Wiki Posts
Search

Avianca forum name

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal

I would be comfortable relying on the first-hand knowledge of those who regularly fly Avianca whether Aerogal is a separate brand worth including separately in the description.
Well those are the ones I'm relying on to give us the definitive answer so we don't have to change it after we've changed it

Cheers.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:17 am
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Looks to me as if all of these AV subsidiaries are now operating notionally as Avianca [insert country name] with an AV IATA code/flight number but operated under the original AOC, e.g. AVXXXX flights in Ecuador are operated by Aerogal in the same way that for a time after the LAN takeover of Aires in Colombia, it was operated LAN Colombia operated by Aires.

Apart from that the operator under whichever jurisdiction they are operating, they are to all intents and purposes dead brands it seems. Unlike the LAN subsidiaries, they are not even code sharing, there is no Aerogal flight with a specifically Aerogal flight number. They all bear AV flight numbers.

Avianca Brasil is the anomaly because despite being called Avianca, their flights have an O6 IATA prefix and they have a separate FF programme, as was the point made in the OP
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
So would it help if we made the description Formerly AeroGal etc.?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CMK10
So would it help if we made the description Formerly AeroGal etc.?
Personally, I don't see why that would be necessary--for example, there's no need to put "Formerly Horizon" on the AS forum.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:16 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Members of TalkBoard are considering drafting a motion pertaining to the revision of the name and description of the forum in question; and are wondering if there is any further input which needs to be considered before doing so.

If you have any thoughts, please post them in this discussion. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the correct name of the program LifeMiles as in the current forum name or Lifemiles as it's written in the discussion here?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is the correct name of the program LifeMiles as in the current forum name or Lifemiles as it's written in the discussion here?
According to its official Internet web site, the correct name is LifeMiles.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good catch.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:43 pm
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
Good catch.
Yes indeed.

I see there is a Mod post in the Avianca forum and nobody has any thoughts on a potential name change
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Yes indeed.

I see there is a Mod post in the Avianca forum and nobody has any thoughts on a potential name change
My understanding is there were a couple of threads re: the name change (since deleted for the one by the mod) that had a lot of views, but no input in this thread. So my guess is we'll give it a couple more days just in case & then move forward.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Only use Avianca as the airline(s) name

At this point, every brand is marketed as Avianca only. Because that is the only way a person can buy the flight, the same example as LAN should apply, as @JohnnyColombia noted.

As to the "LifeMiles" vs "LifeMiles and Amigo" issue, I'm neutral, though one of the things I hoped would have happened by now under the more corporatized ownership of FT would be to throw away the "program names" part of the forum titles entirely, just going by the airline marketing brand.

Yes, heresy! But for the wider audience, people don't think first of the program name, they think of the airline. At least "normal" people do. I realize the heart of this site and its DNA is on Frequent Flyer programs, but honestly, people thing, "I'm in American's program", "I'm in Avianca's program", not "I'm in AAdvantage", "I'm in LifeMiles".

So if I had my "druthers", the name of the forum would simply be "Avianca".

Considering that the majority of posts overall on the "Airlines and Mileage Programs" section of FT, for years, seem to be about the airline in general, not specifically about the FF scheme, or at most equally about both, dumping the FF program names entirely from the forum titles would be a long-overdue simplification and rationalization of this site.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MarkXS
At this point, every brand is marketed as Avianca only. Because that is the only way a person can buy the flight, the same example as LAN should apply, as @JohnnyColombia noted.

As to the "LifeMiles" vs "LifeMiles and Amigo" issue, I'm neutral, though one of the things I hoped would have happened by now under the more corporatized ownership of FT would be to throw away the "program names" part of the forum titles entirely, just going by the airline marketing brand.

Yes, heresy! But for the wider audience, people don't think first of the program name, they think of the airline. At least "normal" people do. I realize the heart of this site and its DNA is on Frequent Flyer programs, but honestly, people thing, "I'm in American's program", "I'm in Avianca's program", not "I'm in AAdvantage", "I'm in LifeMiles".

Considering that the majority of posts overall on the "Airlines and Mileage Programs" section of FT, for years, seem to be about the airline in general, not specifically about the FF scheme, or at most equally about both, dumping the FF program names entirely from the forum titles would be a long-overdue simplification and rationalization of this site.
Personally, I disagree. The use of the FFP name is convenient, particularly given some are shared (e.g. BA and IB both use Avios, and can transfer, etc.) As well, using the FFP name also optimizes the thread for Google and other search engines (particularly if someone googles "How many AAdvantage miles..."). It wastes no resources, reduces confusion, and I honestly can't think of one reason to make that change.

Thank you for weighing in with your opinion.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by MarkXS

Well, we already did go through a simplification a couple of years ago where we moved from "Full name of mileage program" to the format of "Airline | program."

The discussion was held here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-programs.html

Since we are (still) a site that primarily talks about miles and points (and yes, general travel, but mostly miles and points), I disagree that it's time to drop the program names completely. The change has helped to give some focus to the companies (and thus the total travel experience) rather than solely the programs, but let's not lose sight of our strengths here on FlyerTalk.

As well, I'm unsure what you mean by "under the more corporatized ownership of FT." Internet Brands runs FlyerTalk with a pretty minimalistic, hands-off approach and more or less completely respects the decisions made by our Community Director, SanDiego1K, and she in turn more or less completely respects the suggestions made to her by the TalkBoard. So if you have a change to propose, you'd be best to make your case here and convince at least six of the nine of us who currently serve on TalkBoard of your idea.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jackal
Well, we already did go through a simplification a couple of years ago where we moved from "Full name of mileage program" to the format of "Airline | program."
For what it's worth, that format probably improves search rankings, which is an unalloyed benefit to FT.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Arrow

*****DRAFT MOTION*****

I move that TalkBoard recommend to the Community Director that the name of the Avianca and Taca | LifeMiles forum be changed to Avianca | LifeMilles and Amigo and that the description of the forum be changed to the following:

Avianca (LifeMiles Program) and Avianca Brasil (Amigo Program), including AeroGal, Lacsa, and TACA.

[These changes are not intended to alter the range of topics covered in this forum.]

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 1, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.