Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I totally agree with you. Nobody has proposed discussing the pros and cons of smoking per se. The proposed forum would be a place where smokers could discuss their peculiar issues: where to smoke and not smoke, etc.

Bruce
This is a very important distinction. Smokers do NOT want to debate smoking. We have heard and know all sides of the issue. Asking where to smoke at FRA is one thing that would be helpful. If I should smoke at FRA is a completely different issue I doubt any smoker has any interest in.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by QtownDave
This is a very important distinction. Smokers do NOT want to debate smoking. We have heard and know all sides of the issue. Asking where to smoke at FRA is one thing that would be helpful. If I should smoke at FRA is a completely different issue I doubt any smoker has any interest in.
I totally agree.

Bruce
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Uh Dovster, I think you misread the person you were responding to as he's supportive of the forum & doesn't want or need it to be a for/against, but instead what you were intending the forum.

Cheers.
No, I didn't misread him. I was agreeing with what he said and expanding on it.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wharvey
Once there is a PROVEN need for this forum.... with sufficient threads and posts in other forums..... I would support the forum.

I just find this forum potentially being created by going against the CURRENT Talkboard guidelines. Until those guidelines are revised, I think they should be followed. It will be difficult to use "lack of sufficient demand" to oppose a forum in the future if this one is approved.
Sometimes guidelines are exactly that, just guidelines, and the "spirt of the FT constitution" means that existing forums should be broadened to include new groups that the founders did not envision as sufficiently in demand, noting also their minority status and the tyranny of the majority!

Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: Well said ^ and it's not like it's going to be a smoke filled room with smoke wafting into non-smoking areas , it's simply a place for those who smoke to discuss where the can smoke while traveling
^
I'm no smoker, but this is a pet-peeve issue of mine I have blogged about it often. That spreadsheet in Travel Buzz is very out of date, and if the Talkboard refuses to create a smoking section, I am going to attempt to construct one on my blog!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by swag
I see a lot of parallels between "traveling as a smoker" and "traveling with a pet". What hotel chains have what policies for guests who smoke/have a dog; what airports have smokers lounges / pet relief areas; suggestions for smoke/pet friendly hotels in XXX... and just as there are some who would argue against all smoking in public, there are those who oppose all pets in hotels & airplanes.

So if the Traveling with Pets forum has been accepted, the Smokers Forum should be too.
As a person who is adamantly against smoking, I agree with Swag's comments. I can see why a forum would be needed and think it would be beneficial to the smokers. Much better than having separate threads in nearly every forum.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
In favo(u)r.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
<chuckle> As a mod and onetime smoker, I am visualizing... a flame-free smoking forum! Would not have worked for me...

Y'all might want to make room for non-hostile posts or contained threads that include alternatives: e.g. I know some chew Nicorette / nicotine polyacrylex gum. Unfortunately, it won't do much good if you use it improperly (absorbing through the oral mucosa, good; chewing and swallowing, burping, dyspepsia, no useful function at all. Or, using it and consuming soft drinks with carbonic or / and citric acid, which neutralizes the nicotine.

There are often those who seek to quit. A thread with reputable information and resource links for anyone contemplating quitting might be useful, yet it doesn't strike out and beat people with a dead lung; it's just there for anyone who wants it. So might a thread encouraging and supporting anyone taking such action.

S'up to you; I'd not want to exclude those, though I also think that even under current mod conditions anyone who arrives in this putative forum and bashes, harasses, posts disruptively, etc. would be violating at least one of several rules.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
So now we're encouraging people to smoke?

I oppose creating this new forum.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53

This forum would in no way encourage anyone to smoke. In fact, any non-smoker who might read it and see all the problems that smokers have in finding accommodations would be given an additional, and more immediate, reason not to start smoking.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

Who said anything about that?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Who said anything about that?
It's just like the other Special Interest Travel forums encourage people to procreate, to buy pets, or to become disabled, GLBT, religious, or female (oops, the T of GLBT already covers that one).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Support 100%.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I made a similar point in the other discussion thread. By having a smoking forum open to all, teenage smokers who are undecided may think smoking is just fine because a site dedicated to frequent flyers just treats it no differently than a discussion about hotels or airlines. Smoking is very different than any other forum we have on FT because it kills 480,000 Americans a year.

At the very least, the Talk Board should post the Surgeon General's warning about smoking in the forum description and if they elect not to do it, Internet Brands, as the site owner and also owner of a portfolio of health-related sites, should put that warning up in an effort to deter teenage smoking.

If smoking continues at the current rate among youth in this country, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 will die early from a smoking-related illness. That’s about 1 of every 13 Americans aged 17 years or younger alive today.
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...a/tobacco_use/

Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable disease and death in the United States, accounting for more than 480,000 deaths every year, or 1 of every 5 deaths
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...king/index.htm

I don't see anything in the Talk Board proposal about a warning to teenage smokers, or smokers to be, that will be entering the forum. Without such a warning, I want the Talk Board to vote the current motion down.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:00 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by JDiver
<chuckle> As a mod and onetime smoker, I am visualizing... a flame-free smoking forum! Would not have worked for me...

Y'all might want to make room for non-hostile posts or contained threads that include alternatives: e.g. I know some chew Nicorette / nicotine polyacrylex gum. Unfortunately, it won't do much good if you use it improperly (absorbing through the oral mucosa, good; chewing and swallowing, burping, dyspepsia, no useful function at all. Or, using it and consuming soft drinks with carbonic or / and citric acid, which neutralizes the nicotine.

There are often those who seek to quit. A thread with reputable information and resource links for anyone contemplating quitting might be useful, yet it doesn't strike out and beat people with a dead lung; it's just there for anyone who wants it. So might a thread encouraging and supporting anyone taking such action.

S'up to you; I'd not want to exclude those, though I also think that even under current mod conditions anyone who arrives in this putative forum and bashes, harasses, posts disruptively, etc. would be violating at least one of several rules.
That brings up a good point. While I was in Norway I seen that Nicorette makes a inhalator for those trying to quit but I haven't seen that in USA or in PL.
That can be a great alternative when one is flying and can't use the e-cigs, smoke, and those who don't like the gum.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by tom911
I made a similar point in the other discussion thread. By having a smoking forum open to all, teenage smokers who are undecided may think smoking is just fine because a site dedicated to frequent flyers just treats it no differently than a discussion about hotels or airlines.
Those same teenagers, who have seen health warnings about cigarettes from the day they were born, have either decided not to smoke because of them or else ignored them (as teens tend to think they are invulnerable).

What they might not know, however, is the number of non health related problems they will face if they start smoking.

Should they go to this proposed forum, they will learn about them. I doubt that they will be turned on by learning that it is almost impossible, no matter what your status, to get an upgraded room at most hotels if you want to smoke.

I don't think they will get excited to learn that out of over 20 HHonors hotels in Manhattan, only two allow smoking.

I doubt they will be thrilled to learn that at many airports if you want to light up during a long connection you have to go outside even if it is the middle of winter and snowing and then come back through the TSA line.

I can't see them looking forward to not being able to rent a car and smoke in it or, if they do find an agency which allows it, to always get the oldest car in the worse condition.

I suspect that it will not be a big plus for them to find out that if they want to smoke in the airport in Prague they will have to go to one of two bar/restaurants where the prices are about double.

These are the conditions that travelers who smoke face on a regular basis. If you really want to make a contribution towards reducing teen smoking don't waste your time with additional health warnings -- instead, push for this forum to be established and then ask your local high school to make it part of the mandatory reading in a health education class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.