Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan
Oppose -- The issues of smoking should be debated on neutral ground within FT, not in a pro-smokers forum.
I don't believe the proposed forum is about being pro or anti-smoking. The proposed subtitle notes "Discussion of Practical Issues...."

I'm a smoker and I wouldn't be using the forum to take a pro-smoking stance, I already know it's bad for me. That said, I choose to smoke and I choose to travel, so having a sub-forum that relates to practical aspects of traveling as a smoker would be beneficial to me.

SUPPORT
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by swag
I see a lot of parallels between "traveling as a smoker" and "traveling with a pet". What hotel chains have what policies for guests who smoke/have a dog; what airports have smokers lounges / pet relief areas; suggestions for smoke/pet friendly hotels in XXX... and just as there are some who would argue against all smoking in public, there are those who oppose all pets in hotels & airplanes.

So if the Traveling with Pets forum has been accepted, the Smokers Forum should be too.
That's a very good point!

Smokers have real problems while traveling. They need someplace to discuss those problems -- and solutions.

I strongly support creation of this forum.

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by somedude3210
I don't believe the proposed forum is about being pro or anti-smoking. The proposed subtitle notes "Discussion of Practical Issues...."

I'm a smoker and I wouldn't be using the forum to take a pro-smoking stance, I already know it's bad for me. That said, I choose to smoke and I choose to travel, so having a sub-forum that relates to practical aspects of traveling as a smoker would be beneficial to me.

SUPPORT
I totally agree with you. Nobody has proposed discussing the pros and cons of smoking per se. The proposed forum would be a place where smokers could discuss their peculiar issues: where to smoke and not smoke, etc.

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Oppose -- The issues of smoking should be debated on neutral ground within FT, not in a pro-smokers forum.
What makes you think this is a forum to debate the issue of smoking? I see zero discussion of the recent SCOTUS decision in the GLBT forum, no anti-Muslum/Chrsitian/xxx debates in the Religious Travelers forum, no "kids should be in their own section" debate in the Travel with Children forum.

I would assume proper moderation would move smoking debates to OMNI.

I think the key question is whether there's enough of a demand for a new forum.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by CPRich
What makes you think this is a forum to debate the issue of smoking? I see zero discussion of the recent SCOTUS decision in the GLBT forum, no anti-Muslum/Chrsitian/xxx debates in the Religious Travelers forum, no "kids should be in their own section" debate in the Travel with Children forum.

I would assume proper moderation would move smoking debates to OMNI.

I think the key question is whether there's enough of a demand for a new forum.
This is how I see the issue. Yeah, more moderation than "normal" may be required in such forum, but the real issue, to me, is whether there is enough demand. I will be watching the public commentary carefully.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not, we have special fora for other special interest groups.

I support this.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You're going to have to take that debate to OMNI/PR, because it won't be allowed in the Smoking Section.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
You're going to have to take that debate to OMNI/PR, because it won't be allowed in the Smoking Section.
Isn't the idea to debate issues of smoking? Or is super-mileage-fan talking of sociological or health issues?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, EVA Infinity Mileage Lands, Alaska mileage plan
I no longer smoke but I think this is a great idea. I can remember being very frustrated getting to an airport that at one time had a smoking lounge and then when I got there they no longer had one.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Calchas
Isn't the idea to debate issues of smoking?
No. It's to exchange information on the practical challenges of smokers who travel.

It's just like Pets. We talk about traveling with pets but we don't debate whether it makes sense to have a pet.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
No. It's to exchange information on the practical challenges of smokers who travel.
Oh, that's what I read "issues of smoking" to mean. ^
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Calchas
Isn't the idea to debate issues of smoking? Or is super-mileage-fan talking of sociological or health issues?
No, the idea is for smokers to have a flame free area to discuss things like hotels that allow smokers, where to find smoking areas in airports, etc. In the regular forums, those threads tend to get overwhelmed with Puritanical castigation of the smokers, unfortunately.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Precisely!

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
No, the idea is for smokers to have a flame free area to discuss things like hotels that allow smokers, where to find smoking areas in airports, etc. In the regular forums, those threads tend to get overwhelmed with Puritanical castigation of the smokers, unfortunately.
Can you share the threads where this has occurred or is this more theoretical like the demand for this forum.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I support the creation of a smoking forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.