Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Should the Travel News forum remain open as its own standalone forum?

Here is the Travel News forum. Should it remain open; or should it be closed? Please post objective reasons for either position below.

Keep the Travel News Forum Open

It provides a place where only news linked to other sources can be posted.

Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.

Close/Merge the Travel News Forum

It is redundant; and discussions posted in it are best served when residing in other forums on FlyerTalk — such as TravelBuzz, for example.

It is obsolete due to improved technology which has emerged over the years, allowing news pertaining to travel to be easily obtained elsewhere.

It is not at all clear what types of posts belong in it.

Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and every thing travel related. But now FT does and Travel News is out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized.
Print Wikipost

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
to you.
That's why I was elected wasn't it? There are other forums that have low traffic, other forums that are redundant, neither of which are enough on their own to warrant a closure.

As bdschobel always used to say, we aren't running out of internet. There are people who get use out of the forum and i want them to continue to do so.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:14 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Prospero
I appreciate your time and thoughts all the same.

Remember, military travel topics can and do attract quality discussion (if you think about the best forum to post them in) - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...force-one.html
By way of a reasonable comparison of very similar TB and TN threads, both started with a news article: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-one-jets.html

Originally Posted by CMK10
That's why I was elected wasn't it? There are other forums that have low traffic, other forums that are redundant, neither of which are enough on their own to warrant a closure.
If there is another forum as redundant as TN I will gladly and enthusiastically open a thread in this forum about closing it.

Can you please name it?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Should we close the Alaska forum, say, because it has so few posts? I would say not.
No, because that's MY pet forum, and we're not allowed to close any TalkBoard members' pet forums.

In all seriousness, it makes no sense to close the Alaska forum because the content isn't duplicated elsewhere. It also doesn't make sense to argue that it should be merged elsewhere where more eyeballs will see the content and comment on it is not because none of the other existing forums make logical sense for people to look for information on Alaska. People wouldn't think to look in the West forum, and most of the people hanging out in the West forum aren't really any more likely to be knowledgeable about travel in Alaska than people in the South forum or the Texas forum or the Washington, DC forum. (The Hawaii forum might actually be slightly more knowledgeable about Alaska than others because so many Alaskans visit Hawaii.) Alaska is a discrete topic that isn't easily discussed elsewhere. (Well, maybe if we had a dedicated Yukon Territory forum...)

I am not getting the sense that's the case with Travel News.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If there is another forum as redundant as TN I will gladly and enthusiastically open a thread in this forum about closing it.

Can you please name it?
Certainly: I see a ton of redundancy between Travel Tools, Travel Technology and Travel Products.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Certainly: I see a ton of redundancy between Travel Tools, Travel Technology and Travel Products.
You see redundancy between travel computing software, travel computing hardware and travel hard products like luggage and socks!? FlightAware vs. an Apple Airbook vs. a new Tumi bag.

As opposed to a forum about general travel topics (often including threads started with news articles) and a forum about news articles about general travel topics? A thread about the new Air Force One fleet started with a news article vs. a thread about an article about the new Air Force One fleet...

Really?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:40 pm

Yes, I do. I think there could easily be a forum titled Travel Tools and Technology.

But that's the beauty of opinion isn't it? You disagree with me on those forums as I do with you on Travel News but unfortunately for you most of the rest of TB and enough of the people who chimed in agree with me on Travel News so it seems it's staying open.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I do. I think there could easily be a forum titled Travel Tools and Technology.

But that's the beauty of opinion isn't it? You disagree with me on those forums as I do with you on Travel News but unfortunately for you most of the rest of TB and enough of the people who chimed in agree with me on Travel News so it seems it's staying open.
Emotion often trumps logic.

That's the power of incumbency.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's absolutely false, we created the Smoker's Lounge last year which certainly has a narrower focus than TN.

And even if your point is correct, does that mean we should close all forums that wouldn't get created today?
But where is the companion Smoker's News forum?

If someone wants to discuss articles about smoking, but not the actual topic of smoking, where do they go?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
In a sense, I feel the need to offer an public apology. Last year I held the belief that being on TB made people silly. Now I realise being off TB can make people as silly. I say this because when even senior members comes up with things like those on TB denies the uncomfortable truth or are acting emotional and not seeing the one true logic, it is hard to confine the silliness.

