FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Traveling GREEN Forum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1752331-traveling-green-forum.html)

Romelle Mar 11, 2016 6:00 am

Traveling GREEN Forum?

I could see a new forum on FlyerTalk where people could post tips and ideas about traveling "green".

Examples:
Hanging towels that don't need washed just now.
If one opens hotel toiletries, take them home and finish using them.
Ask airports (that don't have them) to make available trash bins marked for the local recycling breakdown.
Tips on public transport at airports (this could also point to the one on Budget Travel about walking to the airport).

We all know we are blowing tons of fuel exhaust, but we also know we won't stop traveling. This might ease some consciences and do a little good.

Romelle

Whodunit68 Mar 11, 2016 6:24 am

I Like it.

I rip off luggage tags and other papers to recycle at home plus those hotel items not just bring home but I also bring home those empty bottles for recycling if I don't see any local.

lo2e Mar 11, 2016 8:54 am

Since I'm sure it will be asked - are there currently any threads dealing with those sorts of issues?

I'm not sure an entire forum for it is necessary, perhaps something like a Master Thread in TravelBuzz with a Wiki would work better IMO.

tcook052 Mar 11, 2016 11:22 am

There are too many existing places to discuss this issue at present I don't see the need to create another.

For example, tips on public transport should be placed in the individual destination forum while hotel amenity items should go in the specific hotel chain forum. Eco initiatives also are undertaken by providers so would wind up in that hotel or air forum. Seems like an unnecessary duplication to me but that's just MHO.

MSPeconomist Mar 11, 2016 2:51 pm

It could be good to have a comprehensive comparative list/discussion of the environmental policies of various hotel chains.

SkiAdcock Mar 12, 2016 6:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26319704)
It could be good to have a comprehensive comparative list/discussion of the environmental policies of various hotel chains.

Are you volunteering to compile it? I'm sure FTers would be appreciative.

Cheers.

Canarsie Mar 12, 2016 11:29 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 26318828)
There are too many existing places to discuss this issue at present I don't see the need to create another.

For example, tips on public transport should be placed in the individual destination forum while hotel amenity items should go in the specific hotel chain forum. Eco initiatives also are undertaken by providers so would wind up in that hotel or air forum. Seems like an unnecessary duplication to me but that's just MHO.

My initial thought is that I tend to agree with you...

...and then I wondered with this raw and unrefined thought: what if a label could be added to the title of a discussion — such as Green?

tcook052 Mar 12, 2016 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie (Post 26322876)
My initial thought is that I tend to agree with you...

...and then I wondered with this raw and unrefined thought: what if a label could be added to the title of a discussion — such as Green?

I've also felt that there could be numerous uses for identifying tabs in many fora but they would only really work so long as they were used.

For example in the MR Deals forum DOM or INT tabs could be used to distinguish between domestic and international tabs and members could chose to display only one or the other tab or all threads. Whether the IBB features for FT are quick this adept however is another story but it ultimately come down whether users were checking a box for a specific thread tab, for example, for any kind of identifier to be successful.

CMK10 Mar 13, 2016 11:20 am

My first thought is similar to Tcook's whereby most issues are already being discussed in their respective forum. My second thought is that there doesn't seem to be much demand for talking about this. But, lets see where the discussion goes.