Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Should the Travel News forum remain open as its own standalone forum?

Here is the Travel News forum. Should it remain open; or should it be closed? Please post objective reasons for either position below.

Keep the Travel News Forum Open

It provides a place where only news linked to other sources can be posted.

Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.

Close/Merge the Travel News Forum

It is redundant; and discussions posted in it are best served when residing in other forums on FlyerTalk — such as TravelBuzz, for example.

It is obsolete due to improved technology which has emerged over the years, allowing news pertaining to travel to be easily obtained elsewhere.

It is not at all clear what types of posts belong in it.

Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and every thing travel related. But now FT does and Travel News is out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized.
Print Wikipost

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Old May 13, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well said cblaisd, thats part of my personal philosophy
Old May 13, 2015, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I would like to know why Former Airline CEO gets MBA from Univ. of Rochester 47 years later is worthy of staying in the Travel News Forum and earthquakes in Nepal is not?
Old May 13, 2015, 9:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would be very open to a suggestion for a more apt forum for the former, and certainly appreciate the question. Thank you.

The earthquake happened in Nepal and so it seemed appropriate to move to that geographic forum (especially since it was not a "general travel news story") while leaving, of course, a permanent re-direct so folks could easy follow the story/thread there.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Seems like every forum has a constituency no matter how small.

the TB has taken a bunch of heat for not closing forums after annual review. This is why, folks.

So next time you are tempted to bring up the annual review please visit this thread and realize that THIS is why no forum gets closed ever: whenever we try we get shouted down by that forum's small constituency. @:-)
Well I can help you there as there is a forum deserving of closure with no constituency whatsoever as it generates no posts whatsoever. Read all about it in this thread. If you're so keen to close forums as you profess there's your no-brainer.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:13 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
i have also tried to close the religious traveler forum. No dice there either.

the TB has taken a bunch of heat for not closing forums after annual review. This is why, folks.

So next time you are tempted to bring up the annual review please visit this thread and realize that THIS is why no forum gets closed ever: whenever we try we get shouted down by that forum's small constituency. @:-)
If TB isn't going to close any forums, then perhaps they should be more cautious about determining there is a large enough audience for the forum before opening it.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Agree with those who think Travel News should remain.

I also believe cblaisd does an outstanding job managing what gets posted in TN.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
i have also tried to close the religious traveler forum. No dice there either.

A bit of a red herring there koko. There have been very few reviews & discussions of closing different forums, even in the private forum, over the years. Other forums that might have a better case for being closed haven't really been addressed. So to say it's a small constituency that's preventing something from being closed each time is a bit of hogwash. And in this particular forum perhaps it's just a small constituency that wants to see it shut

And yes canarsie, did see that last in your post

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:32 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Puhleeze.

koko has a history of trying to shut down TN & doesn't have history in the public TB forum of shutting down other forums. In fact, the entire TB has been quiet when FTers have asked them recently to post their thoughts in the appropriate thread re: shutting down forums. There's no reason to single this particular forum out when ignoring the legitimate questions that have been raised re: other forums. If there was a reason to shut down this forum it should have first been raised in the other thread.

On a dif note - one could ask whether External Miles & Points Resources forum should still stay open, given most of it is just blog bashing & truthfully not that many new threads in the last year

Cheers.
Bolding mine: Or the Information Desk as that seems to be a repository of new threads where many obviously belong in an existing forum based on the original question but that's a topic for another discussion

I can't speak to kokonutz having a history of wanting to shut down forums but there is (imho) a history of pushing things based on what could be (n.b. could be) a personal agenda and for the record, when I served on TalkBoard and the motion to close the TravelNews was put forward, I voted "no" (and If I was serving on TB I would vote "no" again)
Old May 14, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by goalie
I can't speak to kokonutz having a history of wanting to shut down forums but there is (imho) a history of pushing things based on what could be (n.b. could be) a personal agenda and for the record...
You're the second person to make this claim. I ask you both again: what possible personal 'agenda'/'there is more to this proposal than it appears' could there possibly be around this proposal?

