Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should FlyerTalk move from an elected advisory board to an appointed advisory board?

Should FlyerTalk move from an elected advisory board to an appointed advisory board?

Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If she does got this direction, I hope Carol would include a cross-representation of FlyerTalkers...power users, moderators, outside the box thinkers, new users and old timers.
I totally agree -but again I will state - very happy for the CD to make the call.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm not sure why this is even a discussion.

If the current TB is dysfunctional, then OUST THE CURRENT TALKBOARD at the next election.

It doesn't have to be this way, folks. The mod group is already appointed, it's nice to have a group here that is chosen by the members, even if few choose to participate in the election.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RichMSN

If the current TB is dysfunctional, then OUST THE CURRENT TALKBOARD at the next election.

It doesn't have to be this way, folks. The mod group is already appointed, it's nice to have a group here that is chosen by the members, even if few choose to participate in the election.
Me and like 400 of my friends could take the TB over!

Hmmmm....
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

I agree. Unless it gets to the point where so few votes are cast that TB can't actually fill the vacancies in that cycle, why not just keep it going as is?

Not that I'll lose any sleep over this either way, as the need for TB seems marginal at best at this point, but that's another discussion.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I agree. Unless it gets to the point where so few votes are cast that TB can't actually fill the vacancies in that cycle, why not just keep it going as is?

Not that I'll lose any sleep over this either way, as the need for TB seems marginal at best at this point, but that's another discussion.
I think the TB serves a really important role. It gives the CD a user focus group, a sounding board and management advice. What it no longer does is reflect the will of the community. Both because 'the community' no longer exists site-wide; rather FT is now made up of many mini-communities. But also because with <500 people voting it is clearly not a role many posters care to have representation in.

If Carol and those of us who do care deeply about the management of FT are ok with that, the that's fine.

But if we are missing out on a best practice around this then we ought to think hard about it.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the TB serves a really important role. It gives the CD a user focus group, a sounding board and management advice. What it no longer does is reflect the will of the community. Both because 'the community' no longer exists site-wide; rather FT is now made up of many mini-communities. But also because with <500 people voting it is clearly not a role many posters care to have representation in.

If Carol and those of us who do care deeply about the management of FT are ok with that, the that's fine.

But if we are missing out on a best practice around this then we ought to think hard about it.
This post got me thinking about whether there could be a role for some of the largest fora on FT to have their own advisory boards. In addition to addressing the issue of some FT participants identifying more with the forum associated with their primary program rather than FT as a whole, this would be a nice way to involve more people in FT. Also, within these fora, people who participate a lot are more likely to know each other. For example, the BA board has some DOs as well as lounge meetings, DL has organized a couple big DOs, UA/AA people know each other through the *A/oneworld megados, there's an annual Hyatt DO in London (and some have been tried in more exotic locations), etc.

Any such group would need to work closely and well with the forum's moderators.

I realize that this role is performed currently to some extent by the forum Ambassadors for fora that have Ambassadors on FT, but that role and especially the selection criteria are somewhat different that what would be involved for an advisory board. Forum advisory board members could be elected, but perhaps without the series of election debate questions (or a shorter list of questions). I assume that this could be done pretty easily since FT already has the software set up for TB elections.

I'm not necessarily advocating this but rather I wanted to toss out the idea and see what people think.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This post got me thinking about whether there could be a role for some of the largest fora on FT to have their own advisory boards.

Any such group would need to work closely and well with the forum's moderators.
I would love to see who would be on the Delta version- I have my own ideas of course.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I would love to see who would be on the Delta version- I have my own ideas of course.
Are you volunteering?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:15 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Are you volunteering?
I know to whom GRALISTAIR is referring; but that is not the topic of this discussion.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium

There needs to be an avenue for people not on the "approved list" to participate / volunteer. I just think this is a horrible idea.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you volunteering?
No - but if asked would reconsider. Definitely needs women so you and rwoman for a start. Scoow if she would do it - and others. Also ideally needs someone in European time zone IMHO.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:39 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

This!
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR

There needs to be an avenue for people not on the "approved list" to participate / volunteer. I just think this is a horrible idea.
Exactly.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There needs to be an avenue for people not on the "approved list" to participate / volunteer.
I was taught a long time ago "1 volunteer is better than 10 pressed men" as in pressed into service. I do have some sympathy with this point of view. All volunteers would still have to be screened by mod team CD etc.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
There needs to be an avenue for people not on the "approved list" to participate / volunteer.
I agree. Even if that avenue is writing a PM to the Community Director offering to serve.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

While the previous administrator had a 'nice' and 'naughty' list that was more or less set in stone, IME the current CD is far more tolerant of (and even sometimes encourages) disagreement and outside the box thinkers.

I wouldn't be floating this idea under the previous administration because I would agree with your point. Especially since I was firmly entrenched on the 'naughty' list.

But times change. And I think that's a testament to the current CD. My goal here is to help her take it to the next level.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.