Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Further subdivision of Mileage Run Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Further subdivision of Mileage Run Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:13 am
formerly mattking2000
Original Poster

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Lightbulb Further subdivision of Mileage Run Forum?

On the main MR forum, there are a lot of threads (8 on the first page as of this post) that are wholly within the US. Would it make sense to separate these into a separate sub-forum, much like the Premium fare deals one?

Reasons for:
1. Domestic US MRs are favourable for some (no need to bring passport/get visas/etc., domestic upgrades, people need ESTA/visa to enter US)
2. Domestic US MRs are sometimes unwanted by others (security theatre, the "food" or lack thereof, wanting to combine vacations with MR runs, etc.)
3. Visual appeal--it's often difficult to navigate airport codes when there are several lines of seemingly only US airports. E.g., I completely missed PEK here the first two times I glanced over it, although CPH was easily visible:

4. The running potential/mileage amounts for domestic vs. international are generally at different scales: LAX-BOS for instance garners 2611 miles, whereas LAX-PEK is 6251. Yes, a LAX-BOS-ANC might yield similar results but I'd argue a nonstop is much less hassle than one with several changes (and several potentials for error).
5. Generally different running tactics. US loyalty programs are (for now) structured much differently than other loyalty programs around the world, and particular(ly creative) domestic routings that may yield good returns on US programs may not reflect so in other programs.

Reasons against:
1. People will have another forum to check!
2. ?

I'd really appreciate any feedback
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:09 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
This sounds like something better suited for the Talkboard to consider, I've alerted a mod to move it there for their consideration.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Indeed; thank you. It has been done.

/Moderator
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

...and we are ready to listen to feedback — either for or against — this proposal.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by mattking2000
On the main MR forum, there are a lot of threads (8 on the first page as of this post) that are wholly within the US. Would it make sense to separate these into a separate sub-forum, much like the Premium fare deals one?

Reasons for:
1. Domestic US MRs are favourable for some (no need to bring passport/get visas/etc., domestic upgrades, people need ESTA/visa to enter US)
2. Domestic US MRs are sometimes unwanted by others (security theatre, the "food" or lack thereof, wanting to combine vacations with MR runs, etc.)
3. Visual appeal--it's often difficult to navigate airport codes when there are several lines of seemingly only US airports. E.g., I completely missed PEK here the first two times I glanced over it, although CPH was easily visible:

4. The running potential/mileage amounts for domestic vs. international are generally at different scales: LAX-BOS for instance garners 2611 miles, whereas LAX-PEK is 6251. Yes, a LAX-BOS-ANC might yield similar results but I'd argue a nonstop is much less hassle than one with several changes (and several potentials for error).
5. Generally different running tactics. US loyalty programs are (for now) structured much differently than other loyalty programs around the world, and particular(ly creative) domestic routings that may yield good returns on US programs may not reflect so in other programs.

Reasons against:
1. People will have another forum to check!
2. ?

I'd really appreciate any feedback
There are more reasons that that against further subdivisions as all members but especially newer ones will not be sure where to post their query. More forums creates more confusion about where posts should be placed.

Also tying a domestic MR into an overseas journey would harder to spot if there were separate forums.

And it appears to tell international posters that their threads are cluttering the MR and don't deserve to be in the same forum which sends the wrong message to everyone who doesn't take or post wholly domestic U.S. MR's.

Sorry but I do not believe further dilution of the MR forum is either necessary or beneficial. Just MHO.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:57 pm

I agree with tcook052 that confusion may occur with additional sub-forums and that they are probably unneeded.

The next part of my comment may be more for Technical Support and Feedback than TalkBoard Topics. If more specific categorization is necessary in the MR forum, is there be a way to tag posts by region (e.g. "Asia", "Europe") for domestic or intercontinental MRs and international (e.g. "International" CDG-LHR-DFW) for international MRs? I see in the expert hotel reviews forum, there are "Review" tags. Would there be a way to incorporate these tags, and allow posters to select the most relevant tag when posting?

Review tag in Expert Hotel Reviews:
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think that even at the busiest of times the MR Forum isn't hard to wade through. As of now I'm not in favor of any further subdivisions.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can see the arguments for dividing MR into subfora MR--domestic USA only and MR--elsewhere where both would be subfora on the same "level" in the FT organizational chart. I'm guessing that Canada should be part of international here, but it's something to discuss.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I can see the arguments for dividing MR into subfora MR--domestic USA only and MR--elsewhere where both would be subfora on the same "level" in the FT organizational chart. I'm guessing that Canada should be part of international here, but it's something to discuss.
I'd rather see Canada get it's own sub-forum actually if we're creating and endless number of sub-forums.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:46 am
formerly mattking2000
Original Poster

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by lo2e
This sounds like something better suited for the Talkboard to consider, I've alerted a mod to move it there for their consideration.
D'oh! 3 years later and I still don't know where things go. Thanks Lo2e and JDiver for redirecting it to the proper place.

Originally Posted by tcook052
There are more reasons that that against further subdivisions as all members but especially newer ones will not be sure where to post their query. More forums creates more confusion about where posts should be placed.

Also tying a domestic MR into an overseas journey would harder to spot if there were separate forums.

And it appears to tell international posters that their threads are cluttering the MR and don't deserve to be in the same forum which sends the wrong message to everyone who doesn't take or post wholly domestic U.S. MR's.

Sorry but I do not believe further dilution of the MR forum is either necessary or beneficial. Just MHO.
(a) it'd be harder to spot yes, but wouldn't you also to know if you could potentially fit one in? Running takes time, and if they can fit in a domestic itinerary (especially ones that look like snakes ) it wouldn't be too much effort to go to the correct place for it.
(b) I was originally intending to push the domestic US ones into a subfora It's not that domestic US are worse/better than other ones, it's just a way of categorising them. Much like premium fare deals -- they aren't "better" or "worse" categorically speaking, just different to normal ones.

Originally Posted by scottpenderson
I agree with tcook052 that confusion may occur with additional sub-forums and that they are probably unneeded.

The next part of my comment may be more for Technical Support and Feedback than TalkBoard Topics. If more specific categorization is necessary in the MR forum, is there be a way to tag posts by region (e.g. "Asia", "Europe") for domestic or intercontinental MRs and international (e.g. "International" CDG-LHR-DFW) for international MRs? I see in the expert hotel reviews forum, there are "Review" tags. Would there be a way to incorporate these tags, and allow posters to select the most relevant tag when posting?

Review tag in Expert Hotel Reviews:
I like this suggestion a lot, and didn't know it existed outside of just "wiki". ^^ I would very much settle/support this idea if my idea continues to crash and burn

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by tcook052
I'd rather see Canada get it's own sub-forum actually if we're creating and endless number of sub-forums.
As a Canadian, I'd love to see it too, although I'd argue it'd be more useful under Milesbuzz. MRs to/from/containing Canada are relatively few and far between (unless the CAD$ keeps tanking at the rate it's going). For the vast majority of people who can do a domestic US MR, they usually have barrier-free access to Canada as well, not to mention increasingly similar revenue-based programs.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by mattking2000
D'oh! 3 years later and I still don't know where things go.
Yes with so many forums it's hard to tell sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.