Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

How can we help FT win credit card referral income vs. the blogs?

Old May 5, 15, 4:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member

I was thinking about how much money bloggers make from credit card referrals, despite the fact that much of the motivating information comes from here on FlyerTalk. Second, FlyerTalk is supported by advertising, a revenue stream which may decrease as users employ ad blocking software.

Could FT somehow win a larger share of the market for credit card referrals? Could we find a way to make it simple and convenient for FT members to give back to FT by selecting an FT-sponsored link when applying for a credit card?

I'm thinking in part of UA Fan's excellent locked credit card deals thread. But I'm certain there are other ways FT can structure this, perhaps through a locked Wiki containing links for all the top offers.

Am I completely off base with this idea? Have I overlooked existing features and capabilities?
Old May 5, 15, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx View Post

Am I completely off base with this idea?
Yes.

IB is a large corp owned by an even larger investment firm. I don't really see the need for FTers to add to the coffers of such when that's not the reason they come to FT. FTers come to FT for knowledge re: their airline/hotel programs or to get information re: destinations etc. Not everyone is into bloggers/MS; nor does everyone have ad blockers.

If IB has a problem with their current biz model I'm sure they'll think of a way to adjust it or enhance it themselves if they really want to go after cc referral links. I think it totally weird that a TB member, much less TB, would even float this as it is way-y-y, way beyond TB's scope of responsibilities.

Cheers.
Old May 5, 15, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I think it totally weird that a TB member, much less TB, would even float this as it is way-y-y, way beyond TB's scope of responsibilities.
Couldn't agree more and would recommend TB concern itself with it's own unfulfilled duties such as the missing annual forum traffic review before importing others that are beyond its purview.
Old May 6, 15, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IB already did this by acquiring FTG

i had missed that IB changed owners last year
Old May 6, 15, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Credit card hawking is a turn off....while many blogs have something to offer, I tend to ignore them because of this.
Old May 6, 15, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Couldn't agree more and would recommend TB concern itself with it's own unfulfilled duties such as the missing annual forum traffic review before importing others that are beyond its purview.
It seems TB wants to do everything but that.
Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
Credit card hawking is a turn off....while many blogs have something to offer, I tend to ignore them because of this.
This.
Old May 6, 15, 7:08 am
nsx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
I agree. That's why I would like to see a convenient way for FT members to consciously choose to give their referrals to support FlyerTalk.

Sure, IB could have done something about this ages ago. But IB has a policy of keeping its hands off the structure of FlyerTalk, letting members run it for the most part. So I think it's on us, the members (not particularly TalkBoard, but the people participating in this forum), to come up with ideas.

Shooting arrows is always more fun, but consider that helping FT make money helps maintain the service we enjoy.
Old May 6, 15, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Sure, IB could have done something about this ages ago. But IB has a policy of keeping its hands off the structure of FlyerTalk, letting members run it for the most part. So I think it's on us, the members (not particularly TalkBoard, but the people participating in this forum), to come up with ideas.
If you'd like to make a donation to FT, feel free to do so. IB has a laid back, hands off policy on how FT is run (not by members but by the CD). But it's still a business. If its current biz model isn't working or it wants to enhance it in terms of revenue, I'm sure the minds at IB will come up with something.

BTW - what IS the reason TB hasn't conducted its annual review of forums? If you are interested in performing something that does apply to TB, that would be something you could do - especially since you yourself created some type of spreadsheet for the process.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 15, 8:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
IB already did this by acquiring FTG

i had missed that IB changed owners last year
Fortune - Link

KKR to buy Internet Brands for reported $1.1 billion

by John Kell @johnnerkell JUNE 3, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

...Under the terms of the deal, worth $1.1 billion according to The New York Times, KKR will buy Internet Brands from private-equity firms Hellman & Friedman and JMI Equity.

...California-based Internet Brands, which has about 1,600 employees, generally focuses on four key markets: autos, health, legal, and home and travel. Internet Brands debuted on the public market in 2007 but was acquired for $640 million in cash in 2010.
This ain't Internet Podunk no more. Of course, we Moderators received a considerable raise (my psychic paycheck has truly grown - but that's more about the members and my mod colleagues ).
Old May 6, 15, 8:40 am
nsx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
BTW - what IS the reason TB hasn't conducted its annual review of forums? If you are interested in performing something that does apply to TB, that would be something you could do - especially since you yourself created some type of spreadsheet for the process.
I gave TalkBoard the spreadsheet and my comment that I didn't see any obvious changes needing to be made. I haven't heard any disagreement with that assessment, publicly or privately. Do we need some sort of official declaration that TalkBoard doesn't want to make any changes?
Old May 6, 15, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

I gave TalkBoard the spreadsheet and my comment that I didn't see any obvious changes needing to be made.
No obvious changes? One forum, Budget Middle East and Africa, has seen zero traffic for two months and only a small handful of posts since its creation 16 months ago so how much more obvious could it be that the fragmentation policy of splitting the "Budget" forums off from the "Other" geographical airline forums has been a failure?

Do we need some sort of official declaration that TalkBoard doesn't want to make any changes?
You'd think at least a comment in the forum activity statistics would be the minimum TB could muster, especially since several members made repeated inquiries as to the status of the review.
Old May 6, 15, 9:08 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
This ain't Internet Podunk no more. Of course, we Moderators received a considerable raise (my psychic paycheck has truly grown - but that's more about the members and my mod colleagues ).
Few ventures (well, since circa 1865 anyway) get to operate with free labor.

But it's a hell of a business model if you can get it!
Old May 6, 15, 9:12 am
nsx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
No obvious changes? One forum, Budget Middle East and Africa, has seen zero traffic for two months and only a small handful of posts since its creation 16 months ago so how much more obvious could it be that the fragmentation policy of splitting the "Budget" forums off from the "Other" geographical airline forums has been a failure?
That's a good discussion to have. In the case of geographical organization, traffic is sometimes secondary to ability to find the right place to post. In the case of budget vs. non-budget airlines, that case is much weaker. Please start a thread on this and let's figure out what to do.
Old May 6, 15, 9:17 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post

They're not mods, they're "student ath-uh-letes"
Old May 6, 15, 11:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post

Well, yes.

But we started with the enthusiasm of our community, and it remains - something perhaps unique to FT, much like having a TalkBoard.

Whoda thunk "FlyerTalk" , "KKR" and "1.1 billion dollars" would ever be found in the same sentence? (Yeah, taking liberties here - it was Internet Brands".)

I'm sure IB will figure out the lucrative bits.

Search this Thread