendments to create a timelag to force members to count to 48 hours before rushing to cast their ballots.
The only positive about TalkBoard going away is that I will no longer have to read such factually incorrect posts. This didn't happen. There was no rush to cast ballots. And hell let's say they were. Has there ever been a time when new information arose that if people had waited until the end of voting it would have been a difference in forum creation?
Old Nov 8, 16, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
The only positive about TalkBoard going away is that I will no longer have to read such factually incorrect posts. This didn't happen. There was no rush to cast ballots.
Factually incorrect? You deny TB voted with such speed and later in an act of contrition agreed to amend its own guidelines to slow down the balloting process as these are all matters of public record.
Old Nov 9, 16, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Factually incorrect? You deny TB voted with such speed and later in an act of contrition agreed to amend its own guidelines to slow down the balloting process as these are all matters of public record.
Yes, I deny that. Because I was strongly opposed to the changes to voting because the "problem" did not exist. There was no mythical rush to voting. It's this bizarre straw man argument that a disillusioned TB member who openly complains about the pointlessness of TB but won't resign and another who likes to wait the full voting period (and occasionally forgets to vote) came up with and you and others bought it.
Old Nov 9, 16, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Yes, I deny that. Because I was strongly opposed to the changes to voting because the "problem" did not exist. There was no mythical rush to voting. It's this bizarre straw man argument that a disillusioned TB member who openly complains about the pointlessness of TB but won't resign and another who likes to wait the full voting period (and occasionally forgets to vote) came up with and you and others bought it.
No rush to voting? The public record clearly shows otherwise as a trio of 2014 decisions sped from motion to notice of enough votes having been garnered to see its passage in less than a day.

The motion to create a premium fare sub forum was motioned, seconded and garnered enough voted to be adopted in a record 17 hours as is shown in this this thread. This was done without a site-wide announcement having been posted to advertise to the general membership that the TB was even considering the matter. Another snap vote happened in the motion to create a Citibank - Thank You Rewards forum which took 19 hours from motion to adoption as noted here. The third rush to vote in 2014 took all of 24 hours to create a USA destination forum as noted in this thread.

TB voted 7-2 in favor of creating a timelag to slow down the TB voting process as recorded here so obviously a majority of members disagreed with your dissenting opinion and moved to change the procedure.

The relative merit of each forum or amount of public consultation are not the issue but rather the speed at which TB moved to render its decision once a motion was posted in these cases. That speed wasn't always the case prior to 2014 nor has it been since but the facts show it did happen in 3 cases.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 9, 16 at 9:23 am
Old Nov 9, 16, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks to current/prior TB members (and CD and IB et al) !
Old Nov 9, 16, 2:03 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
TB Guidelines retarded nimble reactions? Actually it was quite the opposite as those same TB Guidelines until amended allowed a motion you made to be seconded and receive enough votes to ensure adoption in under 17 hours. It was so fast IIRC there was no time for a site-wide announcement so if that isn't legislative nimbleness I'm not quite sure what is.

I respect and applaud the CD's decision to disband TB as it had become a body that had outlived its usefulness.
It's tough to be nimble when such a high bar of consensus is required.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Nov 9, 16, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No rush to voting? The public record clearly shows otherwise as a trio of 2014 decisions sped from motion to notice of enough votes having been garnered to see its passage in less than a day.

The motion to create a premium fare sub forum was motioned, seconded and garnered enough voted to be adopted in a record 17 hours as is shown in this this thread. This was done without a site-wide announcement having been posted to advertise to the general membership that the TB was even considering the matter. Another snap vote happened in the motion to create a Citibank - Thank You Rewards forum which took 19 hours from motion to adoption as noted here. The third rush to vote in 2014 took all of 24 hours to create a USA destination forum as noted in this thread.
Fine, let's say we accept your analysis that there was a "rush to voting". Why exactly is a pejorative? Has the new forum hurt Flyertalk or any of its members in any way? Have any forums that have been opened "quickly" hurt Flyertalk or members in any way? Or is this just complain for the sake of complaining?
Old Nov 9, 16, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimePlatinumPremier
Folks, TB has served FT very well over the years.

To quote the CD:

"Many people have faithfully served as Talkboard members. Many good decisions have come from it, and FlyerTalk has been strengthened as a result. However, FlyerTalk is now a mature board with little activity where Talkboard can engage. It's been increasingly difficult to get members to vote in the Talkboard election. I think that readers are happy to engage in conversations about miles and points but have little interest in the mechanics of the board. I deeply appreciate all that Talkboard has done over the years. We are a better site thanks to their efforts."

Let's just go w/ that as our send-off.
Old Nov 9, 16, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Fine, let's say we accept your analysis that there was a "rush to voting".
My analysis? The linked TB decisions are a matter of fact. Just trying to be factually correct after all.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Folks, TB has served FT very well over the years.
Let's just go w/ that as our send-off.
Quite so will leave it at that and thank the members for their service and wish both them and the CD well.
Old Nov 11, 16, 3:07 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post

That said, TB has always served a vital role as a sounding board for FlyerTalk Management. As such, I do hope and expect that Carol will continue to reach out to non-moderator FlyerTalkers for focus groups and sounding boards.
This.
For someone who has not served but have had an interest in the management, structure and direction of the site, it feels like the disbandment of the TB removes the vertical connection between member and management.

So the only role left for members is to "engage in conversations about miles and points" now? Sad.
Old Nov 11, 16, 12:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
This.
For someone who has not served but have had an interest in the management, structure and direction of the site, it feels like the disbandment of the TB removes the vertical connection between member and management.

So the only role left for members is to "engage in conversations about miles and points" now? Sad.
No. As has been stated in this thread, other member-friendly processes for communicating with management are under consideration and are very likely to be put into place.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I appreciate all suggestions on how to most effectively get feedback from members. I have had direct conversation with several people and continue to consider the issue. Lots of great ideas come from members and they are often improved by other members adding their voices. Some years ago, we had a forum called "suggestions". It was intended for this purpose. It primarily got used for matters that were similar to Technical Issues, so was merged with that forum. I rather like the name suggested by the OP as that gives greater clarity than simply saying "suggestions". I do not intend to have an Only Community Director forum, no matter the endless amusement we'd all get from OCD. And I don't intend to respond to every thread that is begun. Rather, I'll be looking for ideas that take root and germinate among members.

Carol
Community Director
If you have suggestions, you may wish to share them there.
Old Nov 11, 16, 5:05 pm

Personally I congratulate the CD on this move. Whilst the TalkBoard has undoubtedly done good work, the rather tedious bickering that broke out on several occasions impaired the credibility of the group in my opinion.
Old Nov 14, 16, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
Personally I congratulate the CD on this move. Whilst the TalkBoard has undoubtedly done good work, the rather tedious bickering that broke out on several occasions impaired the credibility of the group in my opinion.
Bickering on FT has been going on since FT's earliest days. And it's never been limited to TB or OMNI or any other single section of FT. The richest bickering I've ever seen online has been in the Miles & Points section. But then again there too is a move to "drain the swamp" and target the perceived "signal to noise" ratio on FT.

Search this Thread