Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

I voted today. But I didn't get a badge...

Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry

Does this mean my vote didn't get logged?

Or do we not need no stinking badges?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:56 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Flyertall
Does this mean my vote didn't get logged?

Or do we not need no stinking badges?
I've let IB know that the badges failed to turn on. I hope that it happens soon. I think it's really helpful to remind others to vote.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I voted yesterday and also noticed no badge. I thought perhaps they wouldn't be used any longer.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I think it's really helpful to remind others to vote.
It also serves to discourage people from voting who prefer to remain low profile. The badges should be optional (like the custom titles) and not mandatory.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by B747-437B
The badges should be optional (like the custom titles) and not mandatory.
As previously discussed/addressed in Technical Issues Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ed-avatar.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...who-voted.html

Having said that, not sure what technical improvement IB has in store for TB 2015 Election though.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I also voted yesterday and my "I Voted" badge hasn't been added yet. However, when I tried to vote again as a check, I got the message that I had already voted and no ballot with boxes to check appeared. So I feel confident that my vote was properly recorded.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
The badge doesn't say WHO was voted for. It simply says the member voted.

SanDiego1K is right. If it were not for the badges that I saw under people's usernames when I first joined FT, people who were taking time out of their day to answer questions (that they likely have already answered 100 times before) when I needed a little advice, I would not have voted.

But when I first saw the badge under the user names of people I came to respect, I instantly got it. I instantly realized that a forum with over 25 MILLION moderated and organized posts doesn't happen by magic. It happens by the participation of people who care.

If a member wanted to remain so low profile that they didn't want to participate in the forum, then they already have that option.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
It also serves to discourage people from voting who prefer to remain low profile. The badges should be optional (like the custom titles) and not mandatory.
Seriously? A badge is gonna stop you from voting? We're a community. Come out and let your voice be heard. The badge doesn't indicate who you voted for. Just that you took an action and helped make FT better.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Seriously? A badge is gonna stop you from voting? We're a community. Come out and let your voice be heard. The badge doesn't indicate who you voted for. Just that you took an action and helped make FT better.
O rly?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:44 am

Sme thing happened to me when I voted... Strange.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Hmm, when I was new around here, it was the "I voted" badges that alerted me to the fact that TB even existed.

It's not like voting for TB candidates is something to ashamed of, is it?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Flyertall
The badge doesn't say WHO was voted for. It simply says the member voted.

SanDiego1K is right. If it were not for the badges that I saw under people's usernames when I first joined FT, people who were taking time out of their day to answer questions (that they likely have already answered 100 times before) when I needed a little advice, I would not have voted.

But when I first saw the badge under the user names of people I came to respect, I instantly got it. I instantly realized that a forum with over 25 MILLION moderated and organized posts doesn't happen by magic. It happens by the participation of people who care.
Agree.

Originally Posted by Patsnation
Sme thing happened to me when I voted... Strange.
sandiego1k explained it above. IB was supposed to turn on the I Voted avatar but forgot. Since it's a weekend the earliest it will be turned on will be tomorrow when they get into the office California time - at which point you might see lots of I Voted avatars.

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Hmm, when I was new around here, it was the "I voted" badges that alerted me to the fact that TB even existed.

Agree.

Cheers. Sharon

Last edited by Moderator2; Nov 15, 2015 at 4:40 pm Reason: Removed now deleted quote
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Whether it is or not is something that the voter should decide, not someone else unilaterally.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Agree with others...the badge serves as a reminder to some that it's election time and to go vote.

It's pretty innocuous IMO.

Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:56 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I thought it was now optional? The last post in the thread some have linked to states that it can be turned off.

If you go to the avatar page for your account, there is an option button for "Do not use an Avatar". Does that not turn off the all avatars or does the "I vote" still show through?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.