Programs: BAEC GGL, Taylor Street Baristas
In favour.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: FB Silver, EK Gold, *A Gold, BAEC,KM
I'm for it and yes I am a smoker
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:09 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If you do not move all "smoking" related threads to this new forum, then why create the forum? Isn't the entire point of this forum to create one place on Flyertalk where smokers can go to talk about their unique issues?

Originally Posted by nsx
That would defeat the purpose of having a single forum where smokers can exchange information about smoking restrictions. The smoking aspect is a narrower category than the destination.

I for one welcome and encourage discussion here of how the forum should be implemented. I believe that moderators will find it useful to read about the possibilities and members' opinions before these situations arise.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by wharvey
If you do not move all "smoking" related threads to this new forum, then why create the forum? Isn't the entire point of this forum to create one place on Flyertalk where smokers can go to talk about their unique issues?
Perhaps I misunderstood; but I do believe you misread the answer of nsx.

The first choice which Eastbay1K asked was...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
More generally, will this proposed forum be one where (a) every destination-specific post will be redirected to the destination
...meaning that if the topic of the discussion pertained to a hotel property in New York City, for example, will it be re-directed to the New York City forum?

The response from nsx was...
Originally Posted by nsx
That would defeat the purpose of having a single forum where smokers can exchange information about smoking restrictions. The smoking aspect is a narrower category than the destination.
...meaning that if the topic of the discussion pertained to a hotel property in New York City, for example, it should stay in the new forum for smokers which has been proposed and not be re-directed to the New York City forum — a concept with which I would agree.

I would also agree with you, wharvey, that most — if not all — existing and future discussions related to smoking should be moved to the new forum if it is indeed created.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Support. Would be nice to have a reference for cigar friendly places
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:41 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
In favour. At first I was against the idea because of the specific topic and question how it would be social. Then I realized there are a wide range of locations and policies for tobacco users that might need clearing up.

Sure some people may think "you just need a smoking room, you can't use on a plane, and go to designated areas", but that's easier said than done. Policies vary from hotel to hotel, destination to destination. I know in Beijing they absolutely love to smoke at many locations (I don't smoke myself). In some cities it's absolutely a shame to even be outside near anyone to smoke. A very difficult thing when you realize you need to quit cold turkey for a couple days.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Oppose -- The issues of smoking should be debated on neutral ground within FT, not in a pro-smokers forum.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I see no harm in having one.There are other forums on FT that cater for a much smaller minority of the travelling public than us smokers.

Having it would be a breath of fresh air.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
I'm all for it. I'm a former smoker (now vaper). Great for information about how to carry items (for instance no lithium batteries in checked luggage, something ALL airport agents now say to me), where in which airports is it okay (or not okay) to smoke/vape

Tips for travelling with gear (for instance, how to store tanks (for vaping) while flying, as the difference in pressure can cause them to leak EVERYWHERE since most systems are based on a vacuum). Carrying liquids/devices through security, what to know.

Definitely all for this =]
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Dovester's post persuaded me to switch to favor creation and he also provided a reasonable explanation as to why there is a lack of content currently. Greenlight creation and review traffic in January seems a fair shake.

^ for this not being a proposal for an amendment relating to Robert's Rules.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm in favor of this, if only because conversation on this topic is presently likely too diffuse to be of any use. It's a niche, likely a non-trivial one, and at a bare minimum it's worth the experiment. If it fails it can always get shut down later but it seems worth a try.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Greenlight creation and review traffic in January seems a fair shake.
It does seem fair though the chances of that happening I'd think remote as TB doesn't believe in basing a forum's future solely on traffic metrics. Unless it were specifically written into a motion I would expect that like all other forums once created this one would linger for a long time regardless of how many or how few members actually use it. Just MHO.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by tcook052
It does seem fair though the chances of that happening I'd think remote as TB doesn't believe in basing a forum's future solely on traffic metrics. Unless it were specifically written into a motion I would expect that like all other forums once created this one would linger for a long time regardless of how many or how few members actually use it. Just MHO.
One of the things that argues for a smoker's forum is that it could be a flame free () place for discussion. Whenever a thread about smoking gets started elsewhere it always devolves into something unpleasant when the fervent anti-smokers become aroused. The new forum will likely require firm moderation at least for a while. How busy the new forum will be? Hard to say.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Support.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I see a lot of parallels between "traveling as a smoker" and "traveling with a pet". What hotel chains have what policies for guests who smoke/have a dog; what airports have smokers lounges / pet relief areas; suggestions for smoke/pet friendly hotels in XXX... and just as there are some who would argue against all smoking in public, there are those who oppose all pets in hotels & airplanes.

So if the Traveling with Pets forum has been accepted, the Smokers Forum should be too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.