Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Private Jet Forum discussion ("Other Air Travel..." forum now open)

Private Jet Forum discussion ("Other Air Travel..." forum now open)

 
Old Feb 17, 16, 7:15 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,723
Private Jet Forum discussion ("Other Air Travel..." forum now open)

Hi,

I would like to suggest the creation of a new forum section call "Private Jets". With the advent of JetSmarter, as well as several other new programs (e.g. Victor, Cojetage), private jets are now becoming accessible to a broader community of travelers. These flights have already been featured in trip reports, where there has been some active debate on the topic of flying private. The nature of these programs will be of interest to a broader section of the FlyerTalk community.

I think the most appropriate place for this is a general Private Jet category in "Miles and Points" under the "Airlines and Mileage Programs" section. Alternatively, it could be positioned under "Special Interest Travel" in the "Travel & Dining" forum.

Many thanks!
oenophilist is offline  
Old Feb 17, 16, 7:53 pm
  #2  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Posts: 19,555
I suppose you could start a thread in the Ride Services forum and see what happens.
nsx is offline  
Old Feb 17, 16, 8:09 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,670
Are there any existing threads discussing private jet travel, perhaps in Travel Buzz?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Feb 18, 16, 2:34 am
  #4  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,723
There are threads in multiple forums about private jets. Most of them are in "Trip Reports", where they have spurred discussions about private jet travel and the various apps. But they are also spread around TravelBuzz and others as well.

In addition, I have received and sent private messages discussing JetSmarter, which seems to be the most popular service right now. Many of these private messages would be appropriate on a forum if one existed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ee-flight.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...iness-jet.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...stream-iv.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ger-604-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...vate-jets.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rter-jets.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ker-850xp.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ted-dates.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...et-travel.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...periences.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ine-board.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...elicopter.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...etsmarter.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-jetsuite.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...e-charter.html
oenophilist is offline  
Old Feb 18, 16, 2:38 am
  #5  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,723
Just to add: I think the volume is a little lower than what you would normally have for a request for a new forum, but the problem is there is no forum that really is most appropriate for the discussion.
oenophilist is offline  
Old Feb 18, 16, 6:49 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,631
Hmm this is interesting. There's currently no home for such topics. Though I do wonder if enough people here would really want to talk about such things. After all, Flyertalk is very heavily miles and points based, private jets tend to run counter to that. But let's see where the discussion goes.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 16, 7:17 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,276
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Hmm this is interesting. There's currently no home for such topics. Though I do wonder if enough people here would really want to talk about such things. After all, Flyertalk is very heavily miles and points based, private jets tend to run counter to that. But let's see where the discussion goes.
Some LH privat jet discussions have taken place in the LH/LX forum; some DL privat jet discussions have taken place in the DL forum. Other discussions that are broader in scope have shown up elsewhere on FT, including perhaps in Travelbuzz.

Earning miles and status has been done before with the DL and LH offers.

I don't see a big demand on FT for this kind of dedicated forum, but I do note that some positioning flights on private jets can be great deals.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:18 am
  #8  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Posts: 19,555
Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
Just to add: I think the volume is a little lower than what you would normally have for a request for a new forum, but the problem is there is no forum that really is most appropriate for the discussion.
That's an important criterion.

Over the years I have seen at least two attempts at a subscription business with quasi-scheduled trips serving smaller airports (e.g. Santa Barbara) with high-performance propeller aircraft carrying 4 to 6 passengers. Those offerings also have no obvious home on FT.
nsx is offline  
Old Feb 18, 16, 3:23 pm
  #9  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,723
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
That's an important criterion.

