Voting Ended / Motion Passed: creation of Copa | ConnectMiles forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: creation of Copa | ConnectMiles forum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if this would have been an ideal time to use this procedure:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...t-process.html
That doesn't apply as no amendment to the motion was needed. The problem was that we weren't voting on the motion as stated and seconded.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That doesn't apply as no amendment to the motion was needed. The problem was that we weren't voting on the motion as stated and seconded.
And you really thought the correct solution was to wait until literally the last day to abstain? That is unfathomable.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
And you really thought the correct solution was to wait until literally the last day to abstain? That is unfathomable.
I was hoping that the statement of what we were voting on would have been (immediately or at least eventually) fixed, as I pointed out right after the vote was posted. In that case, I wouldn't have needed to mention the discrepancy in the public TBT forum.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was hoping that the statement of what we were voting on would have been (immediately or at least eventually) fixed, as I pointed out right after the vote was posted. In that case, I wouldn't have needed to mention the discrepancy in the public TBT forum.
What a silly response, especially from someone who has served on TB for 3 years.

Once a motion is up for vote, you vote on what the motion is - not some vague gee, I brought this up 30 minutes after the vote & hoped it would get fixed sometime in the next 13 days. You vote on what's up for voting or you formally declare that you think it needs to be changed, and that includes in the public forum.

Us regular FTers don't have access to the private forum, but we certainly have access to the public forum - and at zero point since the motion was announced did you indicate you had problems w/ this motion in the public forum, so please excuse us regular FTers for not totally buying into your lame excuse at this point for dragging out a vote that had 100% support, for a simple semantics issue that anyone over the age of 5 would have realized was not an issue.

I'm not going to get into a big pissing war on this one w/ you & probably won't post again on the issue because I think it's evident to anyone reading the thread that there wasn't a valid reason for you to wait 13 days to vote, much less abstain on something that had 100% support from FTers. To do it on a technicality quite frankly reflects badly on you IMO.

So the bad news is that this forum had to wait longer than it needed to be to get created & you lost respect (not only from me but also from others based on my PMs, emails & phone calls). However, the good news is that the forum did get a firm Yes vote & will be created & should be an asset to FT - which ultimately is what this is all about - what's best for FT.

IMO TB did what was best for FT in spite of you.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Nov 3, 2015 at 5:35 pm
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I have come to the conclusion that we are just feeding a person who thrives on this kind of attention. All we can do is wait for that person's term to end and then cast our ballots with eyes wide open if she runs for TB again.

Sad. Very sad.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So, the descructive pattern of this years TB continues. Every TB topic just has to end with a game of he said-she said and some whitewashing and bashing of actions. So utterly tiresome. In my view, it reflects poorly on a lot of people. Is it a board or a kindergarten?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by intuition
So, the descructive pattern of this years TB continues. Every TB topic just has to end with a game of he said-she said and some whitewashing and bashing of actions. So utterly tiresome. In my view, it reflects poorly on a lot of people. Is it a board or a kindergarten?
The same person causes the same issue over and over. It's one "action", not many. I think membership should know what's happening so it can cast ballots in an effective way, especially with the upcoming election. As I cast my ballot, I will want to know someone's viewpoint on the voting procedure.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The motion passed. The TalkBoard now has a mechanism to deal with voters who delay their votes for any reason -- the result is announced once mathematically decided. I see no reason why the forum can't be created THEN. Can anyone else?

I see no reason to wallow in the mud over a vote that was 8-0-1 versus 9-0. Anything above 6 is just showing off.

I smell a bit of electioneering in this thread as well, which doesn't surprise me, but really reflects poorly on the person doing it, especially when it's a current TB member doing it.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:18 am

Yes, we need more people to apply for election to talk board this year. There are five open seats. If you click on the link in the announcement and then click on the link at the very bottom of the page, on the left half, you can see exactly who has declared candidacy so far.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RichMSN
The motion passed. The TalkBoard now has a mechanism to deal with voters who delay their votes for any reason -- the result is announced once mathematically decided. I see no reason why the forum can't be created THEN. Can anyone else?

I see no reason to wallow in the mud over a vote that was 8-0-1 versus 9-0. Anything above 6 is just showing off.

I smell a bit of electioneering in this thread as well, which doesn't surprise me, but really reflects poorly on the person doing it, especially when it's a current TB member doing it.
We're discussing a solution to the problem which, if implemented, will be very similar to what you're talking about in your first paragraph.

Also, if the electioneering comment is directed at me, my complaints are in no way tied to me running for reelection. Furthermore, you can see that I have raised this issue many times before long before election. Most likely I'm doing myself far more harm than good by bringing it up again and again but I'm not the sit quietly when I see something I disagree with type.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by dchristiva
The same person causes the same issue over and over. It's one "action", not many. I think membership should know what's happening so it can cast ballots in an effective way, especially with the upcoming election. As I cast my ballot, I will want to know someone's viewpoint on the voting procedure.
While it is true in general that membership ought to know 'what is happening', I think it is pretty clear since way back that there are a lot going on behind the scenes with this TB. Do we need this public in every TB topic?

As I cast my ballot, I'd like to know which candidates can handle being on a board with diverse opinions, with people of opposite mindset and modus operandi. In my view, TB ought to be much more diverse than it is right now. That is why I'd like to see TB'ers who can handle what they feel is a setbacks without making big fuzzes.
Others might like TB to consist of 9 duplicates, so decisions are swift and y'all can go for coffee later.

I this case there was a direct question regarding the abstained vote, and there was a rationale presented. I can't see why it couldn't have ended there. We can all decide for ourself how we feel about that rationale, and there really is no need for other TB members and candidates to make long speeches about it.

Yes, we need more people to apply for election to talk board this year.
I agree, but that is just the problem. The public bickering where (almost) all TB members participate isn't making TB more attractive. And so we have the same people running for TB over and over again, and fewer and fewer members casting their ballot.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

As I cast my ballot, I'd like to know which candidates can handle being on a board with diverse opinions, with people of opposite mindset and modus operandi.
I am not running for being elected to TalkBoard this year; but I would like to think that my experience has met your expectations.
In my view, TB ought to be much more diverse than it is right now. That is why I'd like to see TB'ers who can handle what they feel is a setbacks without making big fuzzes.
Others might like TB to consist of 9 duplicates, so decisions are swift and y'all can go for coffee later.
The election for members of TalkBoard is decided amongst the voting by members of FlyerTalk.

If there is a candidate whom you believe you would like to see as a member of TalkBoard, then by all means please spread the word to other members of FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure who you're referencing. If me, I'm simply recommending that voters understand what they are getting in each candidate, particularly with respect to how that candidate views the voting responsibility.

And I won't stop promoting transparency. Yes, I think everything done by TB ought to be public. I've said that in the public forum and the private forum (which I'd like to see disbanded).
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
...I'm not the sit quietly when I see something I disagree with type.
[Emphasis added]

That's admirable, but when it's someone you disagree with I think it would be better to lead by example than through public criticism or confrontation.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Off-topic to Copa:

Up until now the unofficial policy has been that the CD waits for the final vote, even if it's been decided several days before then by TB members voting that the motion will pass/forum be created.

I think this new motion (see below) being voted on is to help address that, so that if it's got the requisite 6 votes it doesn't matter if a TB member (any TB member) drags it out to the 14th day.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...uidelines.html

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.