Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Should the Travel News forum remain open as its own standalone forum?

Here is the Travel News forum. Should it remain open; or should it be closed? Please post objective reasons for either position below.

Keep the Travel News Forum Open

It provides a place where only news linked to other sources can be posted.

Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.

Close/Merge the Travel News Forum

It is redundant; and discussions posted in it are best served when residing in other forums on FlyerTalk — such as TravelBuzz, for example.

It is obsolete due to improved technology which has emerged over the years, allowing news pertaining to travel to be easily obtained elsewhere.

It is not at all clear what types of posts belong in it.

Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and every thing travel related. But now FT does and Travel News is out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized.
Print Wikipost

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Prospero
There are additional costs in terms of user experience which kokonutz described in his post above (#563). I’d go further and argue that any forum that requires such a disproportionate amount of housekeeping is symptomatic of fundamental underlying problems - so easily fixed if TB has the will to address it.
Have you seen how much housekeeping Community Buzz, Miles Buzz, the Information Desk and Trip Reports require? Mere need for housekeeping does not mean the forum doesn't serve a purpose.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by CMK10
Have you seen how much housekeeping Community Buzz, Miles Buzz, the Information Desk and Trip Reports require? Mere need for housekeeping does not mean the forum doesn't serve a purpose.
Yes, I can see your point but in terms of the post : housekeeping ratio, TN is off the chart.

Is it not good practice to frame out the purpose of each forum that clearly guides the member's contribution. kokonutz has already described how difficult it can be contribute to TN - it really is a minefield. A few members persist and good on them but I'd wager many have simply turned their backs on TN are posting elsewhere. Once bitten, twice shy. The diminishing traffic numbers does suggest this.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It probably costs nothing in monetary terms but forums filled with redirects do suffer from fragmentation causing issues with the search engine. For example, if you search within Travel News for “SeaPort”, the results exclude http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...on-thread.html, posted last week in TN.

There are additional costs in terms of user experience which kokonutz described in his post above (#563). I’d go further and argue that any forum that requires such a disproportionate amount of housekeeping is symptomatic of fundamental underlying problems - so easily fixed if TB has the will to address it.
By this standard, we should have closed Information Desk shortly after it opened. In fact, TBT seems to get a lot of misplaced threads at times, leading to moved threads and redirects. I currently see ten thread redirects on the first page (of about 25). The second page of TBT has 8 redirects while the third page has 19.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 14, 2016 at 9:00 am
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
By this standard, we should have closed Information Desk shortly after it opened. In fact, TBT seems to get a lot of misplaced threads at times, leading to moved threads and redirects. I currently see ten thread redirects on the first page (of about 25). The second page of TBT has 8 redirects while the third page has 19.
The reasons for the misplaced threads in TN were cited by kokonutz in post #563. These are unique to TN and as I have posted up thread, the issue isn’t a blimp - it is a systematic problem. There is a significant distinction to be made here. One is an oversight of an individual member, the other is a series of ongoing errors not specifically of the member’s doing but rather as a result of a hazy set of guidelines created by FT itself.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
<snip>In fact, TBT seems to get a lot of misplaced threads at times, leading to moved threads and redirects. I currently see ten thread redirects on the first page (of about 25). The second page of TBT has 8 redirects while the third page has 19.
For some reason I can't fathom (Information Desk is the first listed forum most see afaik), a significant number of new posters make their first post about an award, missing baggage, you name it, on TBT. We try to promptly move those to the appropriate forum, leaving the redirect so the new member can follow up easily. To me, strange - but normal, and ID is the usual catch-all for most.

We also get our share of spam, but at least TBT is not usually the target of spam attacks (I've seen the most on Travel Buzz, followed by Information Desk probably).
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerd
Well, who makes decisions like the recent "Travel News is for meta-discussion about an article about a topic, but not for discussing the actual travel-related topic itself" ?
No one can answer this question?

Anyway, if you look at the activity in the Travel News forum, the discussion is usually not about the article, but largely about the actual travel-related topic.

It seems like someone made up the meta-discussion rule to justify the existence of the forum, while the forum fills up with content that is overwhelmingly off-topic.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Anyway, if you look at the activity in the Travel News forum, the discussion is usually not about the article, but largely about the actual travel-related topic.

It seems like someone made up the meta-discussion rule to justify the existence of the forum, while the forum fills up with content that is overwhelmingly off-topic.
Exacto.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
The moderator made them up. And it's against the rules to talk about moderator actions, which is likely why no one answered your question. I hope I am not suspended for doing so.

Again, against the rules to talk about moderator actions (or inactions).

But speaking to the remit of the forum only: yes, it continues to be a muddled mess as the criteria laid out are not consistently adhered to by posters. Not out of malice but caused by the narrow remit itself.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's stop dancing around the rules about discussion of moderator action. Koko's surreptitious comment will be the last on the subject.

If you have a question or comment about how a moderator handled something, then contact that person via PM.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:35 pm

Quoted from the wikipost:
Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.
I don't believe this statement provides us with an accurate description of TN's scope. In fairness, TN arguably serves as a duplicate function to TravelBuzz and OMNi but the distinction really ends there.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quoted from the wikipost:
I don't believe this statement provides us with an accurate description of TN's scope. In fairness, TN arguably serves as a duplicate function to TravelBuzz and OMNi but the distinction really ends there.
And does "travel news" forum really get "a lot of views" last year and this year? It seems mostly to get a rather small "lot" of views given the following: the size of the FT membership base, the method of views racking up, and the historically broad range of threads about a very wide variety of travel-related subjects that had been posted in there.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by tom911
Go ahead and put it up for a vote
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I don't think its a best practice to rush such an important decision.
I must admit I'm not up on the latest TB rules, and I haven't studied Robert's Rules since my fraternity days. Is 10 months still "rushing"? After years of similar discussion?

(btw, there have been 12 new threads started on TN between the last two individual posts in the discussion on TN)
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CPRich
Is 10 months still "rushing"? After years of similar discussion?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, I resent the title of this thread. It doesn't list "leave it alone" as a pssibility.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by CPRich
I must admit I'm not up on the latest TB rules, and I haven't studied Robert's Rules since my fraternity days. Is 10 months still "rushing"? After years of similar discussion?

i'm not on the TalkBoard. <shrug>

(btw, there have been 12 new threads started on TN between the last two individual posts in the discussion on TN)
Are we saying that metrics like that are important or are not important these days?

This thread is that forum's best friend. Every time this thread gets active, that forum does too as supporters of the forum find and post articles that fit the narrow, restrictive remit of the forum in order to justify its continued existence.

You are welcome, forum supporters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.