Avianca forum name

Old Feb 2, 16, 9:36 am
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Avianca forum name

Avianca is interesting in that it was previously two airlines (Avianca and Taca) sharing one frequent flyer programme (LifeMiles), now that Avianca and Taca are merged and that former Taca flights are marketed as Avianca, it is two airlines with the same name with two frequent flyer programmes.

Avianca Brasil offered status matches to its Amigo programme and plenty of us took up the offer. As such the Avianca proper forum is being used for questions for Avianca Brasil. Not that this is unreasonable.

Should the forum be renamed from Avianca and Taca | Lifemiles to Avianca | Lifemiles and Amigo?

Last edited by JohnnyColombia; Feb 2, 16 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 2, 16, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
At first glance this would make sense to me, but at the moment I have a *%#@! head cold w/ a fever & am going back to bed. I'll check in when I'm feeling better & see what other input has transpired re: the topic while I send up shares of Kleenex, cold medicine & cough drops by myself.

Cheers.
Old Feb 2, 16, 1:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP makes a sensible argument but I'd like to see whether there's further input as I don't know anything about these airlines or programs.
Old Feb 3, 16, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm in favor of it, whatever drives the appropriate traffic to the forum and makes it easier for users to find where they need to be.
Old Feb 3, 16, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I'm in favor of it, whatever drives the appropriate traffic to the forum and makes it easier for users to find where they need to be.
Same. In general, I think when program names change or are merged, we should be in alignment as best as possible without making forums disjointed or disorganized.
Old Feb 3, 16, 11:25 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by dchristiva View Post
Same. In general, I think when program names change or are merged, we should be in alignment as best as possible without making forums disjointed or disorganized.
Agree. Unless some opposition comes up (which seems unlikely), I support this.
Old Feb 3, 16, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

If anyone knows anything about Avianca and Taca, it is JohnnyColombia.

Count me in favor of the proposal.
Old Feb 5, 16, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
Avianca is interesting in that it was previously two airlines (Avianca and Taca) sharing one frequent flyer programme (LifeMiles), now that Avianca and Taca are merged and that former Taca flights are marketed as Avianca, it is two airlines with the same name with two frequent flyer programmes.

Avianca Brasil offered status matches to its Amigo programme and plenty of us took up the offer. As such the Avianca proper forum is being used for questions for Avianca Brasil. Not that this is unreasonable.

Should the forum be renamed from Avianca and Taca | Lifemiles to Avianca | Lifemiles and Amigo?

From my post in the private forum..

Currently the description below the title reads:

Avianca, TACA, Lacsa, Aerogal
Would we want to add updates here as well?
Old Feb 5, 16, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
From my post in the private forum..

Currently the description below the title reads:

Would we want to add updates here as well?
Hmmm that's a good question. I have a TACA Perú flight on 11th which is marketed as Avianca so far as I can see. I do not know whether LACSA flights are marketed as Avianca or the LACSA brand lives on. I have not seen an Aerogal plane for some time but that was a wholly owned subsidiary of Avianca

I don't know whether these last two brands live on.
Old Feb 5, 16, 9:03 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
I have not seen an Aerogal plane for some time but that was a wholly owned subsidiary of Avianca

I don't know whether these last two brands live on.
Aerogal comes up when I search for flights from Quito to Galapagos on United.com. "Operated by Aerogal"
Old Feb 5, 16, 9:12 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Aerogal comes up when I search for flights from Quito to Galapagos on United.com. "Operated by Aerogal"
Wikipedia says:

"Avianca Ecuador, formerly known as AeroGal, is an airline based in Quito, Ecuador." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avianca_Ecuador)

Of course, it said that three years ago when I flew on them and they were just starting the rebranding. Some things move slowly, I guess.

Wikipedia links a source:
http://www.ecuavisa.com/articulo/not...vianca-ecuador
Old Feb 5, 16, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Maybe the description can be updated to all of the above and Avianca Brasil too
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't there an official list of all currently operating airlines somewhere? Perhaps at least IATA posts a list of the official names of their members. I'd like something more authoritative on this than wikipedia.

.....and I think we should settle this definitively before changing the forum name and description so that we get it right and don't have to change it again.
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:47 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

.....and I think we should settle this definitively before changing the forum name and description so that we get it right and don't have to change it again.
Agree.
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Isn't there an official list of all currently operating airlines somewhere? Perhaps at least IATA posts a list of the official names of their members. I'd like something more authoritative on this than wikipedia.
Wikipedia did list a source, albeit in Spanish. There's always Google Translate, though.

As for an "official list," LMGTFY.

https://www.iata.org/about/members/P...line-list.aspx
http://www.iata.org/publications/Pages/code-search.aspx
https://www.iata.org/services/financ...mbers-list.pdf

(In one of those, Aerogal returns a link to Avianca.com.)

That doesn't mean much, though. Those sites list Horizon (QX), but no one who knows anything would argue that the AS forum description should include Horizon. Horizon is not an independent brand. Neither are SkyWest, Republic, Mesa, etc.--all included in that list.

I would be comfortable relying on the first-hand knowledge of those who regularly fly Avianca whether Aerogal is a separate brand worth including separately in the description.

Search this Thread