Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
We have the 48 hour announcement rule. Therefore it should be followed for *all* motions to which it applies, not just those that someone declares to be noncontroversial in their personal opinion.
Completely agree. Is there such a rush to create forums that TB members can't follow their own voting procedures? And why have rules in place if some choose not to follow them?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by simons1
Pleased to see that bitterness and rancour is alive and well amongst the TalkBoard members.

Honestly, can't you take the bickering elsewhere? Disappointingly as I recall it I did vote for some of you, not expecting this type of carry on.
This. I feel as if some of the TalkBoard members think bickering like children is an acceptable way to govern FT. There is a big difference between disagreeing on things and bickering and being petty. Unfortunately, as has been demonstrated recently, it seems some fail to realize that, or just like to show how immature they can be. Grow up, suck it up, work together, disagree with each other respectfully. If you want to act like children, resign from TalkBoard and go throw sand at each other in a sandbox.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock;2676832o7
As both a FT & TB member, I agree w/ simons01 that some of what has been posted in the public forum should have been said in a more appropriate place, which is - the private TB forum. @:-)

Given that the topic of the motion (Other Air Travel) was discussed for 4 months there was no rush to action. I also have faith in FTers, our constituents, that they will provide input on the motion, & look forward both as a TB member & a FTer, to their input in the voting/motion thread.

Cheers.
1. My name is simons1. I say that as there is I believe a simon01 as well.

2. Having taken 4 months to get to the start line (I seem to recall at one stage it was reinforced that only you guys could propose/second a motion) who not just crack on. The announcement is out there now.

3. With all the bickering, snark etc I wonder if FT members would have the same level of confidence?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
Completely agree. Is there such a rush to create forums that TB members can't follow their own voting procedures? And why have rules in place if some choose not to follow them?
We made a mistake, which was admitted to with full responsibility taken by the TB President, what more do you want?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CMK10
We made a mistake, which was admitted to with full responsibility taken by the TB President, what more do you want?
Apparently, this!

Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Play nice, children...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
To be abundantly clear, I abstained simply because my vote makes no difference. The forum is a solid idea, however.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 25, 2016 at 7:15 pm
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm going to make a post now about why I like the current system.

Talkboard's last vote was for the opening of a private jet forum. Voting opened on June 11. On June 16th, 7 votes were recorded as "Yes" and the forum opened. The last two people chose to wait until June 24th to vote (the vote was scheduled to close early morning June 26th). I am not in ANY WAY criticizing their decision to wait to vote, I understand that people have busy lives and also that people should take their time to decide how their conscience would want them to vote.

But should FTers have waited an extra 8 days to use a new forum whose creation was overwhelmingly favored? I don't think so.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
But should FTers have waited an extra 8 days to use a new forum whose creation was overwhelmingly favored? I don't think so.
Yes but then again what's the rush? Is it really going to inconvenience that many to wait that extra 8 days for what's likely to be a very lightly trafficked forum? I didn't see the pressing need to change the TB voting procedures to announce when enough votes had been received to ensure a motion had passed but that's only MHO and it's okay if YMMV.

What I do take umbrage with is two abstentions in this vote as sitting on the sidelines isn't what voters elected them to do.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
To be abundantly clear, I abstained simply because my vote makes no difference. The forum is a solid idea, however.
What's abundantly clear is the uselessness of abstaining for such a hollow reason. Members elected you to vote, not to find an excuse not to.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
What's abundantly clear is the uselessness of abstaining for such a hollow reason. Members elected you to vote, not to find an excuse not to.
+ ∞
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:18 pm

Yes but then again what's the rush? Is it really going to inconvenience that many to wait that extra 8 days for what's likely to be a very lightly trafficked forum? I didn't see the pressing need to change the TB voting procedures to announce when enough votes had been received to ensure a motion had passed but that's only MHO and it's okay if YMMV.

What I do take umbrage with is two abstentions in this vote as sitting on the sidelines isn't what voters elected them to do.
It's not a rush, but if 7 votes are cast in the first 5 days, and then the last to take another 8 days, there has to be a workaround. I've been on TB for 3 and a half years now, and the one constant I've come to find is that a super majority votes within a week while one or two holdouts decide to wait a longer period. And, I'm not saying either way is right, but I think because of this reality, the choice to open the forum early is the right way to go.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:19 pm

While I don't agree with his decision to abstain, I do give dchristiva credit for publicly explaining his reasoning for doing so.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
+ ∞
Agree, both as a regular FTer & as a fellow TB member. If the CD moves to an appointed board vs. elected, presumably she will choose members who will take their responsibilities seriously for the betterment of FT.

Cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
AGAIN, what is the point of my vote when the measure PASSED 6-0? Actually, 7-0, with 2 abstentions.

I'm amazed that more folks don't get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.