Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum

Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I am aware this may be an unpopular motion, but it's something I've been giving a lot of thought to and I want to discuss it.

I think the External Miles and Points Resources Forum reflects very badly on this website. The amount of value it adds is heavily outweighed by the type of conversation it generates. In the last few months there has been back and forth about such rich topics as Ben's (Lucky, One Mile at a Time) sexuality, whether Rene (Rene's Points) needs to add an apostrophe to his blog and conversation about his ignorance in doing so and similar. This is supposed to be a community website and a resource for all things travel. A forum where the conversation is skewed towards mocking and bashing bloggers doesn't seem to add to that. The amount of moderation that has to happen there is staggering. Threads quickly turn into personal attacks among the posters and posts are deleted frequently.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am guilty of this too. I've posted there many times and said stuff that I regret now. But I'm also in a position where maybe I can make the change. I'm curious as to whether others feel the forum adds value or detracts from FT as a whole.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I feel that it still adds value..... it's mostly entertaining to read and these threads would otherwise pop-up in other places.
And being political correct gets tiresome as well. Lots of bloggers have different agenda's to what they are displaying why shouldn't that be discussed. They have purposely put themselves and their views out there, mostly to make money. Then expect to be criticized.

But I wouldn't lose much sleep over the forum disappearing either :-).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I follow quite a few blogs and believe that they are valuable. Anything that discourages bloggers is detrimental. If Flyertalk has a place where people can bash bloggers with impunity, then we need to fix that.

Bruce
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by CMK10
The amount of moderation that has to happen there is staggering.
You'd be surprised how little moderation I do there. I'm happy to report that AFAIR I have not banned anyone due to posts in EM&PR either, except maybe a few sockpuppets/duplicates. We have the usual mix of strong opinions on either side and a few baiters, no different from what you would see on an airline FFP section.

This topic has been debated in the following thread, but not really come to a conclusion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...reas-fall.html
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:33 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
If we are going to close forums that mock and/or bash businesses in the points and miles business, we need to start with closing the Delta and United forums.

Originally Posted by CMK10
whether Rene (Rene's Points) needs to add an apostrophe to his blog
Correction: the name of the blog is not Rene's Points, it's Renes Points. @:-)
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I follow quite a few blogs and believe that they are valuable. Anything that discourages bloggers is detrimental. If Flyertalk has a place where people can bash bloggers with impunity, then we need to fix that.

Bruce
Do you honestly believe that the main bloggers (Ben, Gary, TPG) are losing sleep over what is discussed in that forum? Do you think they are going to reduce the number of blog posts with click-bait titles or a dozen credit card affiliate links per post or not linking to the best sign-up deal?

The answer is no. Those blogs are businesses plain and simple. If we can discuss the food and IFE for airlines then why can't people discuss the business practice of a for-profit blog?

I think personal attacks are uncalled for, but discussing why Lucky never leaves his hotel to eat is fair game.

PS: That exact discussion led to a blog post two days later. EMPR is actually increasing the number of blog posts!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by skunker
Do you honestly believe that the main bloggers (Ben, Gary, TPG) are losing sleep over what is discussed in that forum? Do you think they are going to reduce the number of blog posts with click-bait titles or a dozen credit card affiliate links per post or not linking to the best sign-up deal?

The answer is no. Those blogs are businesses plain and simple. If we can discuss the food and IFE for airlines then why can't people discuss the business practice of a for-profit blog?

I think personal attacks are uncalled for, but discussing why Lucky never leaves his hotel to eat is fair game.

PS: That exact discussion led to a blog post two days later. EMPR is actually increasing the number of blog posts!
You said it perfectly. Bloggers that mislead their readers, don't tell them about better offers they could get on their own, who perpetrate "I fly in F for free and listen to me and you can too" should be discussed and hopefully some person will benefit by finding the forum and not be taken for a sucker.

Are some of the bloggers in question trying to apply pressure to have the forum closed?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: US,HH
It's a cesspool.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:34 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by cruisr
Are some of the bloggers in question trying to apply pressure to have the forum closed?
Not which I am aware...

...and I do not see why they would want this forum closed, as every time someone furnishes a link to one of their weblogs to denounce it, it ironically has the counter effect of increasing traffic...
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I'm just hoping to write some particular crappy posts that get me my own hate/"critique" thread here, should help viewer numbers!
...which they want.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Correction: the name of the blog is not Rene's Points, it's Renes Points. @:-)
The name is Renés Points...

...and at this time, I am opposed to closing that forum — but as usual, I am keeping an open mind because I want to read more opinions of what other fellow FlyerTalk members have to say.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by kellio33
It's a cesspool.
Who could argue with that well thought-out comment?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:18 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bdschobel
...If Flyertalk has a place where people can bash bloggers with impunity, then we need to fix that.
It does and we do, yes.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You'd be surprised how little moderation I do there.
Actually, I wouldn't.

It's a cesspool.
Agreed.

It also allows -- why, I will never know -- incessant personal attacks on members of FlyerTalk. We don't allow that anywhere else. Why here?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I refuse to visit blogs, I go into that forum just to see what may be going on and to confirm that my decision to not give them any clicks is still valid.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by cblaisd
It also allows -- why, I will never know -- incessant personal attacks on members of FlyerTalk. We don't allow that anywhere else. Why here?
Aren't they now considered public figures? As soon as one of them gets quoted, with their real name and the name of the blog, don't they become public figures and are free game?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The name is Renés Points...
Not on my keyboard.

It's a cesspool.
Likely what Ed Bastian thinks of the Delta forum on FT...
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:14 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Aren't they now considered public figures? As soon as one of them gets quoted, with their real name and the name of the blog, don't they become public figures and are free game?
Perhaps you're right. But I would hope we'd have higher standards of civility and politeness for those are still members of FlyerTalk , even if they don't post often (and can you blame them when attacks and salacious posts and innuendo concerning a member's sexuality are allowed to stand?). In some cases, these members contributed a great deal to the formation of FlyerTalk.

The whole forum is just an excercise in unfettered fecklessness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.