Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The link provided by Carol brings you to the initial thread in the forum (which is a very important one), however if you want to see all threads you should go to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smoking-lounge-748/ .

Currently, although the new forum can be found in the drop down list on the main Flyer Talk page (under "Special Interest Travel") it is not shown in the list of Special Interest Travel forums. Hopefully, that will be corrected shortly.

Carol, would it also be possible to have a site-wide announcement that the new forum has been established? I remember that when the Budget Travel Forum began there was such an announcement and the forum took off immediately. On the other hand, there was no such announcement for the Religious Travel Forum and it had a very slow start.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: HH Silver
If this new forum is to be the repository for up-to-date information for smokers who travel why move smoking threads from other forums that are more than 6 years old? Are the smoking areas at LGW, for example, the same today as in July, 2006? I can appreciate threads with 'smoking' in the title were identified and moved but there seems little point given what is very likely to be stale information in a long dead thread.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
I can appreciate threads with 'smoking' in the title were identified and moved but there seems little point given what is very likely to be stale information in a long dead thread.
I agree that old threads should not be moved there but I suspect that the mods agree as there are no old threads in the forum.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
I agree that old threads should not be moved there but I suspect that the mods agree as there are no old threads in the forum.
Edited to add: I hadn't looked far back enough. There are, indeed, old threads which have been brought in.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Moving old threads is an open invitation to update them. They won't get updated in their previous locations.

Bruce
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Moving old threads is an open invitation to update them. They won't get updated in their previous locations.

Bruce
The threads, however, do not meet the format outlined (eg: NYC/Hotels) and will just add a lot of clutter. Moreover, some (like The Definitive List of Hilton HHonors Properties Which Allow Smoking) are actually more suited to their original forums.

To top it off, some of the posts in the old threads, while acceptable in their original forums, are exactly what the new forum was established to avoid. eg:

Originally Posted by smmrfld
The OP's connection between long flights and hotel smoking rooms is ludicrous. Take your deadly habit outside (way outside) the building or somewhere else entirely. Good riddance to disgusting smoking rooms.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:00 am
Community Director Emerita

Carol, would it also be possible to have a site-wide announcement that the new forum has been established? I remember that when the Budget Travel Forum began there was such an announcement and the forum took off immediately. On the other hand, there was no such announcement for the Religious Travel Forum and it had a very slow start.
Thank you for your helpful comments. I plan to do that today or tomorrow. Canarsie will be making an announcement about the new forum in the issue of TalkMail that goes out tomorrow. The two actions should do a good job of letting folks know where smoking in the context of travel can be discussed.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:33 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Bruce
The threads, however, do not meet the format outlined (eg: NYC/Hotels) and will just add a lot of clutter. Moreover, some (like The Definitive List of Hilton HHonors Properties Which Allow Smoking) are actually more suited to their original forums.
When moving threads, the date of the thread should be kept in context with the content of the thread to be moved as a 10 year old thread may/may not be applicable and things like "where diplomatic relations between the US & Cuba have been re-established, can I now bring Cuban cigars into the US?" or where can I buy duty free cigars at XXX airport are probably best suited for Travel Safety & Security and a forum covering XXX airport respectively. In other words, just don't move it because it mentions smoking or cigars without looking at it
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by goalie
When moving threads, the date of the thread should be kept in context with the content of the thread to be moved as a 10 year old thread may/may not be applicable and things like "where diplomatic relations between the US & Cuba have been re-established, can I now bring Cuban cigars into the US?" or where can I buy duty free cigars at XXX airport are probably best suited for Travel Safety & Security and a forum covering XXX airport respectively. In other words, just don't move it because it mentions smoking or cigars without looking at it
Can you return them to the original forums?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

To top it off, some of the posts in the old threads, while acceptable in their original forums, are exactly what the new forum was established to avoid. eg:
The mods could delete those posts from the threads, assuming the threads are of value given the new forum.

But this is housekeeping that might be better conducted w/ the mods in the new forum or via PM vs. posting here?

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
But this is housekeeping that might be better conducted w/ the mods in the new forum or via PM vs. posting here?
I believe that it was not the mods from the new forum who made the transfers but now that the threads are there, and they are aware of them, it is in their hands.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I believe that it was not the mods from the new forum who made the transfers but now that the threads are there, and they are aware of them, it is in their hands.
You are correct on all counts. The threads were apparently moved to the Smoking Forum by moderators of their original boards. Now that the threads have been moved, the only people who can perform moderator-type actions on them are Smoking Forum moderators, senior moderators, Carol and certain IB folks.

Bruce
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Y
ou are correct on all counts. The threads were apparently moved to the Smoking Forum by moderators of their original boards. Now that the threads have been moved, the only people who can perform moderator-type actions on them are Smoking Forum moderators, senior moderators, Carol and certain IB folks.

Bruce
Correct and just to let y'all know-threads which have been moved that are older than 18 months* have been locked due to possible inaccuracies/out dated information but if members have information to update them, they are free to pm the forum moderators and the thread(s) will be unlocked

*some which were moved went back to 2006

Last edited by goalie; Jul 13, 2015 at 1:28 pm Reason: added content
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:40 pm

I would just like to remind smokers to consider what is most important to them when looking for a hotel. If it is collecting points, then make your post in the forum dedicated to your chain. You can certainly ask if there is a hotel in the city you are going to stay in which allows smoking, but points are what you are really seeking.

On the other hand, if getting a smoking room is what is crucial for you, then post in the Smokers Lounge. You can mention your favorite chain(s) but if you are open to staying at any hotel as long as you can smoke your best chance of getting an answer is in the Smokers Lounge.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I would just like to remind smokers to consider what is most important to them when looking for a hotel. If it is collecting points, then make your post in the forum dedicated to your chain. You can certainly ask if there is a hotel in the city you are going to stay in which allows smoking, but points are what you are really seeking.

On the other hand, if getting a smoking room is what is crucial for you, then post in the Smokers Lounge. You can mention your favorite chain(s) but if you are open to staying at any hotel as long as you can smoke your best chance of getting an answer is in the Smokers Lounge.
Post it in the forum where it will get attention. Not here. Dov you know I'm supportive. But posting it here won't get the proper attention it needs. Smokers aren't going to check talkboard. They'll check the forum.

Cheers

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 13, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.