Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

New forum proposal for South African Airways | Voyager

New forum proposal for South African Airways | Voyager

Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by cooleddie
I still prefer my suggestion:

South African based airlines and mileage programs
South African Airways (SAA) | Voyager | British Airways (Comair) | Mango | Kulula | Safair | SA Airlink | Skywise Airlines | South African Express
Yes. And assume SA Express falls within SAA grouping? Also, isn't Safair known to the public as FlySafair?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I still prefer my suggestion:

South African Airways (SAA) | Voyager | British Airways (Comair) | Mango | Kulula | Safair | SA Airlink | Skywise Airlines | South African Express

Easy to find on the index page under "S" on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...-programs-374/

Also to follow the same naming convention as "Russian based airlines". Should include "and mileage programs" to include things like the Star Alliance Voyager program and Kulula's credit card, etc.
This introduces another variant of the forum naming conventions. It doesn't seem right to separate the airline names with a |. That is only used between an airline and its FFP everywhere else. So at the risk of pedantry but in the interests of consistency surely it should be:

South African Airways (SAA) | Voyager, British Airways (Comair), Mango, Kulula, Safair, SA Airlink, Skywise Airlines, South African Express
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:53 am

How do people feel about including BA (Comair)? The FFP is BAEC which has its own forum. Yes, there are some country specific wrinkles like the credit card and the fact that it is a franchise operation - but won't it be a bit confusing? Almost all questions about Comair are currently asked in the BA forum at the moment AFAIK.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by tom911
I see one thread on Fly Africa. Are they based in South Africa? Hard to tell.
That was me. I flew them (JNB-HRE). I still don't know where they're based.

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
How do people feel about including BA (Comair)? The FFP is BAEC which has its own forum. Yes, there are some country specific wrinkles like the credit card and the fact that it is a franchise operation - but won't it be a bit confusing? Almost all questions about Comair are currently asked in the BA forum at the moment AFAIK.
This too. I think *if* this is going to happen (and as a frequent user of both the 'Africa' and 'Other African and ME carriers' fora, I'm not sure it should) it should be for SAA/Voyager only, including Airlink/Express. Otherwise, posts will get lost between this new forum, the old 'Other African carriers' forum and BA...
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:16 am

How about this for a name and the description under the name?

---------------------

---------------------
Has my (premature) vote.

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
How about a slight change to "British Airways (Comair) in South Africa"?

Nobody needs to reply. These sorts of things are above my Flyertalk pay grade. Just a thought.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Community Director has let us know in the Private Forum that she wants Comair to stay in the BA Forum. That's fine with me. If we remove it from cooleddie's excellent formatting I think we're still looking good.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
The Community Director has let us know in the Private Forum that she wants Comair to stay in the BA Forum.
What about Kulula.com codeshares on Comair branded BA flights?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the other forum is called "Russian based airlines" then this one should be "South African based airlines" with Comair and Mango mentioned in the forum description.

ADDED: Perhaps we need to delete Comair here. TB isn't obligated to follow the CD's suggestions, although note that we merely make recommendations which the CD is free to disregard.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the other forum is called "Russian based airlines" then this one should be "South African based airlines" with Comair and Mango mentioned in the forum description.

ADDED: Perhaps we need to delete Comair here. TB isn't obligated to follow the CD's suggestions, although note that we merely make recommendations which the CD is free to disregard.
Maybe Russia needs to add "and mileage programs" in their title? All other forums have the mileage programs name indicated.

I'm flexible either way.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

The Community Director has let us know in the Private Forum that she wants Comair to stay in the BA Forum. That's fine with me. If we remove it from cooleddie's excellent formatting I think we're still looking good.
I'm fine with removing it but I do have some thoughts on this one.

If there's a fare sale on comair it should be on the South Africa forum for relevance. Not BA.

Issues with Comair at the South Afrucan airport or discussion on comair airport lounges would be more robust in the South Africa forum.

Same thing with discussions on delays, new aircraft type, food, service, etc. Comair/BA has ordered a bunch of 737-MAX 8 aircraft. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comair_(South_Africa)

Planes operated by comair under BA name have South African registrations. Legally it's a South African airline though BA has part ownership.

Also once the board is set up there will be more South African flyers hanging out on the SA forum. Chances of them giving input on BA is minimal.

Also as mentioned above kulula is run by comair and codeshares with BA.

I personally prefer Comair BA to be on the SA forum. However it is a grey area and I'm flexible.

Last edited by cooleddie; Oct 14, 2015 at 11:19 pm
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:22 pm

If you're keeping Comair + Kulula on the BA forum, the new forum might as well be dedicated only to the Voyager participant airlines (SAA, Mango, Airlink, Express).

Neither flySafair nor Skywise has an FFP, and the jury is out whether Skywise will still be in existence anyway by the time the TalkBoard vote is finished.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
If you're keeping Comair + Kulula on the BA forum, the new forum might as well be dedicated only to the Voyager participant airlines (SAA, Mango, Airlink, Express).

Neither flySafair nor Skywise has an FFP, and the jury is out whether Skywise will still be in existence anyway by the time the TalkBoard vote is finished.
This is a good point...... I actually think this is valid.

So it's either "South African based airlines" or "South African Airways | Voyager" then...

Anyways as a random thing here is a youtube video of Comair.

Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:01 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by B747-437B

If anyone knows about airlines in Africa, it would be B747-437B...

...so due to the reasons stated above...
South African Airways | Voyager
...this would be my choice which I would support.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
How about a slight change to "British Airways (Comair) in South Africa"?
I like that. Or even "British Airways (operated by Comair)".

I'm really torn on what makes sense regarding the scope of the forum. On the BA forum loads of people seem to be knowledgeable about Comair and questions get answered pretty swiftly. On the other hand there are local nuances that seldom get an airing as I and cooleddie have mentioned. Tough one...
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:52 am

You're best off making it a "South Africa-Based Airlines" forum (akin to India-based and Russia-based), and include all the listed airlines on the list.

Issues dealing with the BA-branded Comair operation can go to the BA forum, while issues with the Comair/Kulula branded operation can stay in the new forum. Comair has spent a lot of time/effort developing the Kulula brand to separate its identity from the BA franchise. Very few general consumers even realise they are the same company.

It is not reasonable to expect someone seeking information about Kulula to know that Kulula is a trading name of Comair, the parent company of which also has a franchise agreement with British Airways and therefore, Kulula questions should be directed to the BA forum where they will likely get lost in the high volume traffic since >90% of the BA forum participants have no knowledge or interest in the subject matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.