Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by kokonutz
After I finished my bruchette, accompanied by a heaping side of second hand smoke, I walked over between the two tables full of smokers and let out a long, loud stinky fart and said (crudely, with the help of Google translate). 'Ho succhiato il vento. Ora fai schifo mio.'
You had a dinner consisting of garlic bread and you are bothered by bad smells?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Dovster
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Because TalkBoard VP jason8612 is traveling, I am posting this on behalf of TalkBoard:

In accordance with the guidelines that we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that the motion to create a smokers' forum will pass. As of July 4, it secured at least 6 yes votes.

Please note that 8 out of 9 TB members voted, as of July 4. A final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until the 9th member votes or the voting period ends in 10 days.

Bruce
^^^
But also a ^^^ to you for bringing this issue to the forefront
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
. . .

The onus is on the forum supporters to show that the topic of smoking would generate enough posts to warrant a separate forum. How many posts do you think the new forum would generate? Significantly more than the 60 posts per year in the airport smoking thread? All I've seen is "build it and they will come" without any historical data showing that there are enough posts to justify a separate forum.
I think the "build it and they will come" theory is supported by the 20 pages of discussion on this topic right here, with a majority in favor of Dovster's suggestion!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Very good point. We now have demonstrated demand for the newly approved forum.

I'm excited about this and can't wait to contribute in some way. I often travel with a son who used to smoke and now vapes. The new forum will help both of us.

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:54 am

I'm excited about this and can't wait to contribute in some way.
But, apparently, you will have to wait -- until the final member votes even though that vote will not impact TalkBoard's decision in any way.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Yes, we have one TalkBoard member who likes to wait until the last minute to vote. (Once, she waited too long and missed voting entirely!) I have no idea why she does that, but obviously, it's her right to vote whenever she gets the urge. I'll observe that she posts constantly, more than 20 posts just today, but never seems to find the time to vote. Meanwhile, the motion has certainly passed. Maybe the powers that be are starting to set up the new forum. I hope so.

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Put me in the yes camp! ^

I don't smoke and like many ex-smokers (though it has been almost 30 years now!) I am insufferably intolerant of others smoking where it can affect me. But I respect smokers' right to smoke wherever they are permitted to do so and think it is petty to deny them a dedicated space to share information that is immensely important to their enjoyment of their travels.

I don't travel with pets or have a religious aspect to my travels but that doesn't make me feel those forums aren't serving a worthwhile purpose for those that do - while also keeping more order on FT by corralling big topics into dedicated areas.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
deny them a dedicated space to share information that is immensely important to their enjoyment of their travels.

I don't travel with pets or have a religious aspect to my travels but that doesn't make me feel those forums aren't serving a worthwhile purpose for those that do - while also keeping more order on FT by corralling big topics into dedicated areas.
well said, i think this is one of the main counterpoints to those who raised philosophical/etc arguments against smoking forum
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: HH Silver
Maybe the powers that be are starting to set up the new forum. I hope so.
Why hope? Don't the TB Guidelines allow you as TB President to communicate to the FT Host that the motion has passed even if all the votes aren't in yet?

Besides what's the rush?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That announcement was made yesterday. There is no rush. Likewise, there is no reason to delay unnecessarily.

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:03 pm

That announcement was made yesterday. There is no rush. Likewise, there is no reason to delay unnecessarily.

Bruce
It may be an ego thing. We had another member of TB (before, I believe, the person you are referring to was on it) who also voted at the last minute. I suspected at the time that it was an "I am so important that this can't go forward without me" thing. Unfortunately, it was even worse in those days as an announcement could not be made as to whether an issue had passed or failed until all members had cast their ballots or the time limit had been reached.

As I recall, the vote to allow it to be announced was also held up by that one person.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: HH Silver
So inform the FT Host of the motion passing and the wheels can be set in motion.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tcook052
So inform the FT Host of the motion passing and the wheels can be set in motion.
How silly. Do you think the CD doesn't already know & probably is already working behind the scenes to get things going? She does read the forum you know .

There have been plenty of times when a motion has passed & there's been a wait for final vote (and no, not to the very end) & shortly after the last vote comes in or the voting timeframe expires, the new forum is created/link provided by the CD in the voting thread. The time inbetween was utilized behind the scenes by the mod(s)/CD.

I think the smokers are happy that they've got a forum & if it waits a few days it won't be the end of the world.

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Of course, I did that on Saturday, July 4, when we reached 6 yes votes. She probably knew it already, but I sent a PM just to be sure. Thanks for looking after TalkBoard housekeeping!

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I'll observe that she posts constantly, more than 20 posts just today, but never seems to find the time to vote.
As of this moment, she has more than 35 posts today. She did take 6 hours off from FlyerTalk, likely to sleep. But still we await her vote.
Originally Posted by Dovster
It may be an ego thing. We had another member of TB (before, I believe, the person you are referring to was on it) who also voted at the last minute. I suspected at the time that it was an "I am so important that this can't go forward without me" thing. Unfortunately, it was even worse in those days as an announcement could not be made as to whether an issue had passed or failed until all members had cast their ballots or the time limit had been reached.

As I recall, the vote to allow it to be announced was also held up by that one person.
I agree that this peculiar voting pattern is likely "an ego thing." It's the perfect way to get TalkBoard -- and anybody on FlyerTalk who cares about TalkBoard -- to focus on you, you, YOU! I'm not shy about expressing my annoyance (as I'm doing right now).

We have an overwhelming vote in favor of the motion. The fact that it has, effectively, already passed is already announced. We've received 300 public comments in this thread, with (in my humble opinion) only a slim chance of seeing anything revolutionary or truly new in the next 9 days, while the voting clock runs out. This one person's vote -- the 9th vote of 9 -- cannot possibly affect the outcome in any material way. Is she waiting for some kind of epiphany? What will signal to her that the time to vote has finally arrived?

Meanwhile, those of us with TalkBoard responsibilities must check the site periodically, several times a day, to see if that last, missing vote has been cast. What a great way to grab everybody's attention. Not necessarily in a good way!

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.