Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's all stay focused on the creation of the new forum. If there is a need to discuss changes in voting rules/procedures or internal TB politics, a new thread should be initiated (or one of the legacy threads dedicated to that particular subject be resurrected).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by tcook052
So inform the FT Host of the motion passing and the wheels can be set in motion.
I do not set up a forum until Talkboard has finished its voting. However, I have had active discussion with the candidate moderators with more to come. They are already putting excellent thought into the forum and its contents.

As a note to everyone, I will be giving them instructions that the forum is no place for vitriol against smoking. It is meant to be a useful, helpful resource for those who smoke or vape while traveling. Perhaps it will also be a useful resource for those of us who do not smoke and want to find outdoor dining in a specific country but only if there is no smoking. I honestly don't know where one can legally smoke in the State of California outside ones own home. There might well be those who travel to the state who don't realize how tightly smoking is legislated. Now they will have an assigned place to have that discussion. These discussions can occur in a very peaceful and non argumentative manner.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
If you need a new Moderator for the thread I have distinct qualifications which include 20 a day :-)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I do not set up a forum until Talkboard has finished its voting. However, I have had active discussion with the candidate moderators with more to come. They are already putting excellent thought into the forum and its contents.

As a note to everyone, I will be giving them instructions that the forum is no place for vitriol against smoking. It is meant to be a useful, helpful resource for those who smoke or vape while traveling. Perhaps it will also be a useful resource for those of us who do not smoke and want to find outdoor dining in a specific country but only if there is no smoking. I honestly don't know where one can legally smoke in the State of California outside ones own home. There might well be those who travel to the state who don't realize how tightly smoking is legislated. Now they will have an assigned place to have that discussion. These discussions can occur in a very peaceful and non argumentative manner.
Excellent! Thank you.

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
If you need a new Moderator for the thread I have distinct qualifications which include 20 a day :-)
You made me smile. I hope you'll be a regular participant in the forum. We'll need knowledgeable, helpful folks for this forum to become a solid resource.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I'm sure I will pop into the lounge for a quick review from time to time.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Bolding mine: The answer is Nevada
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Carol, I have two suggestions that I would like to make:

1. Whoever will moderate the forum should be a smoker -- he/she will better understand our situation than a non-smoker.

2. As I have mentioned repeatedly in the two TalkBoard Topics threads, the situation is a very fluid one. A hotel can allow smoking one day and a week later it can be non-smoking. An airport can be non-smoking for years and then suddenly install a smoking area.

In order not to present a mass of outdated information, I very strongly urge that anytime someone starts a new thread, the title should start with the city name and the type of facility being discussed. (eg: Chicago/Hotels, New York City/Airports, Milan/Car rentals, Tel Aviv/Restaurants.)

All future posts concerning a city/facility combination should be included in an existing thread if there is one. If a particular facility was mentioned more than six months ago, I would hope that posters who have been there since will either confirm that the situation is still the same or note that it has changed.

There are enough city/facility combinations possible to allow a great number of threads but by handling it in this way, it will be much easier for someone to find the most current information available.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Is Dovster volunteering to moderate? He'd be great!

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Is Dovster volunteering to moderate? He'd be great!

Bruce
No, Dovster is not volunteering to moderate. I would, however, be happy to work with the moderators to help establish the way the forum would/should be organized.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
...Besides what's the rush?
I do not set up a forum until Talkboard has finished its voting....
There's your answer, tcook052.

Also, if voting is completed by Friday, July 10, then a direct link to the new forum can be included in the next issue of TalkMail.

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
A small number of recent posts have been masked, as they are already discussing smoking circumstances at specific travel locations. It is great to see that people are interested in this new forum, but let's wait until the Community Director actually sets it up, before we get into the weeds. Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster

1. Whoever will moderate the forum should be a smoker -- he/she will better understand our situation than a non-smoker.
I concur. One smokes cigarettes, one smokes after dinner cigars.

2. As I have mentioned repeatedly in the two TalkBoard Topics threads, the situation is a very fluid one. A hotel can allow smoking one day and a week later it can be non-smoking. An airport can be non-smoking for years and then suddenly install a smoking area.

In order not to present a mass of outdated information, I very strongly urge that anytime someone starts a new thread, the title should start with the city name and the type of facility being discussed. (eg: Chicago/Hotels, New York City/Airports, Milan/Car rentals, Tel Aviv/Restaurants.)

All future posts concerning a city/facility combination should be included in an existing thread if there is one. If a particular facility was mentioned more than six months ago, I would hope that posters who have been there since will either confirm that the situation is still the same or note that it has changed.

There are enough city/facility combinations possible to allow a great number of threads but by handling it in this way, it will be much easier for someone to find the most current information available.
Great suggestions. I expect they are reading this thread already but I will point your post out to them.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Excellent. I'm more of a taker of info here but will now make a point of contributing.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Let's all stay focused on the creation of the new forum. If there is a need to discuss changes in voting rules/procedures or internal TB politics, a new thread should be initiated (or one of the legacy threads dedicated to that particular subject be resurrected).
Thank you. Some of us get tired of the public TB bickering. Take it to the private forum so the rest of us can focus on the topic of the thread (not specific to this one only).

Blackjack 21 had a suggestion for the forum description in the last page that I thought was a good one.

Also, as Dovster pointed out up thread, this forum will only succeed if the smoker FTers provide input in the new forum and Don't limit their participation to this thread only saying yes.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.