Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

New forum proposal for South African Airways | Voyager

New forum proposal for South African Airways | Voyager

Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:18 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I'm with jsnydcsa on this, there is a lot of cross-over between the Africa forum and the Africa/ME airlines forum, and I actually think that rather than splitting SAA out from the airlines, it might be more worthwhile to split SA out from Africa - without looking, I would think that at least 50% of all the posts in that forum are about SA.
...so are you suggesting the creation of an Airlines of South Africa forum?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:47 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Sorry, that was very poorly worded. I was actually suggesting not making any changes to the Other African and Middle Eastern Airlines forum, but instead creating a 'South Africa' sub-forum in the Africa Destination forum (similar to France as a sub-forum in Europe, for instance).

I don't think that SAA questions dominate the airline forum, but SA questions certainly dominate the Africa forum...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I recently was looking for information on SAA and was quite surprised to find the information buried with Middle Eastern And African airlines.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I'm with jsnydcsa on this, there is a lot of cross-over between the Africa forum and the Africa/ME airlines forum, and I actually think that rather than splitting SAA out from the airlines, it might be more worthwhile to split SA out from Africa - without looking, I would think that at least 50% of all the posts in that forum are about SA.
That is probably close to the truth of the Africa forum so a case could be made for having a South African sub-forum. But I guess that isn't what is being discussed here.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I just checked the last 50 posts in the Africa an ME airlines forum and less than 20% related to South African airlines specifically. So not really supporting the case for that.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would you envision something like the wonderful China destination forum, which includes information on Chinese airlines?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:29 am

Perhaps I wasn't as clear in my earlier post. I think the problem of cross-posting (not literally cross-posting) or crossover goes both ways between the "Africa" and in the "Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines" fora. I can't say I see a rhyme or reason to why it happens. You'll see something about "Thinking about flying to South Africa with miles ...." - which to me would be an airline question but it's actually posted in the Africa forum. Or, you'll see "Where to get a rental cell phone on arrival in at JNB airport" in the "Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines" forum. I'm not saying those are exact examples. But, you get the picture (I hope).

Frankly, while I'm open to the idea of another forum and would vote yes for it, I'd just add it to my list of favorites that I check often. Both "Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines" and "Africa" are on my MyFlyertalk Subscribed fora and I check them both just about every couple of days. And, I'll admit I'm guilty of putting something about something in one forum or the other based solely on what I think is the better one and often post an answer or information to someone else's post that veers into the territory of the other forum.

Admittedly, there are dedicated SAA fliers out there who would follow the new thread for all the in's and out's of Voyager or SAA's comings/goings, whims/caprices and trials/tribulations. But, I suspect that many folks consider South Africa, SAA and sub-Saharan Africa to be such a far-off place that they frankly don't know where to post something. Just look at the number of posts about "what to do ...." "Is 'Africa' safe..." or "Please help me with my proposed itinerary..." threads and you get the picture. I don't think they'd necessarily be "driven" to an SAA only forum for SAA-related or even South Africa-related questions (in part, b/c they're not a member of Voyager). A new forum for these hard-core Voyager folks would be nice. But, I suspect that traffic to that forum will be low while traffic in the nature of "Help with..." or "Arriving into JNB...." threads will remain high in the Africa and Other ME Africa Airlines fora.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:03 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would you envision something like the wonderful China destination forum, which includes information on Chinese airlines?
I'm not sure what I'm envisioning - just not sure that splitting out SAA from the 'other Africa and ME airlines' forum is a worthwhile exercise.

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
I think the problem of cross-posting (not literally cross-posting) or crossover goes both ways between the "Africa" and in the "Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines" fora.
Both "Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines" and "Africa" are on my MyFlyertalk Subscribed fora and I check them both just about every couple of days.
But, I suspect that many folks consider South Africa, SAA and sub-Saharan Africa to be such a far-off place that they frankly don't know where to post something.
A new forum for these hard-core Voyager folks would be nice. But, I suspect that traffic to that forum will be low while traffic in the nature of "Help with..." or "Arriving into JNB...." threads will remain high in the Africa and Other ME Africa Airlines fora.
what he said (x4).
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are there other airlines of South Africa? Would Airlines of South Africa make sense as a forum?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are there other airlines of South Africa? Would Airlines of South Africa make sense as a forum?
There's BA/Comair, Kulula, Mango - the latter two are low cost carriers of BA/Comair and SAA. Plus, there's others that specialize in flights between game reserves (I've never used/followed them so I don't know).

I think though that you're still getting the same issue. Are we focusing on a particular airline's or airlines' flights, FF program and other things (in flight entertainment, changes in schedules, meal options, etc.)? If that's the case, then so be it. But, you're still going to get folks who do the "flying into .... on [SA carrier] question." What do they do, for example in the DL forum if somebody writes a question about "flying into ATL on DL, need a good car service..." question. It's got nothing to do with DL, sure. But, give the huge number of DL fliers in and out of ATL, I'd think it'd be a worthwhile question to ask in the highly-visited DL forum rather than the lesser-visited ATL forum (if there is one, and I'm not dissing ATL, I love visiting the airport and the city).
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:05 am

A lot of information about hub airports, airport hotels, etc. naturally does appear in the associated airline fora.

The marvelous China destination forum is a bit of an exception in that some information about flying mainland Chinese airlines appears there as well as information about Chinese airports, public transportation/taxi/uber to/from airports, etc.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:08 pm

I believe the interests of Flyertalk users will best be served by a separate SAA forum. I think ease of use of this website is more important than how many specific topics are discussed each year. SAA has a significant presence in the aviation world and is not by any means a minor player. So, my "vote" is YES.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by EmileG
I believe the interests of Flyertalk users will best be served by a separate SAA forum. I think ease of use of this website is more important than how many specific topics are discussed each year. SAA has a significant presence in the aviation world and is not by any means a minor player. So, my "vote" is YES.
I agree. It is time for a separate SAA Forum.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I agree. It is time for a separate SAA Forum.
+1

Originally Posted by EmileG
+1

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
That is probably close to the truth of the Africa forum so a case could be made for having a South African sub-forum. But I guess that isn't what is being discussed here.

I just checked the last 50 posts in the Africa an ME airlines forum and less than 20% related to South African airlines specifically. So not really supporting the case for that.
Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

If 20% of Africa and Middle Eastern forum is related to SAA, and there are 54 countries in Africa and 17 in the middle east, isn't that an argument to have a separate forum?

When SAA is buried in Africa and Middle East forum, it makes the forum inconsistent and stuff difficult to find. It also demotivates enthusiasts.

The traffic will come when the forum is established. It doesn't cost anything to open a new forum. I think we should go ahead, set up the SAA forum, try it for 6 months and move the historical stuff into the SAA forum. And re-assess.

My vote is yes
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by cooleddie
If 20% of Africa and Middle Eastern forum is related to SAA, and there are 54 countries in Africa and 17 in the middle east, isn't that an argument to have a separate forum?
Nice try. But your argument is sophistic (and I am sure was intended to be tongue in cheek). But just for clarity...

I didn't say 20% related to SAA; I said 20% related to South African airlines.

Secondly, the number of countries is a complete red herring. The relevant comparison should be with the number of airlines in Africa and the Middle East - and limited to only those which do not currently have their own forums.

But I agree on the point that there is no harm in trying a separate SA forum. It's the only way we will know for sure if it will generate its own momentum.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I am definitely willing to consider voting on launching a proprietary forum for South African Airways | Voyager; but even in this discussion, the demand for it does not seem to be too great at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.