Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Lodging Services forum (such as Airbnb, VRBO, Homeaway, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lodging Services forum (such as Airbnb, VRBO, Homeaway, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:57 am

They should be on the site.

Quite important for people who do not travel a lot and
need that advice.

I travel a lot but don't need it.

A definite need for it -- i have asked others and they agree!

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 2, 2016 at 8:38 am Reason: Merging consecutive posts with like commentary
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:24 am

Smile Lodging services

I'd like to see a forum for and about lodging. It would be great if it were in individual countries, too. If it's too broad it's too boring to comb through every post when you just want to go to a few countries.

I think it's a great idea and will be sure to post there when it's ready.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta - but no longer travel for business like I did.
As a user of airbnb I am definitely in favor of a dedicated forum. Mostly used for business travel to France however I've used it in the US a couple of times each for personal and business travel. I am primarily looking for extended stay type offerings. So far I have not had a negative experience but recognize the risk is higher than staying at a traditional hotel.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by frugaltravelsnepal
I'd like to see a forum for and about lodging. It would be great if it were in individual countries, too. If it's too broad it's too boring to comb through every post when you just want to go to a few countries.

I think it's a great idea and will be sure to post there when it's ready.
If the forum is created, you can do a search within the thread for the country you're interested in to see if there are posts on lodging services within that country.

Cheers.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
What are the pros and cons of merging Hotwire and Priceline hotel discussion into Lodging Services?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
The only con I can think of: it's yet another forum to think about.

Lots of pros, though. Personally, I like having more granularity in the forums so I don't have to wade through 997 meaningless posts to find the 3 on the topic that I really care about (or trying to find something in a completely illogical location, like when the British railways were under the BMI forum). I used to have a list of airlines that I followed every day, but found it was taking 3 hours just to get through the new posts and comments, even skipping most of them!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I'm all for it. Great idea!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:21 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'm thinking that Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies should be renamed to exclude non-opaque lodging. It could be named something like Opaque Booking Services (Hotwire, Priceline, etc.). Then maybe there should be a separate new forum for Online Air Travel Agencies (Orbitz, etc.).

Hotels.com discussion would move to Lodging Services with AirBnB et al.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm thinking that Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies should be renamed to exclude non-opaque lodging. It could be named something like Opaque Booking Services (Hotwire, Priceline, etc.). Then maybe there should be a separate new forum for Online Air Travel Agencies (Orbitz, etc.).

I'm thinking three forums is too many.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx

Don't over-complicate it. We don't need 3 extra forums.

I'm fine w/ the suggestion of Lodging Services forum (such as Airbnb, VRBO), similar to the Ride Services (such as Uber, Lyft).

Cheers.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:21 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It would actually be one new plus a split of the existing Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies into 2 forums, so a net increase of 2.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

I'm fine w/ the suggestion of Lodging Services forum (such as Airbnb, VRBO), similar to the Ride Services (such as Uber, Lyft).

Cheers.
+1@:-)
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: United Platinum,1M miler; Alaska OneWorld Sapphire
Yes, definitely. I've used AirBNB in the US, France, and Spain and it would be great to have a place to discuss these experiences, changes in terms of service, etc.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great idea. Been using such services for three years now. Have used the major sites - Airbnb, Homeaway, Flipkey, VRBO - but also small location based services.
Most of the discussions I've come across have been along the line of "hotel or Airbnb." Useful, but having its own forum will hopefully elicit more sharing of experience and knowledge of specific markets, neighborhoods, vendors, and properties.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
It would actually be one new plus a split of the existing Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies into 2 forums, so a net increase of 2.
Your suggestion is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. No one has complained about the current Online Travel Booking & Bidding Agencies forum.

This thread is about Lodging Services.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.