Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Other Air Travel+ Private and Non-Airline Aviation Forum

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Other Air Travel+ Private and Non-Airline Aviation Forum

Old Jun 9, 16, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of an “Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation” forum.

Forum title: Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Forum description: General Aviation, Private Jets, and other Non-Airline Aviation"

Moved by SkiAdcock, seconded by CMK10

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread, or in the other discussion thread.

Voting will commence by TB members two days after the public posting of this motion which will be 4:07 AM on June 12, 2016

Last edited by CMK10; Jun 24, 16 at 4:34 pm
Old Jun 9, 16, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Glad we're moving forward on this & I appreciate FTers' thoughts up to now on the proposed forum.

Two things:

While not specified above, the thought is that the forum will reside in the Travel & Dining forum as it doesn't fit in with Miles&Points, Community, Omni or Destinations. We normally rely on the CommunityDirector to ascertain where a forum best makes sense for FT. Sometimes it's obvious, if (for example) it's an airline forum. Other times not, but T&D makes sense (look at the list of forums under T&D to see what I mean). We don't often put where a forum will reside in motions, although we have done so on occasion. However, the ultimate decision is up to the CommunityDirector.

Also, hat tip to MSPEconomist for her initial list of what might be included in the new forum (presuming it passes). I said in both the private & public forum that I thought she did a good job. Note, the list is not all-encompassing, but does give a good overview.

The list was not included in the forum description because, well, forum descriptions are pretty much short, sweet & to the point. The thought is that once the forum (if it passes) gets created, her list will become a sticky for the forum & the mods across FT will be aware of what might go in the forum so they can move threads over.

Here's her list:

"Private jets, owned or leased by the individual or business, with maintenance, etc. often outsourced

Private jet shared ownership programs

General rental of private aircraft, with or without crew provided

Private jet charter programs of major carriers, like DL Private Jets, that might or might not carry FF program miles and elite status

Sports charters, etc.

One time charters for private groups, like the MegaDO flights

Charter flights, often in connection with packaged tours (less common now than previously?)

Helicopters (often airport service, so this would belong in destination fora except for discussion of operators that span regions and general issues, plus sightseeing helicopter flights)

Fixed wing sight seeing flights (belongs in destination fora, except for general issues and any interregional operators)

Balloons (general issues only, with remainder in destination fora)

Gliders (general issues, with remainder in destination fora)

Commercial flights into space, any type of vehicle

Flight schools and flying lessons"

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 16, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Thanks, this is great!

Just to reiterate my support, this will be a fantastic way of consolidating information about Private Jets and other non-airline travel that didn't have a home elsewhere. Services such as JetSmarter, empty leg flights and various private shuttles are making this form of transport more accessible, and we have many Flyertalkers who use these services.
Old Jun 9, 16, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think this would be hugely beneficial to FLYERtalk especially as the industry / market of 'non-airline' flights continues to grow with all sorts of different offerings

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
“Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation”

Moved by SkiAdcock, seconded by CMK10
pretty brilliant name , and nice work by everyone !

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
the thought is that the forum will reside in the Travel & Dining
re location, at the bottom of Travel&Dining on front page >

Travel Safety/Security
Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Luxury Hotels
Expert Hotel Reviews
Cruises [1,648 Threads]
Budget Travel

perhaps this forum could be listed somewhere in there ?

Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
Thanks, this is great!

Just to reiterate my support, this will be a fantastic way of consolidating information about Private Jets and other non-airline travel that didn't have a home elsewhere. Services such as JetSmarter, empty leg flights and various private shuttles are making this form of transport more accessible, and we have many Flyertalkers who use these services.
thanks for proposing and (the effort of) supporting it !

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 10, 16 at 8:11 am
Old Jun 9, 16, 11:28 pm

I vote yes. Does this inclue flights like Jet Suite X ?

https://x.jetsuite.com
Old Jun 9, 16, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I have alway voted for am AOPA, air craft owners and pilots Association,

I have owned 3, I feel some have started on their license and other bills has prevailed..

There are ultra lights, balloons, choppers, and gyros, one would be surprised to see what is at Oshkosh Fly In 500,000 people plus shows up for this EAA Event.. Even some jets..
Old Jun 10, 16, 3:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post

Yes, JetSuite was one of the threads that got this topic started

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...iscussion.html
Old Jun 10, 16, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post

Yes, JetSuite was one of the threads that got this topic started

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...iscussion.html
jetsuite is charter

jetsuitex is scheduled RJs, sell cheap seats on their website but not GDS/OTA, an example of "scheduled charter" and options besides big commercial airlines, and when only sold on their own website, discussion on FT becomes extremely valuable to find new offerings

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 10, 16 at 10:25 am
Old Jun 10, 16, 10:12 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Once the forum is established — pending the outcome and results of a vote by members of TalkBoard, of course, of which a poll will be created tomorrow after the period of 48 hours expires — there is no reason why the community director or moderators cannot modify the purview and description of what can and cannot be discussed in the forum as according to changes in the needs of members of FlyerTalk in the future.
Old Jun 10, 16, 11:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
Once the forum is established — pending the outcome and results of a vote by members of TalkBoard, of course, of which a poll will be created tomorrow after the period of 48 hours expires — there is no reason why the community director or moderators cannot modify the purview and description of what can and cannot be discussed in the forum as according to changes in the needs of members of FlyerTalk in the future.
This is partly why I think it's important that TB motions creating new fora should include a description of what should and should not be included. Otherwise the forum can be set up in a way which is very different from the concept on which TB members believed they were voting.
Old Jun 10, 16, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forum title: Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Forum description: General Aviation, Private Jets, and other Non-Airline Aviation"

sounded well put to me, whoever helped come up with that
Old Jun 10, 16, 11:17 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Otherwise the forum can be set up in a way which is very different from the concept on which TB members believed they were voting.
I would be stunned if the mods or the CommunityDirector set up the forum other than the way it was intended/voting, especially since your list, which was discussed in the private & public forum before the motion was made, provided guidance & will be a sticky in the new forum (should this motion pass).

Cheers.
Old Jun 10, 16, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

agree re sticky / wiki with list etc, has option of being lounge thread as well
Old Jun 10, 16, 8:52 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Would love to read about experiences with this: http://www.jetsuite.com/suitedeal

Yes, yes, yes to this forum.
Old Jun 10, 16, 9:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I would be stunned if the mods or the CommunityDirector set up the forum other than the way it was intended/voting, especially since your list, which was discussed in the private & public forum before the motion was made, provided guidance & will be a sticky in the new forum (should this motion pass).

Cheers.
Will it be a sticky? Won't this be decided by the mod(s) assigned to the potential new forum?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: