Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Talkboard Guidelines on Private Forum?

Talkboard Guidelines on Private Forum?

 

Old Jul 9, 15, 6:25 pm
  #46  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, just another shafted United Club Lifetime Member, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,387
For what it's worth I've been attempting to use the public forum for everything this year unless there's a good reason not to. Other TB members have been good about this too.

Among other reasons for a pricate forum Carol needs a convenient way to give TalkBoard a heads up on pending developments. PMs are not nearly as useful as a reference and focus for discussion.
nsx is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 6:30 pm
  #47  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,286
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I understand that there's a record somewhere, but my point is that the record cannot be seen by FT members who are not moderators. Moderators can change or delete posts and not have those actions be visible to someone who isn't a moderator
That's not true at all as a post modification made by a moderator is recorded as in this post where I combined a number of separate posts into one for readability. Note at the bottom it shows the time stamp and a field where we can note the reason for the edit.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 6:41 pm
  #48  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,356
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
That's not true at all as a post modification made by a moderator is recorded as in this post where I combined a number of separate posts into one for readability. Note at the bottom it shows the time stamp and a field where we can note the reason for the edit.
My understanding is that whether the altered post shows this information depends on how the moderator makes the changes. In any event, a moderator can delete posts without any trace being visible to those who are not moderators.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 6:44 pm
  #49  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,286
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
My understanding is that whether the altered post shows this information depends on how the moderator makes the changes.
Your understanding is incorrect.

In any event, a moderator can delete posts without any trace being visible to those who are not moderators.
Editing and deleting are very different things, MSP.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 7:20 pm
  #50  
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 13,679
In any event, JDiver, back on page 1, asked why anyone would ever believe that moderators would be motivated to distort TalkBoard history in the ways that MSP suggests may be possible -- whether or not they really are possible. This is conspiracy-theory territory. I'd rather not go there.

Bruce
bdschobel is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 7:33 pm
  #51  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,229
Let me weigh in. We will continue to have a private Talkboard forum. We will continue to have a public Talkboard forum. We need a private forum for voting if for nothing else. And I would never violate the privacy of folks who posted expecting privacy by making those posts public.

Talkboard members can choose to make their views public by posting here. But they also have the right to discuss issues and draft measure privately without the few who read this forum scrutinizing their every word.

We might not have to worry about having a Talkboard in the future if we make it too unpleasant for members to serve who only want what is best for FlyerTalk.

Carol
Community Director
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 7:35 pm
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/FAY)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,057
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I understand that there's a record somewhere, but my point is that the record cannot be seen by FT members who are not moderators. Moderators can change or delete posts and not have those actions be visible to someone who isn't a moderator, while if a FT member who is not a moderator attempts to change a post after about ten minutes, there will be a notation that the post was (last) edited at a certain date and time, with an optional reason given. Similarly, a moderator can delete posts by himself or others and again, anyone who is not a moderator cannot see that anything was done. Someone who is not a moderator can at best substitute the word "deleted" for a post, but the ghost of that post AFAIK remains unless it's removed by a moderator and again, once the moderator deletes it, nothing to indicate that there ever was such a post is visible to anyone who is not a moderator.
Do you really think FT Moderators are going to devote their time to deleting posts en masse from the TB Private forum?

I think you've been watching The Lives of Others too much...
CMK10 is offline  
Old Jul 9, 15, 7:43 pm
  #53  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 47,939
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Let me weigh in. We will continue to have a private Talkboard forum. We will continue to have a public Talkboard forum. We need a private forum for voting if for nothing else. And I would never violate the privacy of folks who posted expecting privacy by making those posts public.

Talkboard members can choose to make their views public by posting here. But they also have the right to discuss issues and draft measure privately without the few who read this forum scrutinizing their every word.

We might not have to worry about having a Talkboard in the future if we make it too unpleasant for members to serve who only want what is best for FlyerTalk.

Carol
Community Director
Yeah, I figured you'd shut this down at some point as you (and Randy before you) have done in the past.

So let it be written. So let it be done.
kokonutz is offline  
Old Jul 10, 15, 3:32 am
  #54  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,356
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Do you really think FT Moderators are going to devote their time to deleting posts en masse from the TB Private forum?

I think you've been watching The Lives of Others too much...
Not "devote" his time and not "en masse" but some cleanup attempt to delete particularly nasty recent posts before opening the private TB forum would not be inconceivable. It's moot now as this isn't going to happen, but if the private TB forum were to become public, I would want the complete accurate historical version to become available rather than some revised "sanitized" version in which certain posts were deleted without a trace.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 10, 15, 9:18 am
  #55  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,728
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Not "devote" his time and not "en masse" but some cleanup attempt to delete particularly nasty recent posts before opening the private TB forum would not be inconceivable. It's moot now as this isn't going to happen, but if the private TB forum were to become public, I would want the complete accurate historical version to become available rather than some revised "sanitized" version in which certain posts were deleted without a trace.
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Just as a point of information, moderators can not do that - every edit of every post is recorded and visible to moderators (and Community Director, Admin), so much as a wiki shows edits, so do posts. There is always evidence of edits / redactions / soft deletions. (We won't inquire just why a moderator would wish to do this?)

<snip>

/Moderator JDiver
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Nope. And the suggestion that moderators might rewrite history for some reason, leaving no trace (impossible), is entering the twilight zone.

Bruce
JDiver is offline  
Old Jul 10, 15, 9:35 am
  #56  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 66,007
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
In any event, JDiver, back on page 1, asked why anyone would ever believe that moderators would be motivated to distort TalkBoard history in the ways that MSP suggests may be possible -- whether or not they really are possible. This is conspiracy-theory territory. I'd rather not go there.

Bruce
Agree.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Let me weigh in. We will continue to have a private Talkboard forum. We will continue to have a public Talkboard forum. We need a private forum for voting if for nothing else. And I would never violate the privacy of folks who posted expecting privacy by making those posts public.

Talkboard members can choose to make their views public by posting here. But they also have the right to discuss issues and draft measure privately without the few who read this forum scrutinizing their every word.

We might not have to worry about having a Talkboard in the future if we make it too unpleasant for members to serve who only want what is best for FlyerTalk.

Carol
Community Director
Thanks for weighing in and agree.

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Yeah, I figured you'd shut this down at some point as you (and Randy before you) have done in the past.

So let it be written. So let it be done.
Amen.
SkiAdcock is online now  
Old Jul 11, 15, 5:13 pm
  #57  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 87,264
I don't see why the "private" TB forum deliberations shouldn't be opened up for all FTers to review how TB functions. Rather, there are good reasons for it to be made a read-only forum available for review by all FT members eligible to vote for candidates to TalkBoard. That said, this issue currently
seems finished.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 12, 15, 12:12 am
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,172
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Yeah, I figured you'd shut this down at some point as you (and Randy before you) have done in the past.

So let it be written. So let it be done.
And so it was good (or not).

Amen
Eastbay1K is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread