Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tcook052
Oppose.
Originally Posted by aacharya
Oppose. Were this an aficionado forum like wine ir food..it might make sense. But not the current proposal.
Originally Posted by wharvey
I would oppose for the simple reason that the Talkboard is going against it long espoused expectations of showing demand elsewhere on Flyertalk.

There have been few threads on this subject over the years; and I do not hold that people are not posting because of perceived biases.

I believe that the current structure can hold current demand until there is sufficient demand to support a unique forum.

I also find the title not adequately descriptive..... why not cover all the choices in the title?
I would urge you to rethink this -- I'll be happy to moderate it and I think having a central source for where to smoke at ____ and a place where smokers can come together and commiserate is a valuable tool for FT.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I would urge you to rethink this -- I'll be happy to moderate it and I think having a central source for where to smoke at ____ and a place where smokers can come together and commiserate is a valuable tool for FT.
Does that mean we non-smokers can find someplace to commiserate?

Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A woe is us smokers forum, you mean? Doesn't sound valuable to me but that's merely MHO and YMMV.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:41 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Once there is a PROVEN need for this forum.... with sufficient threads and posts in other forums..... I would support the forum.

I just find this forum potentially being created by going against the CURRENT Talkboard guidelines. Until those guidelines are revised, I think they should be followed. It will be difficult to use "lack of sufficient demand" to oppose a forum in the future if this one is approved.

Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After reading many comments I have completely changed my mind and now fully support a smokers section as long as it does not allow comments about the benefits / risks of smoking.

A traveler who smokes I think has a harder time finding information and accommodations then many of the specific types of travelers who already have their section.

And I'm pretty sure there are more smoking travelers than say lgbt travelers. But for the sake of discussion let's say that there are about the same amount.

What matrix allows one while ignoring the other?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Once there is a PROVEN need for this forum.... with sufficient threads and posts in other forums..... I would support the forum.

I just find this forum potentially being created by going against the CURRENT Talkboard guidelines. Until those guidelines are revised, I think they should be followed. It will be difficult to use "lack of sufficient demand" to oppose a forum in the future if this one is approved.
I don't know what standard of "PROOF" you are demanding (beyond a reasonable doubt, preponderance of the evidence, more likely than not?), but I am convinced that there is sufficient demand, and I voted in favor of creating the new forum.

Bruce

Last edited by bdschobel; Jul 1, 2015 at 10:09 am Reason: Added quote
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

As I wrote on the other thread (emphasis added):

Originally Posted by nsx
If there's a way to gauge interest without creating a new forum, I'd like to hear it. In the meantime, in my opinion the lack of any good home for a relevant subject is a trump card. As the person who drafted the forum creation criteria, I never anticipated such a situation.

The criteria ask "Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject?" rather than "In the absence of a forum, is there any place on FlyerTalk for this subject?" For the Smokers' Lounge, that answer is currently "No". To me, that supports the need for a forum. And yes, I strongly expect it to succeed. I believe there is a pent-up demand for discussion of topics from a smoker's point of view.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Bolding mine: Well said ^ and it's not like it's going to be a smoke filled room with smoke wafting into non-smoking areas , it's simply a place for those who smoke to discuss where the can smoke while traveling
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:34 am

TB has only voted against forum creation 3 times in almost 6 years so it would seem opposing a forum is a very rare thing.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
TB has only voted against forum creation 3 times in almost 6 years so it would seem opposing a forum is a very rare thing.
Many get proposed. Fewer get voted on. Fewer still get rejected.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:45 am
Suspended

Support
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by somedude3210
I don't believe the proposed forum is about being pro or anti-smoking. The proposed subtitle notes "Discussion of Practical Issues...."

I'm a smoker and I wouldn't be using the forum to take a pro-smoking stance, I already know it's bad for me. That said, I choose to smoke and I choose to travel, so having a sub-forum that relates to practical aspects of traveling as a smoker would be beneficial to me.

SUPPORT
I have been a smoker for the past 53 years and I can't think of a single way that it is beneficial. As somedude3210 said, discussing whether smoking is good or bad for you is not the purpose of this proposed forum. In fact, I think that whoever moderates it should remove any posts which take either viewpoint.

Go to Omni if you want to discuss the pros or cons of smoking. (I would be interested in finding any pros which might exist.)

When I first raised this issue, I said that the entire purpose of the forum is to help smokers find travel facilities (hotels, airports, car rental agencies, restaurants, etc) where they will be allowed to smoke.

These will be constantly changing. A couple of years ago I could not smoke in MXP -- today, I can. On the other hand, there used to be two HHonors hotels in the Atlanta airport area where smoking was allowed. Today there are none.

Non-smokers are probably not aware of where smoking is or is not allowed -- at least not to the degree that smokers are. A forum providing such information, and threads about particular locations being updated as the situation changes, would be very helpful to smokers -- and certainly will not take anything away from non-smokers.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope we aren't running out of forums
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Dovster
I have been a smoker for the past 53 years and I can't think of a single way that it is beneficial. As somedude3210 said, discussing whether smoking is good or bad for you is not the purpose of this proposed forum. In fact, I think that whoever moderates it should remove any posts which take either viewpoint.

Go to Omni if you want to discuss the pros or cons of smoking. (I would be interested in finding any pros which might exist.)

When I first raised this issue, I said that the entire purpose of the forum is to help smokers find travel facilities (hotels, airports, car rental agencies, restaurants, etc) where they will be allowed to smoke.

These will be constantly changing. A couple of years ago I could not smoke in MXP -- today, I can. On the other hand, there used to be two HHonors hotels in the Atlanta airport area where smoking was allowed. Today there are none.

Non-smokers are probably not aware of where smoking is or is not allowed -- at least not to the degree that smokers are. A forum providing such information, and threads about particular locations being updated as the situation changes, would be very helpful to smokers -- and certainly will not take anything away from non-smokers.
Uh Dovster, I think you misread the person you were responding to as he's supportive of the forum & doesn't want or need it to be a for/against, but instead what you were intending the forum.

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
I hope we aren't running out of forums
No, not at the rate at which they're being created.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.