Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Moved by CMK10 and seconded by nsx :

TalkBoard recommends creation of a new forum under Special Interest Travel

1. titled: The Smoking Section
2. subtitled: Discussion of Practical Issues for Travelers who Smoke, Chew, or Vape

This vote will close on July 15, 2015 , at 6:30AM* EDT or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes' after voting opens 2 days after a site-wide announcement.

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread or at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...who-smoke.html

*will revise exact time once site-wide announcement is made

Last edited by jason8612; Jul 1, 2015 at 4:35 am Reason: Time updated for the vote
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Oppose.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

A site wide announcement was posted a few moments ago. It will run for 2 weeks.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: A3*G, Hertz Gold Rewards President Circle, Best Western Platinum,
In favour - helping smokers know where they can and cant can influence routing decisions
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:59 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
At first I was against it, but I can see how this can be a problem to many travelers. My father smokes and I know how it is inconvenient for him to go out of a airport to smoke between connections or in a new city or hotel to smoke. I know the easiest answer is just don't smoke, but that just isn't a option.
So if this section can help with making it more comfortable to travel, then I am for it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Oppose. Were this an aficionado forum like wine ir food..it might make sense. But not the current proposal.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I support the motion. This forum is supposed to help ALL of us with our travels. Can't think of any legitimate, non-political reason not to support this.

It's a legitimate issue and concern amongst travelers.

And for the record I do not smoke.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: Status Free
In favor

After reading Dovster's points in the original discussion thread, I think there's a need for this.

And I don't smoke either
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:42 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I would oppose for the simple reason that the Talkboard is going against it long espoused expectations of showing demand elsewhere on Flyertalk.

There have been few threads on this subject over the years; and I do not hold that people are not posting because of perceived biases.

I believe that the current structure can hold current demand until there is sufficient demand to support a unique forum.

I also find the title not adequately descriptive..... why not cover all the choices in the title?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally I was against this, but after reading comments in the original thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...who-smoke.html

I'm inclined to support it (and I'm a non-smoker).

Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tcook052
Oppose.
(1) Why?

(2) More generally, will this proposed forum be one where (a) every destination-specific post will be redirected to the destination forum, or (b) will they remain in the segregated smoking room?

If (a), then the forum's utility will be limited.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(1) Why?
As I've said in the discussion thread and as wharvey has said in this one I don't believe there is enough real demand to warrant forum creation.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:02 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(2) More generally, will this proposed forum be one where (a) every destination-specific post will be redirected to the destination forum,
That would defeat the purpose of having a single forum where smokers can exchange information about smoking restrictions. The smoking aspect is a narrower category than the destination.

I for one welcome and encourage discussion here of how the forum should be implemented. I believe that moderators will find it useful to read about the possibilities and members' opinions before these situations arise.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:17 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
In favor (and yes,I'm a smoker )
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:35 am

I see no harm in having one.There are other forums on FT that cater for a much smaller minority of the travelling public than us smokers.

Having it would be a breath of fresh air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.