Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum

Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well like I always say, just because it used to be done a different way, doesn't mean that way was superior.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Well like I always say, just because it used to be done a different way, doesn't mean that way was superior.
Nor the current way an improvement.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
Nor the current way an improvement.
We're never going to get a universal consensus. We can wait forever and all that will happen is that nine FTers will post ten different opinions. The best we can do is do what we're elected to do: make decisions that as a whole, are the best for the users of this website. I felt enough discussion has occurred and the TB President who seconded my motion seemed to agree.

There's an election coming up in a few months, if people feel a slower process is better or longer waits or fewer new forums then I invite them to run. I have eight months left in my term and until then I'll continue to operate the way I think is best for Flyertalk and for the people who voted for me.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:06 am

The best we can do is do what we're elected to do: make decisions that as a whole, are the best for the users of this website.
As a volunteer myself I've never doubted that but can't quite reconcile how some decisions such as forum creation happen with such speed while others such as following TB guidelines and conducting an annual forum traffic review are not to be followed at all. Two months is a pretty long time which is how many months that review is overdue.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
We're never going to get a universal consensus. We can wait forever and all that will happen is that nine FTers will post ten different opinions. The best we can do is do what we're elected to do: make decisions that as a whole, are the best for the users of this website. I felt enough discussion has occurred and the TB President who seconded my motion seemed to agree.

There's an election coming up in a few months, if people feel a slower process is better or longer waits or fewer new forums then I invite them to run. I have eight months left in my term and until then I'll continue to operate the way I think is best for Flyertalk and for the people who voted for me.
I do agree. We just recently inserted a waiting period after the announcement before starting to vote. We discuss things for months before even making motions. I've never been involved in an effort where the stakes are so low and the movement so slow! Really!

Let me ask the naysayers: How much harm could possibly occur if we agree to open a new forum for ride-service companies and nobody shows up to post? Maybe we look a little silly? Jumped the gun? So what? We are making a good-faith effort to provide a home for really relevant information about rapidly growing new service providers. And we're moving too fast? I just don't get it.

Obviously, I'm going to vote in favor of this motion, having seconded it. And I hope that it passes. But if it doesn't, that will not demonstrate great thoughtfulness. It will demonstrate our inability to accomplish anything.

Bruce
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:33 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I do agree. We just recently inserted a waiting period after the announcement before starting to vote. We discuss things for months before even making motions. I've never been involved in an effort where the stakes are so low and the movement so slow! Really!

Let me ask the naysayers: How much harm could possibly occur if we agree to open a new forum for ride-service companies and nobody shows up to post? Maybe we look a little silly? Jumped the gun? So what? We are making a good-faith effort to provide a home for really relevant information about rapidly growing new service providers. And we're moving too fast? I just don't get it.

Obviously, I'm going to vote in favor of this motion, having seconded it. And I hope that it passes. But if it doesn't, that will not demonstrate great thoughtfulness. It will demonstrate our inability to accomplish anything.

Bruce
My opposition is the same as it has been with other things... There is no plan to address the "if it fails" scenario. There is, technically, except TalkBoard has ignored that this year, so I doubt it would actually be followed in this case.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by kipper
My opposition is the same as it has been with other things... There is no plan to address the "if it fails" scenario. There is, technically, except TalkBoard has ignored that this year, so I doubt it would actually be followed in this case.
If the motion fails I personally pledge to make a motion for version 1.

If the motion passes and it's lightly trafficked or not trafficked at all, I personally pledge to make a motion to close the forum.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:35 am

If the motion passes and it's lightly trafficked or not trafficked at all, I personally pledge to make a motion to close the forum.
I have eight months left in my term
While commendable I don't foresee TB putting any new forum on so short a leash. In fact some of the least trafficked forums have been open for 16 months and not a thing has been done about them including the mandated annual forum traffic review. What's the harm in TB following its own rules? That's what I don't get.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:37 am

While commendable I don't foresee TB putting any new forum on so short a leash. In fact some of the least trafficked forums have been open for 16 months and not a thing has been done about them including the mandated annual forum traffic review. What's the harm in TB following its own rules? That's what I don't get.
I stand by my pledge, I'll make sure that if the forum isn't what we hoped it would be one of my last acts on TB will be a motion for its closure.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:10 am

I stand by my pledge, I'll make sure that if the forum isn't what we hoped it would be one of my last acts on TB will be a motion for its closure.
It's too short a timeframe to gauge traffic and wouldn't gain any traction for that reason. Why not instead simply pledge to follow TB's own rules and conduct the annual forum traffic review or at the very least offer a good explanation as to why it refuses to do so?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:17 am

It's too short a timeframe to gauge traffic and wouldn't gain any traction for that reason. Why not instead simply pledge to follow TB's own rules and conduct the annual forum traffic review or at the very least offer a good explanation as to why it refuses to do so?
I don't have a good explanation. But I did just create a thread in our private forum so we can get to work on it.

I also think you're being a little unreasonably pessimistic with your first sentence, give us some credit please. Seven months is a good time period and we should at least have an idea of where things are.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Despite having been around for a long time, I've never actually weighed in on a TB issue. I also have to acknowledge a financial interest in one of the companies that would likely be discussed in this forum.

All that said, I'm still not sure why this needs a separate forum. We don't have a forum for taxis, for instance.

I get that these companies may have partnerships with companies that are traditionally discussed here on FT and that they may be of interest to participants here.

But that leads to a philosophical question for TB - what is the overall strategy around centralization vs. decentralization of discussion? Personally, I think a separate ride-sharing forum gets this balance wrong.

If, for instance, I want to hear about or discuss Uber partnerships with UA or SPG, I don't want to have to know to go to another forum to do so. I want to hear about them and discuss them in the forums I'm already participating in.

Part of what I'm concerned about (and please don't tag me for comments re: moderation) is, for example a post that I made about something very specific to the UA terminal at EWR being moved from the UA forum to the NYC forum. I kind of get what the rationale is, but I, for instance, never visit the NYC forum, and that particular subject was of interest to people who transit through EWR and never actually step foot in NYC proper.

I'm concerned about similar moderation decisions being made, which, in my view wouldn't make sense.

Greg
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:13 am

One of the reasons I want this central forum goes to what you mentioned above. The destination forums as a whole are pretty lightly trafficked. A question about Uber in Raleigh put in the South forum would likely be virtually ignored. I'm hoping with the reward tie ins and the growing popularity of this service, a dedicated forum will get a decent amount of traffic. And if not, I'll be the first to apologize.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
One of the reasons I want this central forum goes to what you mentioned above. The destination forums as a whole are pretty lightly trafficked. A question about Uber in Raleigh put in the South forum would likely be virtually ignored. I'm hoping with the reward tie ins and the growing popularity of this service, a dedicated forum will get a decent amount of traffic. And if not, I'll be the first to apologize.
Totally get that, but (to my knowledge) none of those services have loyalty programs separate from those that are already included here. If one of them added a loyalty program, then I think it would make sense to add it.

Greg

Last edited by greg99; Apr 28, 2015 at 9:29 am Reason: Pocket send.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:32 am

I also think you're being a little unreasonably pessimistic with your first sentence, give us some credit please. Seven months is a good time period and we should at least have an idea of where things are.
I prefer realist and think it realistic based on past TB unwillingness to review forum traffic that it view that time frame as insufficient. Seven months should be enough time but then again there are 16 month-old forums that are so lightly trafficked that one hasn't seen a post of any kind in almost 2 months and that's a pretty long time.

I don't see this forum proposed forum as necessary or fulfilling an unmet need but will leave it at that and hope enough on TB see if the same way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.