I'm really trying to see the arguments here. One argument that is repeated is closing TN leads to better visibility and higher number of replies, ie more discussion. While there is a proposal to determine if so is the case, I'd still like to know if number of replies, or even 'quality debate', is the one true mark deciding which content should be on FT. I don't see the connection between interesting material and a mandatory broad debate. Sometimes it is true, sometimes it is not.

Compare to the social media scene. I find it valuable to be informed that Jimmy quit and Jody got married on my FB wall, but I'm not really going to comment on it. (They should have known they'd never get far.)
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I don’t think the question of whether the content should be on FT or not has been approached in this thread. Linking news articles to posts does add value.

What we have is a strange anomaly whereby news articles are accommodated in every forum (bar none) yet TravelBuzz and to a lesser extent OMNI share a duplicate outlet in TN. The evidence shows that TravelBuzz and OMNI have the capacity and audience to promote discussion whereas TN does not. So my argument is to focus our energy on the forums that excel in facilitating first rate discussion and remove what has chronically been a third rate news clipping forum.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I understand that, but is 'promoting discussion' key to every topic?

TravelBuzz and OMNI surely has the capacity to add a large number of opinions on every and any subject, and both of these exists IMHO primarily to solicit the opinion of others, ie to get involved in "vibrant dialogue". So I am trying to understand if vibrant dialogue is/has to be the goal of FT in general.

I see FT as an virtual lounge. When at the lounge, sometimes you go to the bar and have a discussion with someone, and sometimes you just want to sit in the quite library and read something. I have yet to hear someone saying "this airport lounge is bad because there is a library, when you in fact can read newspapers at the bar just as easily".

Maybe a news clipping service can't be successful on FT, maybe too few people are looking for "the library". Then it will fade away and not bother anyone doing so.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:57 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I see your point, intuition, and it made me think of an idea. Would putting news articles in TravelBuzz with a "News" prefix (like what Coupon Connection has) solve the problem? Those only interested in News articles can "visit the library" and only read the article, those wanting to "visit the bar" and engage in the discussion that ensues can do that.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by intuition
I understand that, but is 'promoting discussion' key to every topic?

TravelBuzz and OMNI surely has the capacity to add a large number of opinions on every and any subject, and both of these exists IMHO primarily to solicit the opinion of others, ie to get involved in "vibrant dialogue". So I am trying to understand if vibrant dialogue is/has to be the goal of FT in general.

I see FT as an virtual lounge. When at the lounge, sometimes you go to the bar and have a discussion with someone, and sometimes you just want to sit in the quite library and read something. I have yet to hear someone saying "this airport lounge is bad because there is a library, when you in fact can read newspapers at the bar just as easily".

Maybe a news clipping service can't be successful on FT, maybe too few people are looking for "the library". Then it will fade away and not bother anyone doing so.
Just make Travel News a subform of Travelbuzz?

Was Newsstand/Travel News created to segment out travel news from Travelbuzz?

The driver of the news on FT used to be doc, but that was before the powers that be on here decided a different direction was needed with his legendary contributions. And the dynamics of the Newsstand/Travel News forum has changed materially at least once since doc's rapid news contributions here came to a grinding halt.

Wasn't the purpose of the News forum to divert away allowed activity until it was stopped? Either way, I don't really see the purpose of a standalone Travel News forum. Most any travel news article can be diverted to another existing forum with more activity than the current Travel News forum.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Prospero
So my argument is to focus our energy on the forums that excel in facilitating first rate discussion and remove what has chronically been a third rate news clipping forum.
I would argue there are many third rate forums that are so moribund as to not generate first rate discussions with regularity so if we are weighing the relative worth of forums we should not be looking at this one forum with an eye toward closure but a number of others.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
But where is the companion Smoker's News forum?

If someone wants to discuss articles about smoking, but not the actual topic of smoking, where do they go?
Why isn't there a disability travel news forum?

A religious travelers news forum?

A women's travel news forum?

A travel technology news forum?

If I proposed these forums today would the TB create them using the success and utility of travel news as a precedent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.