Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Other Air Travel+ Private and Non-Airline Aviation Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Other Air Travel+ Private and Non-Airline Aviation Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Anyway, while I do not agree w/ your reason for abstaining, I appreciate your posting why you did so.
Yes. It makes for good entertainment on a night where the selections on the television are total crap.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yes. It makes for good entertainment on a night where the selections on the television are total crap.
Are you saying you enjoy watching reruns?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Canarsie
At least the popcorn he popped tonight didn't go to waste...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Um, actually now watching the A's whoop the Giants.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I decided to abstain not because I believe that my vote doesn't matter but because the motion was vague and incomplete. I tried to initiate discussion of exactly what would be included in the proposed new forum, but those initiating the motion didn't want to discuss that or include even such details as where the new forum would be located on FT. IMO TB recommendations should be specific and more than just an endorsement of an idea.
Then why not just vote against the motion rather than abstain if it was so vague and incomplete?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by tcook052
Then why not just vote against the motion rather than abstain if it was so vague and incomplete?
Because, I'm sure, the vote didn't matter. What would be the point of voting against something that's already passed?

Like me, I'm guessing she didn't dislike the concept of the forum. Heck, she drafted the content, or at least the vast majority. But I couldn't vote FOR it as it was presented, and I can substantiate that there were folks who didn't want to hear about it.

All that seems to matter is TIME. "You had months..." "We need to be responsive to our members...". "Let's get our votes in before the 2 day waiting period is over..." Oh, wait, that last one was not actually spoken or written, but it happened in the name of expediency.

No one is willing to even consider slowing down and handling this BOTH logically AND efficiently. Well, not "no one". Very few.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:18 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Because, I'm sure, the vote didn't matter. What would be the point of voting against something that's already passed?

Like me, I'm guessing she didn't dislike the concept of the forum. Heck, she drafted the content, or at least the vast majority. But I couldn't vote FOR it as it was presented, and I can substantiate that there were folks who didn't want to hear about it.

All that seems to matter is TIME. "You had months..." "We need to be responsive to our members...". "Let's get our votes in before the 2 day waiting period is over..." Oh, wait, that last one was not actually spoken or written, but it happened in the name of expediency.

No one is willing to even consider slowing down and handling this BOTH logically AND efficiently. Well, not "no one". Very few.
Every member of TalkBoard had at least four months to craft what he or she felt was a detailed proposal to ensure that the new forum would be optimum for as many members of FlyerTalk as possible.

Should we have waited five months for that “better” proposal, to be handled “logically and efficiently”? Six months? A year?!?

It is not enough to simply criticize an idea. You had ample opportunity to create a detailed proposal concerning that forum, which you did not do — and no one stopped you from doing so. I certainly would have considered what you would have presented.

If you do not like it, it is never too late: spend more time productively crafting a detailed proposal of what you want to see instead of publicly criticizing your colleagues for what you perceive to be not doing what we are supposed to do.

If you prefer not to draft what you consider an ideal proposal or motion, then live with the outcome and move on.

Criticize the proposals and motions all you want; but speak for yourself and do not speak for me in public or in private. This is the main issue I have with your contentions. My primary goal as a member of TalkBoard is to serve FlyerTalk members as best as possible, which I believe we have done with this motion and new forum.

Meanwhile, FlyerTalk members are currently enjoying the new forum; and I for one am proud of that.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

This again? Where do I start? Okay let's see, first of all you say we should slow down but we discussed this issue for over four months and when not a single person objected to the forum, we voted. There were also no alternate suggestions to our motion by anyone in the private forum, that includes you.

Furthermore, no one voted before the waiting period was over. There was a mistake where voting occurred before a site-wide announcement which has already been explained.

Again, we did want to hear about complaints about the motion. We asked you several times for alternate ideas and none were presented. Complaining for the sake of complaining instead of taking action helps no one.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

What a broken record. The question BTW was not addressed to you but the other TB member who abstained on this vote and I would be interested to hear their reply.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:01 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Blah blah blah.

I am very happy that the TB is able to make great recommendations like this one in spite of the 'sausage making' that seems to be running rampant on this iteration of TB. ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.