About half of the posts made to Travel News are moved and the rest is a mini-Travel Buzz. I could post ANY of the posts allowed to live in Travel News in Travel Buzz and it would survive there. Having two Travel Buzzes is redundant.

I can see that some folks LIKE having a mini-Travel Buzz, but that doesn't mean it's not a second Travel Buzz. It is.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You're the second person to make this claim. I ask you both again: what possible personal 'agenda'/'there is more to this proposal than it appears' could there possibly be around this proposal?

About half of the posts made to Travel News are moved and the rest is a mini-Travel Buzz. I could post ANY of the posts allowed to live in Travel News in Travel Buzz and it would survive there. Having two Travel Buzzes is redundant.

I can see that some folks LIKE having a mini-Travel Buzz, but that doesn't mean it's not a second Travel Buzz. It is.
I agree with you. Further, why does a diverted Condor flight stay in Travel News (instead of being rerouted to Airlines of Perdition, or whatever the topic is), but a Skywest failure goes to another home?

Only 18 total posts in the past month, 8 of which were locked or redirected, and one additional definitely should have been redirected. Actually, two. Why BOS goes big time isn't a destination topic, I do not know. Maybe 3. Why airplanes being vulnerable to hacking isn't for travel safety/security, I'm not sure.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
well said cblaisd, thats part of my personal philosophy
Originally Posted by rwoman
Agree with those who think Travel News should remain. I also believe cblaisd does an outstanding job managing what gets posted in TN.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
...but since he is not complaining — and, rather, defending its existence — then why close it? Life seems to be easier for those who are uncertain about where to place topics which they believe belong in the Travel News forum; and if cblaisd is more than happy to perform a service and do the work for them, then why not leave it alone?

I do not believe that this forum should be closed....
...I don't see an advantage to closing TN to punt it over to TBuzz, especially given some of the #s posted in this thread where it seems TN still serves a purpose.
Thanks to all of you for both the kind words and the thoughtful apologias for why Travel News is an asset to FT.

A special thanks to those who take the time to PM or use the "Alert A Moderator" button to share you thoughts about particular threads and where they best fit.

Of course I don't understand why there is a continual focus on closing this particular forum either, given there have been multiple attempts to do so.
It is a mystery, isn't it? One has to think there is something else at play.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:31 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

A simple solution — not that a solution is necessary — is to have a policy where discussions with links to news stories posted in the TravelBuzz forum be re-directed to the Travel News forum.

This modest proposal might help clean up the TravelBuzz forum somewhat — I have not researched as to how many discussions are launched with a link to a news story in that forum — while at the same time possibly increasing traffic to the Travel News forum.

Voilà! Any perceived redundancies are virtually eliminated.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:37 pm

Hmmm.... Thanks for thinking about this. On first blush, I'm not sure a policy of moving such threads would be best. I will already say that the Travel Buzz mods do an excellent job in general (but we knew that!) but also are good about moving threads whose chief import seems to be discussion of a travel news article itself, rather than the topic of the news article. Some threads start out, it appears to me, in Travel Buzz and gain news story links along the way, but the topic is the center of discussion. Other threads seem more to be discussion of an article itself (is it fair, accurate, etc.). The TB mods are good about sending the latter to Travel News.

Of course, there can be no bright-line distinction here, but that's the way most of life is
Old May 14, 2015, 11:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
If TB isn't going to close any forums, then perhaps they should be more cautious about determining there is a large enough audience for the forum before opening it.
Such posts are getting tiresome. If there is a forum that you think should be closed, please make a thread suggesting it. We will take any proposal seriously. If there is a consensus that this is a good idea, I will personally make a motion myself suggesting the forum should be closed.

Ad hominem attacks that we open too many forums and close too few are not helpful.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:27 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
Such posts are getting tiresome. If there is a forum that you think should be closed, please make a thread suggesting it. We will take any proposal seriously. If there is a consensus that this is a good idea, I will personally make a motion myself suggesting the forum should be closed.

Ad hominem attacks that we open too many forums and close too few are not helpful.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...line-fora.html

Is there not consensus there? If there is, where is the motion? If not, where is the opposition to post their reasons for opposing it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.