Over the years I have seen at least two attempts at a subscription business with quasi-scheduled trips serving smaller airports (e.g. Santa Barbara) with high-performance propeller aircraft carrying 4 to 6 passengers. Those offerings also have no obvious home on FT.
I agree that that is an important criterion. The challenge that I have right now is that there is no clear home for the discussions, and so they are rather spread out throughout FlyerTalk. That being said, given the greater availability of private flights to the general public, and given that the FlyerTalk community is likely going to be consuming these products in greater numbers, it is worth investigating and at least monitoring.
oenophilist is offline  
Old Feb 18, 16, 4:55 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,715
Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
I think the most appropriate place for this is a general Private Jet category in "Miles and Points" under the "Airlines and Mileage Programs" section. Alternatively, it could be positioned under "Special Interest Travel" in the "Travel & Dining" forum.
I'd be against placing such a forum in the "Miles and Points" section as I don't believe private jet flights accrue either. If anything it's a "Special Interest" forum although am not convinced it's really needed. Just MHO.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 16, 9:03 pm
  #11  
Moderator, Hertz
Hyatt Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KRK / ORD
Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Posts: 12,360
It's an interesting thought. I wouldn't mind seeing a forum for private jets (or some subforum) for it. Lately I've been seeing ads for jetsmarter and other similar companies.
jason8612 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 16, 4:05 pm
  #12  
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 24,540
Although I am keeping an open mind about this growing trend towards the use of private jets for air transportation, I believe that the industry is still too nascent for it to warrant its own forum...

...however, I would consider combining private jet travel with air taxi services such as SeaPort Airlines, of which there are at least seven discussions — such as this one — peppered around FlyerTalk.

Those airlines offer travel without some of the hassles normally associated with commercial airlines — such as having to go through an airport security checkpoint and paying for parking as two examples.

Other airlines which could potentially belong to this growing category could also include Surf Air, ImagineAir, Southern Airways Express and JetSuite.

The combination of private jet transportation, air taxi services and other unconventional methods of traveling by air could reside in a forum called Alternate Air Travel or something similar to that...
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
I'd be against placing such a forum in the "Miles and Points" section as I don't believe private jet flights accrue either. If anything it's a "Special Interest" forum although am not convinced it's really needed. Just MHO.
...and I completely agree with this statement as to where this proposed forum would possibly be located on FlyerTalk.
Canarsie is offline  
Old Feb 21, 16, 6:57 am
  #13  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,723
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
Although I am keeping an open mind about this growing trend towards the use of private jets for air transportation, I believe that the industry is still too nascent for it to warrant its own forum...

...however, I would consider combining private jet travel with air taxi services such as SeaPort Airlines, of which there are at least seven discussions — such as this one — peppered around FlyerTalk.

Those airlines offer travel without some of the hassles normally associated with commercial airlines — such as having to go through an airport security checkpoint and paying for parking as two examples.

Other airlines which could potentially belong to this growing category could also include Surf Air, ImagineAir, Southern Airways Express and JetSuite.

The combination of private jet transportation, air taxi services and other unconventional methods of traveling by air could reside in a forum called Alternate Air Travel or something similar to that......and I completely agree with this statement as to where this proposed forum would possibly be located on FlyerTalk.
That sounds like an interesting proposition, and I believe it would satisfy the need. I had been trying to think of other potential topics that could be grouped together to gain critical mass. Those make sense.
oenophilist is offline  
Old Feb 21, 16, 8:13 am
  #14  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,509
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
Although I am keeping an open mind about this growing trend towards the use of private jets for air transportation, I believe that the industry is still too nascent for it to warrant its own forum...

...however, I would consider combining private jet travel with air taxi services such as SeaPort Airlines, of which there are at least seven discussions — such as this one — peppered around FlyerTalk.

Those airlines offer travel without some of the hassles normally associated with commercial airlines — such as having to go through an airport security checkpoint and paying for parking as two examples.

Other airlines which could potentially belong to this growing category could also include Surf Air, ImagineAir, Southern Airways Express and JetSuite.

The combination of private jet transportation, air taxi services and other unconventional methods of traveling by air could reside in a forum called Alternate Air Travel or something similar to that......and I completely agree with this statement as to where this proposed forum would possibly be located on FlyerTalk.
Other categories for consideration for inclusion might be charter discussions, catching rides on corporate aircraft (some people do), medevac, voluntary / charitable flying of patients to medical treatment and surgery (notably Angel Flight) and Angel Flight West, etc. Those private pilots among us might even be able to wangle a thread or two there.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 21, 16 at 9:29 am
JDiver is offline  
Old Feb 21, 16, 8:50 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,670
I could see the inclusion of helicopter services too, both excursion and as airport transportation (HKG and NRT for example, although I know it once was available for JFK and SFO but I suspect that those services might have ceased operation as I haven't heard about them recently).
MSPeconomist is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread