Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Should the Travel News forum remain open as its own standalone forum?

Here is the Travel News forum. Should it remain open; or should it be closed? Please post objective reasons for either position below.

Keep the Travel News Forum Open

It provides a place where only news linked to other sources can be posted.

Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.

Close/Merge the Travel News Forum

It is redundant; and discussions posted in it are best served when residing in other forums on FlyerTalk — such as TravelBuzz, for example.

It is obsolete due to improved technology which has emerged over the years, allowing news pertaining to travel to be easily obtained elsewhere.

It is not at all clear what types of posts belong in it.

Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and every thing travel related. But now FT does and Travel News is out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized.
Print Wikipost

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:30 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I suppose I should know the answer, but how many new forums have been created in the last 12-15 months? I can only think of one (Smoking Lounge) which appears to have been well-received by those how share that interest.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...decisions-605/

South Africa Voyager
Copa Connectmiles
Smokers Lounge

In addition, 4 Budget Airlines forums were closed "primarily due to low traffic"

And Car rental forums were restructured and re-named.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tcook052
...Anything is possible given the 'build it they will come' philosophy many TBers hold. After all you talked them into the EM&PR forum...
Didn't talk me into voting for Koko'splayground
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by goalie
Koko'splayground
Why make it personal!? I would never have the audacity to call Travel News xxxxxxx's playground. Whether I thought it is or not. I choose to believe we are all trying to act in the best interests of FlyerTalk and its posters.

In any case this thread is about Travel News. Respectfully, if you want to talk about EM&PR, start a thread. I'd be more than happy to participate!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

MHO is that TB should only consider changing the current status of the Travel news and Travel Buzz forums if it's willing to consider other possible forum redundancies with an eye to amalgamation. Just MHO.
I wholeheartedly agree! But I think this suggestion does not go far enough. We should combine all forums into one forum called 'travel' as everything related to travel is mst certainly related. Anything deemed not travel-related can be sent off to OMNI (whose sub-forums themselves really need to be combined into a single forum). Things will be much clearer that way and people will certainly be able to very easily go to the proper place when looking for travel-related items, including news. There is a plus for moderators here, too. No longer will they need to assign topics to other forums so other moderators can combine them into mega-threads. Now mega-threads can be formed from within the same forum, making for much less moderation work. It's a win for everyone!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Prospero
The overlap is not marginal, it is absolute.
Just take the latest TN post, the only one in the past two days.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lane-food.html

Oh, right, there's a link to pretty pictures. It is news. Further, it comes from the pinnacle of news sources, with grammar such as "but lest we forget, a decades ago ..."

But there's a link.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I wholeheartedly agree! But I think this suggestion does not go far enough. We should combine all forums into one forum called 'travel' as everything related to travel is mst certainly related. Anything deemed not travel-related can be sent off to OMNI (whose sub-forums themselves really need to be combined into a single forum). Things will be much clearer that way and people will certainly be able to very easily go to the proper place when looking for travel-related items, including news. There is a plus for moderators here, too. No longer will they need to assign topics to other forums so other moderators can combine them into mega-threads. Now mega-threads can be formed from within the same forum, making for much less moderation work. It's a win for everyone!
Within that Travel forum, why not just have a single megathread called "Travel [Consolidated]"?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: HH Silver
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by nerd
Are there other forums that are redundant by design in the way Travel News is, with its meta-discussion mandate?
My bolding.

I believe discussion is not mandatory. It was removed in September 2013, as one of the tweaks done when (later failed) motion to close TN was discussed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21440477-post52.html
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Within that Travel forum, why not just have a single megathread called "Travel [Consolidated]"?
Excellent suggestion!
Hey - I liked your suggestion! I think the TN forum is getting a bad rap and that if that's on the table there are other forum-combination issues that could and should be addressed. What you propose is sort-of like a constitutional convention where everything is n the table.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by intuition
My bolding.

I believe discussion is not mandatory. It was removed in September 2013, as one of the tweaks done when (later failed) motion to close TN was discussed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21440477-post52.html
There was a required "commentary" period -- and it seemed to be in practice in some ways even after September 2013. I'm not sure how consistent that practice was, but it was what it was.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
My bolding.

Right, discussion is not mandatory.

However, the forum rules now state that the forum exists for meta-discussion (discuss the article about the topic, not the topic itself).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OK I misunderstood your post, thinking the meta-discussion referred to the earlier mandatory comment rule. Now it's crystal clear.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:11 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just take the latest TN post, the only one in the past two days.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lane-food.html

Oh, right, there's a link to pretty pictures. It is news. Further, it comes from the pinnacle of news sources, with grammar such as "but lest we forget, a decades ago ..."

But there's a link.
And? I bet I could go through two dozen forums right now and find only one or fewer posts in the past few days. Does that mean we don't need these forums? This kind of nitpicky micromanaging is not helpful for Flyertalk.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CMK10
And? I bet I could go through two dozen forums right now and find only one or fewer posts in the past few days. Does that mean we don't need these forums? This kind of nitpicky micromanaging is not helpful for Flyertalk.
No, I'm saying it completely belongs in TB (quoting absolute overlap).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: HH Silver
Excellent suggestion!
Hey - I liked your suggestion! I think the TN forum is getting a bad rap and that if that's on the table there are other forum-combination issues that could and should be addressed. What you propose is sort-of like a constitutional convention where everything is n the table.
Apologies and misread your post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.