Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Closing the Smoking Section Forum [Update: it will stay open]

Closing the Smoking Section Forum [Update: it will stay open]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 1, 16, 2:01 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Post #116 by the Community Director:

"I've no plans to close the forum."

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post

It's great to see new voices in this thread. Some have just learned of the Smoking Forum and hopefully will now use it. For the many reasons listed above:
  1. It's a resource forum that doesn't require give and take conversation to be of value
  2. Smoking has become a negative topic in general. This forum is a safe haven for discussion.
  3. It doesn't take resources from other forums

I've no plans to close the forum.

Carol
Community Director
Print Wikipost

 
Old Sep 13, 16, 8:05 pm
  #121  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,803
Originally Posted by Drifter48 View Post
I just learned of the Smoking Forum. Thank you for keeping it open.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

NOTE, fellow members: the Wikipost at the top of the thread contains the contents of a post from our Community Director, made today:

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post

It's great to see new voices in this thread. Some have just learned of the Smoking Forum and hopefully will now use it. For the many reasons listed above:
  1. It's a resource forum that doesn't require give and take conversation to be of value
  2. Smoking has become a negative topic in general. This forum is a safe haven for discussion.
  3. It doesn't take resources from other forums

I've no plans to close the forum.

Carol
Community Director
JDiver, Moderator
JDiver is offline  
Old Sep 13, 16, 8:26 pm
  #122  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1P
Posts: 280
Good news. As a FlyerTalk member since '02 who smoked then but hasn't in several years, I recall how hard it was to find information. Glad to know this forum will keep going for those who want to use it.
1K wannabe is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 12:32 am
  #123  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SAN, PSP
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Hilton Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 111
Leave it alone

thanks all
ChrisInSD is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 5:48 am
  #124  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,355
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more View Post
Since the talkmail has attracted a lot of new participants to this thread, and not everyone will go back an read all posts in the thread, I'll repost what I posted earlier:
Cluttering up more active forums with more wiki and sticky posts isn't all that welcomed by me. A special interest travel section for smoking while traveling is more welcomed by me than a FT shift toward the "search the wiki", "read the sticky", and "this isn't the place for discussion/debate" attitude.

Signed,

Your friendly neighborhood never-been-a-smoker voice
GUWonder is online now  
Old Sep 14, 16, 6:08 am
  #125  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
why end it? the forum is here to answer as many questions as possible. Non smokers will not open it unless they want to avoid smoke then they info. I agree let it stay
ajbkk is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 9:36 am
  #126  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 25,114
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
It's great to see new voices in this thread. Some have just learned of the Smoking Forum and hopefully will now use it. For the many reasons listed above:
  1. It's a resource forum that doesn't require give and take conversation to be of value
  2. Smoking has become a negative topic in general. This forum is a safe haven for discussion.
  3. It doesn't take resources from other forums

I've no plans to close the forum.

Carol
Community Director
Great news Carol! ^

Sorry tcook052
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 9:52 am
  #127  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 53,081
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Great news Carol! ^

Sorry tcook052
No worries. We're all just sharing our opinions and mine happens to be that not only that are too many forums but there are too many forums with too little traffic. It wasn't an personal thing against smoking at all just identifying it among other forums with barely any traffic. If the Talk Mail drives participation in this forum and raises its profile then it'll get used more and perhaps this thread and this conversation wasn't such a bad thing to have.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 14, 16 at 12:19 pm
tcook052 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 2:49 pm
  #128  
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Posts: 34,436
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
...too little traffic. ...
48,000 post views in three months ≠ "too little traffic."

But, yes, if the TalkMail article brings more researchers to our little library -- plus the occasional contribution -- that is certainly evidence of a strong forum, that, as Carol says, does not need discussion posts to be successful.

And thank you, Carol, for your helpful comments. ^
cblaisd is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 3:41 pm
  #129  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,355
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
48,000 post views in three months ≠ "too little traffic."

But, yes, if the TalkMail article brings more researchers to our little library -- plus the occasional contribution -- that is certainly evidence of a strong forum, that, as Carol says, does not need discussion posts to be successful.

And thank you, Carol, for your helpful comments. ^
Didn't her post say the forum is a safe haven for discussion?
GUWonder is online now  
Old Sep 14, 16, 3:43 pm
  #130  
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Posts: 34,436
Yes.

But "discussion" (i.e., post-count) is not required to count the forum a success, given its different purpose and structure.
cblaisd is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 9:55 pm
  #131  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 53,081
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
48,000 post views in three months ≠ "too little traffic."
That's a pretty high number unless you are counting all the sticky and threads created more than 3 months ago on page one. Actual views of new posts & threads made within the last 3 months would be a fraction of that number.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 15, 16 at 12:01 pm
tcook052 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 16, 1:30 am
  #132  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Posts: 11,570
Perhaps high traffic can be generated by instigating the perception that an attack is perpetrated on a select demography (frequent flying smokers in this case), who then rush to defend.

Maybe we need more "it is time to close the ... forum" threads, and hope to get them featured by the owner so every low traffic forum finds it crowd.
intuition is offline  
Old Sep 15, 16, 5:43 am
  #133  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,355
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Perhaps high traffic can be generated by instigating the perception that an attack is perpetrated on a select demography (frequent flying smokers in this case), who then rush to defend.

Maybe we need more "it is time to close the ... forum" threads, and hope to get them featured by the owner so every low traffic forum finds it crowd.
That is one way to do things.

Sometimes the counts of threads, of posts and/or of post views may be rather misleading in what they may otherwise indicate if unaware of historical context. Examples of this can be found in the way TS&S topics have been dealt with on FT. The numbers may make some think that one part of FT is way more vibrant than another part of FT discussing the same or related topics, and yet an objective analysis based on historical awareness may right that misperception/claim using counts of some sort or another.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Sep 15, 16, 7:04 am
  #134  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The electrified part of North Carolina
Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Posts: 4,157
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Cluttering up more active forums with more wiki and sticky posts isn't all that welcomed by me. A special interest travel section for smoking while traveling is more welcomed by me than a FT shift toward the "search the wiki", "read the sticky", and "this isn't the place for discussion/debate" attitude.

Signed,

Your friendly neighborhood never-been-a-smoker voice
Fair enough.

My position is not that smokers shouldn't be allowed to provide and receive information about where they can or cannot smoke. Rather, I think that a wiki could be a better format, but your point about wikis and how they may end up being used is valid.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Sep 15, 16 at 7:19 am
UA1K_no_more is offline  
Old Oct 1, 16, 1:39 pm
  #135  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: san francisco
Programs: Chase UR, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, CCarlson Gold, VirginAtl Silver
Posts: 396
Thank you, Carol.
jsn55 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: