FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Election of TalkBoard Leaders 2015-2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1728875-election-talkboard-leaders-2015-2016-a.html)

CMK10 Dec 3, 2015 1:45 pm

Election of TalkBoard Leaders 2015-2016

Elections have just concluded for TalkBoard leaders for the 2015-16 year. The nine TalkBoard members voted by secret ballot.

Canarsie was elected as TalkBoard President by a vote of 5 in favor and 3 against.

CMK10 was elected as TalkBoard Vice President by a vote of 5 in favor and 4 against

Canarise ran against Jackal in a runoff election. In the first round of voting the candidates were Canarsie, Jackal, dchristiva and MSPeconomist. In the first round of voting, Canarsie received four votes, Jackal 3 and the other two candidates 1 each

CMK10 ran against rwoman in a runoff election. In the first round of voting the candidates were CMK10, rwoman and jason8612. CMK10 and rwoman received four votes each and jason8612 received one.

tcook052 Dec 3, 2015 1:49 pm

Congratulations to the new TB brass. ^

kokonutz Dec 3, 2015 6:23 pm

Meet the new boss. Different from the old boss....

Dah Dah Dah DDDAAAAAHHHHHH

StartinSanDiego Dec 3, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks to all of you who donate your time to FT and Talkboard.

Eastbay1K Dec 4, 2015 11:30 am

As a very long time FT member, and one of the very few who actually voted for TB, I would like the TB member who did not vote in the final round for President to speak up.

CMK10 Dec 4, 2015 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 25813613)
As a very long time FT member, and one of the very few who actually voted for TB, I would like the TB member who did not vote in the final round for President to speak up.

In their defense the poll was erroneously created without an Abstain button

Eastbay1K Dec 4, 2015 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 25813623)
In their defense the poll was erroneously created without an Abstain button

In his/her "defense" I would like to know who abstained, and why. It serves to assist the general membership in transparency and also, whether we may or may not wish to support a future candidacy of someone who abstains in election of a president. So, I hope the person who abstained speaks up.

SkiAdcock Dec 4, 2015 2:09 pm

Prez & VP votes are private polls. My understanding is that even IB doesn't know who voted yes/no/abstain on private polls. The person who abstained (or would have if that had been an option) can post if s/he likes re: his/her reasoning, but certainly isn't required to do so. We've had abstain and no votes on prior prez/vp elections as well IIRC.

My congrats to canarsie & CMK, and thanks for the other candidates who were willing to serve as officers of TB as well as being TB members.

Cheers.

kokonutz Dec 4, 2015 3:41 pm

Firstly, in the interest of transparency it'd be nice if the latest version of the TB Guidelines were published in the public as well as the private TB Topics forum.

Fortunately I just happened to have downloaded a copy a couple weeks ago :):

ii. TalkBoard Officers
a. The TalkBoard shall elect a President to serve a one year term no later than 4 weeks after the general election.
b. Any voting member of the TalkBoard with access to the private TalkBoard forum may run in the presidential election.
c. The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering more than 2/3 of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than 2 candidates in the primary vote and none receive 2/3 of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect.
d. Once the new President is elected the TalkBoard shall elect a Vice President/Secretary to serve a one year term. Elections shall be conducted in an identical manner to the presidential election and shall be completed within 2 weeks of the election of the President.
e. Elections of the President and Vice President/Secretary shall be held by secret ballot.
f. Once both officers have been elected the Vice President/Secretary shall post a thread in both the public TalkBoard Topics forum as well as the Town Hall forum noting the election of the new officers.
So it seems that the guidelines are silent on 'abstain' or non-vote in the leadership elections. Which I suppose makes them neither right nor wrong. My guess is that one of the first-round losers refused to vote in the second round. But we'll never know for sure because of section e.: e. Elections of the President and Vice President/Secretary shall be held by secret ballot.

That all said, though, it's far too quick for the voting to be over if the voting ended by timing out, so there must have been discussion around the lack of an 'abstain' button (not sure one is required or not given the actual guidelines around the elections) so the rest of the TB members know who the non-voter is. But the guidelines say they can't reveal that. Only the abstainer can.

Will he or she?

Will I be correct that it was one of the losers from the first round?

Ooooooh, I do love TB political dramas!

dchristiva Dec 4, 2015 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 25814335)
In his/her "defense" I would like to know who abstained, and why. It serves to assist the general membership in transparency and also, whether we may or may not wish to support a future candidacy of someone who abstains in election of a president. So, I hope the person who abstained speaks up.

Here you go. What's your issue?

kokonutz Dec 4, 2015 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva (Post 25815012)

DAMMIT!

Don't you know how to milk a juicy political drama!!?!?!?

You need to spend some time in ShondaTown!

You don't get to the reveal until the mid season finale of season two. Season TWO!

Do you know what happens when the plot moves too fast? Revenge. That's what. Re-freaking-venge.

Eastbay1K Dec 4, 2015 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva (Post 25815012)

Let's see - (1) Plays well with others. (2) Thoughts that there must be two evils and even the lesser of the two isn't worthy. (3) The thought initially crossed my mind that since it was probably who didn't win in round one, that no one else was worthy of winning. Shall I go on?

This is just an "outsider's" thoughts - I've never been on TB, never had any desire to be on same, but have been affected over the years by its actions or lack thereof.

After reviewing who ran, this humble 16+ year FT member can only say that he thinks that both finalists are quite worthy, both bring a lot to FT, and even though I may or may not agree with everything they stand for, find it difficult to believe that neither is worthy of a vote by anyone on the TB.

Mazel tov to the winners! Or is that "Be careful what you wish for!" :D

dchristiva Dec 4, 2015 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 25815332)
Let's see - (1) Plays well with others. (2) Thoughts that there must be two evils and even the lesser of the two isn't worthy. (3) The thought initially crossed my mind that since it was probably who didn't win in round one, that no one else was worthy of winning. Shall I go on?

This is just an "outsider's" thoughts - I've never been on TB, never had any desire to be on same, but have been affected over the years by its actions or lack thereof.

After reviewing who ran, this humble 16+ year FT member can only say that he thinks that both finalists are quite worthy, both bring a lot to FT, and even though I may or may not agree with everything they stand for, find it difficult to believe that neither is worthy of a vote by anyone on the TB.

Mazel tov to the winners! Or is that "Be careful what you wish for!" :D

I disclosed the exact opposite sentiment to TB when I said I was unable to vote for either finalist. Fully transparent. There was no "abstain" option. Not that I wanted it.

I stuck by my principles. Sorry to hear that you would rather I vote for "the lesser of two evils" or whatever you want to call it.

dchristiva Dec 4, 2015 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 25815322)
DAMMIT!

Don't you know how to milk a juicy political drama!!?!?!?

You need to spend some time in ShondaTown!

You don't get to the reveal until the mid season finale of season two. Season TWO!

Do you know what happens when the plot moves too fast? Revenge. That's what. Re-freaking-venge.

Ha ha. Yeah, I stink at suspense. :D

Eastbay1K Dec 4, 2015 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva (Post 25815536)
I disclosed the exact opposite sentiment to TB when I said I was unable to vote for either finalist. Fully transparent. There was no "abstain" option. Not that I wanted it.

I stuck by my principles. Sorry to hear that you would rather I vote for "the lesser of two evils" or whatever you want to call it.

Thank you for your candor. My questions have been answered.